Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Another interesting sidebar here involves D.A.coaches( and they have some outstanding ones). Three that I know of(two that have talked to me personally)have said they will have to leave because of full time job considerations and family when the 10 month schedule starts.

It will be interesting to see the replacements as alot of the states top coaching heirarchy seems tapped out.

This is a legit issue......a lot of Academy clubs are using college coaches and I'm assuming that will end now. No doubt extending the season will also push some coaches out.

But it could also pull coaches in. We found Academy to be extremely well organized. I am sure given the visibility, level of play and level of pay.....Academy clubs will have no problem pulling in high level coaches, where needed.

Its an issue, not a concern, IMO.

A
Goal
Goal
A
I know the competitiveness at the Academy level is unqestionable, but I would think that the gap between first and second team is small indeed because of the obvious talent.
I am not trying to pick on B.D.'s example of the Cobb scrimmage or the R3 scrimmage as I am sure his son is a fine player, but if one absent player can possibly make that kind of difference, well wow, I really don't know what to say.
Opportunities to shine in upper level anything(assuming talent is relatively close)because of absence, should produce a surprise or two--just ask Jeremy Lin.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I probably shouldn't have mentioned my son in that example. He would have helped....but wouldn't have changed the essence of the game.

Cobb was better 2 years ago than his R3 team was. And SCU was probably a better Academy side last year than his Academy team from 2 years ago.

Confused?

How about this....this past Fall, his R3 team scrimmaged and beat twice......his Academy team.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Cole Sieler is an incredible player. I am not questioning that at all. He could really have helped the u-18 academy team who struggled to score goals. But in my eyes, Joe is better. It doesnt matter whether you agree or disagree. Pat Khouri is also very good however, facts are he did not get selected to the residency team that Joe Amon started for. Therefore he is not on the same team, and is not playing up. Also, Erik Clark, Brock King, and Andrew Davis played for CESA and now all play major roles on the DA U-16's. And Evan Brandon left CESA to play for the DA but unfortunately left the team. If the CESA 95 boys beat the Dallas Texans DA then that is great for them. However I doubt that they played the development academy team. I would like to see proof of the game. And the Academy team in charleston pulls not only from charleston, it is a state wide team.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

3. What is a job of a coach?

Now THAT one depends on who you ask...many different stakeholders have different goals. The "job" of a US National Team coach might be perceived as very different from the "job" of a U18 Classic coach, or a high school coach, or a college coach, or an Academy coach, etc. I guess my best answer to that would be that the job of a coach is to best meet the needs of the program and the players.

I'll restate:

What is the job of a HS coach?

B
brace
brace
B
The key phrase: "in my eyes."
In evaluating players, beauty is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder.
That we are having this discussion points to the most important thread-related element: i.e., that there are several similarly valid venues for "development."
There is no single "right" way; or if there is, our USMNT hasn't found it yet, and is continuing to grope for answers. I'm not at all convinced that a 10-month Academy season is (or is not) the answer to Herr Klinsmann's need for better players.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

High school is being cut out of the Big Picture, as in marginalized, not eradicated.

The Big Picture? For a kid that has a shot at a National Pool? No.

I haven't read an argument that didn't list mostly social reasons for HS soccer. The arguments for DA talk about player development.

If you were trying to get to the next level, do you want to be prepared?

Again, no one is eradicating or marginalizing HS soccer as a whole. They are offering services to the elite player that most HS programs can't offer. What HS coach would HONESTLY not want a player developing to move on to the next level?

B
brace
brace
B
As to high school coaching, the good ones in all sports develop district-wide programs, including "feeder systems," that espouse consistently high principles of competition. They insist on accountability on the training ground, in games and in the classroom. They provide a nurturing, educational environment, and they put their kids in position to succeed.

B
brace
brace
B
Friend: My son has "developed" in BOTH environments. The "social" aspect is a bonus.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Friend: My son has "developed" in BOTH environments. The "social" aspect is a bonus.

In all seriousness, I am happy that your son did develop in both situations

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard