bench
bench
T
That's also how I read it. All is well.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Wayne--you could not be any closer to the truth in your post. Todd and Will also make extemely good points.
I don't think any of you have to worry, because if this is the path that D.A. continues to pursue, self destruction is in their future.

The D.A. is run nothing like this in Europe( which is ironic as I think they are trying to copy the model to a certain extent).

Playing for your Primary and Secondary school teams was encouraged by the Y.S.(Youth Systems) as they were called and indeed some of their coaches would attend our school matches. That being said, technical level of play was probably better, because virtually everybody played, making the talent pool almost unlimited.
The Y.S. chose to be a part of the school culture and did not want these boys having to deal with any prima dona issues at school that commonly arise in situations like this.

The talent is there at the National level and we have done well in international competition, based on the pecking order soccer now finds itself here.

If you want to know the truth, the rest of the world is probably thinking--" Are you kidding me! How do the Americans field such a technical, talented squad when their Youth Systems compete daily with Football, Basketball, Baseball, Racing and various other sports that depending on the region of the US you live in, all take numbers away.

I am telling you,I lived in Europe for quite a while. Rugby and Cricket take a very few away from your potential, and that is it. Games by the hundreds are played daily from street corners to school yards and if you have been there even for a few days, you know what I am talking about.

Perhaps Klinsman is the answer---One man( the right man) can make a huge difference--Just ask Celtic, Villa and now Sunderland, although I don't think we will see Martin roaming the US sidelines any time soon--pity really.

By the way, I noticed on the resume of one of the senior coaches at D.A. he has listed as having playing experience at "Sheffield United" FC.
Funny, I went to Wikipedia, where they have listed all players past and present and could not find his name. Now if he played in their Y.S., Academy or Reserves( which in my opinion is still a strong accomplishment) it should be listed as such--when you say F.C. and list nothing after it, the implication is clear--you played for the parent club, and unless Wikipedias list is wrong, that aint the case.
But as I mentioned to a friend yesterday---If we were talking about a Baseball D.A. and this was England, what would sound better--that I got called up for one game with the Charleston Riverdogs--or that I played for the New York Yankees?

Sorry Todd, but I have to do it. I am Anthony Pelton and I approve this message.

T
bench
bench
T
I miss you, Anthony.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Right back at you Todd. Good luck to you and the Trojans this year!

Goal
Goal
Quote:

By the way, I noticed on the resume of one of the senior coaches at D.A. he has listed as having playing experience at "Sheffield United" FC.
Funny, I went to Wikipedia, where they have listed all players past and present and could not find his name. Now if he played in their Y.S., Academy or Reserves( which in my opinion is still a strong accomplishment) it should be listed as such--when you say F.C. and list nothing after it, the implication is clear--you played for the parent club, and unless Wikipedias list is wrong, that aint the case.
But as I mentioned to a friend yesterday---If we were talking about a Baseball D.A. and this was England, what would sound better--that I got called up for one game with the Charleston Riverdogs--or that I played for the New York Yankees?

*Candidate for post of the year*

R
kick off
kick off
R
I thought long and hard about whether to respond but decided I needed to as my integrity has been brought into question.
It is easy for people to come on boards like this and make a statements that can harm the reputation of someone they simply don't know or by posting untruths. Before posting I wanted to speak with AP and tonight we chatted for a long time. We had a very amicable conversation and ended in a friendly manner. Prior to this telephone call he thought I was fraud touting playing experience to recruit players to play for the DA. I think his opinion had now changed. I have respect for his tenure in soccer within sc and feel no ill will to his post now we have had chance to talk.

I played for Sheffield United from 1994-1998 in the youth academy, reserves, and one time for the first team in a game versus Everton at the opening of the new John St stand.

I was captain of the academy for the 1996-97 and 1997-98 season. I played over 30 times for the reserves of over the same two seasons.

Evidently my name is not appearing on the Wikipedia website. I believe it is because I did not appear in a first team league match. However AP assures me, after talking with wikipedia, that I should appear based on my youth career.

To be honest I don't care that my name is not up there. My coaching career has never been built on my past playing experience nor have I have used it to recruit a player to come play on my team.

AP says he did the research (I believe him)and upon his findings felt I was a fraud. After talking with me I feel as though he would reconsider that notion.

I love the game of soccer and respect all that put their lives into it. I love SC and hope we can find a way to provide all levels of the game for its players given the new landscape. As adults and coaches it is important for us keep the best interests of the players in mind. My opinion is in SC hat means finding a way to keep the DA as an option to our players for now and the future. I also understand others will disagree and feel no HS soccer is too big a price to pay for SC in order to have DA. The culture of soccer in the USA is changing, time will tell if it is for the better. I say we would be doing a disservice if we, soccer coaches of sc, did not try and work together to find a way to make it work for the players of SC to participate in the league sanctioned by our governing body.

Let's look at solutions for the game to prosper not for ways to destroy each other.

Also please remember SCU Battery did not make the change to the rules regarding HS participation.

On a final note- my conversation with AP was amicable and ended in a friendly manner.

If anyone would like proof of my participation with Sheffield United I am sure Sue Strickland would have some photos or newspaper clippings in my scrapbook back in Hull

Last edited by robstrickland; 02/11/12 01:20 AM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Why not ....

"It amazes me how few of the other US sports that compete at international levels insist on the narrow-minded stance that high school play gets in the way"

Really? And pray do tell, just how long have other countries around the world played baseball, basketball and American Football at the High School level???

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Again ...

"IF USSF is serious about improving the national pool, it needs to encourage players not only to quit high school, but to forego college as well"

Totally agree ... College may be more of a detriment to soccer in the USA than HS ....

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I suggest Shut Up and Play withdraws his / her nomination!! Or I have a nomination for Shut Up and Play ....

World Cup
World Cup
From Soccer America's Youth Insider:

High school Fun.Mike Barr’s YSI “The case for high school soccer” produced an enormous amount of feedback and we’ll continue to cover the topic, which has heated up since the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s move to a 10-month season that doesn’t allow for high school play. Several supporters of high school ball in Soccer America’s chat room and in letters to the editor make the argument that kids relish playing for their schools.

One reader shared an anecdote of a player who skipped his junior year of high school ball at the behest of his Academy club, but sits on the bench at every game, cheering on his schoolmates, and has vowed to quit his Academy team as soon as he seals a college deal. Then he’ll return to play high school ball his senior year.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard