Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
B
brace
brace
B
The one question so-far unanswered here is: How do college coaches feel about the Academy announcement? Are college coaches with 2013 commitments going to suggest/require those kids to play Academy, or will they give kids an option? And, will as-yet uncommitted 2013s suffer from NOT playing Academy in the Fall?

T
bench
bench
T
Jay-Jay - Brilliant and erudite. Well said.

kick off
kick off
I see all the post about the DA or High School if my son had a choice it would be DA but lucky for his High School there is not room on the DA for him. There also is another problem for players like my son. He is a good player but has not been selected for the DA. He trains and plays at a high level but the problem lies with this. As the DA grows with only one DA team in SC, they select players from different clubs to build the team that the DA coaches feel would be the best options to field a strong competitive team. As the better players usual are pulled from the premier teams which in essence waters down the premier team. When the premier team loses one to two players the team could survive if they can find players to replace the lost talents which is a hit or miss. However if the same premier team gets hit year after year and losing some of the best players to the DA then the Premier team would be left with few options for the remaining players that were not selected for the DA. He could continue to play club but if his team is pulled apart to the point they would not be competitive even at a lower level of play what would you do? He could play up an age group that he could handle but if he was playing in the U18 bracket then what would he do the following year when you would be back to square one. He could change clubs but that would mean driving great distances to practice during school nights. Not play club and join the Adult leagues until college. The options are not looking really good.
DA is as highly competitive soccer that our youth will ever see and I feel that if a player wants to take their soccer to the next level it's a path that should be looked hard into. I just wished that our state could have more than one team but our talent base may not be there just yet to support that but its coming I hope but too late for my son or so it seems.
So bottom line if a player would like to choose HS over DA let us know for my son would gladly fill the empty slot and forgo HS and his HS coach would support my son all the way which he already has stated many times!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Sure, this decision will affect a very small number of individual players, and high schools as a whole, but certain high schools will feel it hard. This also means that a few more kids will be able to make their high school teams, which is great, but it also signals that those who play on high school teams are incapable of playing at a higher level. It makes achievement in soccer too elite, so elite, that it's offputting...

...If the problem really is a lack of development in high school programs, why can't the solution be to improve the high school programs? Not cut them out of the picture? This looks more like a turf war instead of what's good for our players (code word "player development").

JayJay,

A very well thought-out post! Along with some other things that got me digging around over the last day or two, it got me to thinking as well.

U.S. Soccer bills itself as "the governing body of soccer in all of its forms in the United States." However, how true is this, actually? How much influence does U.S. Soccer have over high school soccer programs? I didn't see the NFHS under the list of USSF affiliates. This, in turn, got me to thinking...is it a matter that high school programs are deemed inferior and those who choose high school aren't good enough to play at the next level--or is it a matter that those players, in that context, simply aren't under U.S. Soccer's control, but under the influence of programs and coaches who don't answer directly to U.S. Soccer and thus aren't held accountable to U.S. Soccer's methods and goals?

Just talking out possibilities at the keyboard, but it's my nature to look at all things from all angles, even the ones that aren't always politically correct...there are a lot of motives and angles in between "what's best for player development" and "turf war," and sometimes it's between the lines that you will find the nearest thing to truth.

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
Goal
1. Who is cutting HS out of the picture? Did someone really say for HS to stop playing soccer?

2. Which program in the state is supposedly going to suffer greatly? What is the name of the HS?

3. What is a job of a coach?

S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Claudio Reyna and the rest of US Soccer has just been hinting at it with some of the changes they have been making.

For example: Switching the development academy clubs to a 10 month season.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Claudio Reyna and the rest of US Soccer has just been hinting at it with some of the changes they have been making.

For example: Switching the development academy clubs to a 10 month season.

Yeah...I read the article a long time ago. They are not suggesting for HS to cut their program.

There seems to be much overreaction to this suggestion. HS is not being lost or forgotten or cut from any HS at the suggestion of US Soccer or USSF or Reyna. So, why are people insisting that this is so?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

1. Who is cutting HS out of the picture? Did someone really say for HS to stop playing soccer?

Nobody. Nope, and it probably wouldn't have much effect if they did.

Quote:

2. Which program in the state is supposedly going to suffer greatly? What is the name of the HS?

Doubtfully any will suffer "greatly" unless there is a surge in DA participation that is beyond all expectations. Might actually be interesting to see how the depth chart works out under local training.

Quote:

3. What is a job of a coach?

Now THAT one depends on who you ask...many different stakeholders have different goals. The "job" of a US National Team coach might be perceived as very different from the "job" of a U18 Classic coach, or a high school coach, or a college coach, or an Academy coach, etc. I guess my best answer to that would be that the job of a coach is to best meet the needs of the program and the players.

I've got good news and bad news...
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I have read many of the comments here and I would like to put my two cents in and try to do so as unbiased as possible.

Pros for HS - it fits the sense community, it is socially important to be recognized as a member of the squad, it allows the player to enjoy participating with his life long friends

Cons for HS - most schools cannot provide acceptable coaching, most schools facilities are not suitable, most schools pay minimal stipend to coaches who have to spend the same amount of time as other sports, most school cannot field highly competitive teams ( this is the reason why the same schools are talked about year after year), every year the roster makeup changes, Not all states play the same season

Pros for DA - Highly structured, competitive games, competitive teammates, qualified "highly" compensated coaches, team "stability" every year

Cons for DA - playing Costs (paid by player),travel costs (paid by player), and I am sure plenty of others

The article states the demand for the 10 month season was brought up by the clubs... these are the same group of people who "benefit" from the ruling would they have voted against it?

On the other hand many of the arguments made for HS goes clearly against what HS do today

Billy and johnny go to the same school but they are "segregated" because of their academic abilities. Billy takes AP classes Johnny takes normal classes. Therefore HS recognize that learning is dependent on the individual's ability to grasp the requirements ... would this not be the same argument for different levels in a sport?

HS cannot do development of players to the extent that is discussed here. Most know that players develop most of their technical capabilities by around 14 at which time it tilts toward tactical development. You cannot develop players that are not all on the same page (see Billy and Johnny above)

And lastly...It is a shame that participating in a socially important time of one's life is reduced to having to make a choice at 14 (as many DA are moving in this direction). Perhaps it would have been easier to work with if the whole country played HS at the same time. I can agree with many of the comments about the feeling that players get with HS sport... In the end they are two separate issues

I am afraid there are no simple answers one way or the other

J
bench
bench
J
High school is being cut out of the Big Picture, as in marginalized, not eradicated.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard