Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
TSO #154065 02/17/12 04:35 PM
world cup
world cup
That's my point. It's easier to officiate a higher-level match when the kids are playing the ball and you have quality players with experienced (well-behaved) fans on the sidelines.

When you have a high school varsity boys "backyard brawl" (rivalry game), and the match gets physical, and perhaps chippy, the referee doesn't look so good. Testosterone flares! Passion is high and everyone's vision (perspective) gets skewed.

I've had coaches yell at me, "Come on ref, swallow your whistle and let the game flow". Sixty seconds later the same coach yells, "Geezus ref, I can't believe you missed that. Call something!".

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I explained "advantage" to a few parents one night in the stands. With this new found knowledge they began yelling "Come on ref, call advantage earlier!".

Contemplating this hurts my brain in a way that only a Stephen Hawking special on Discovery or "does this make me look fat?".

B
brace
brace
B
Hurst: My original observation stands. Too many high school officials are not fit enough to officiate upper-level boys' matches, REGARDLESS of parents, coaches, testosterone and whatever other issue prevails.
When an official is consistently 40 yards from a call, and seldom ventures outside the middle 15-20 yards of the field, he/she is:
1) Unfit; 2) Unwilling to work; 3) Unaccountable; or 4) Any combination of the above.
In fairness, this problem is not unique to soccer. That doesn't change the fact that high school soccer officials currently are not expected to meet specific fitness standards/times; but rather, simply to fall somewhere (generally, kind of, sorta) in the middle of the group.
Not acceptable.
While I don't sanction it, I can not blame a "crazed parent" or even a hot-tempered player for dissent when an unfit official gets a call wrong from 40 yards away ... when a gentle 5-second jog would have closed the gap to 20 yards.
The very folks who should NOT accept this are the officials who are fit, work hard and genuinely care about the game and the kids who play it. Instead, they make excuses.

I
goal
goal
I
We have had refs call stuff from 80-90 (figure length and width of the field) yards away, when the other guy was right there. And then he gives a PK?

D
throw in
throw in
D
Another change that would help -- mandate 3 officials to a match instead of the 2 you see at many HS matches. Kind of hard to call the line when you are out in the middle of the pitch. We can have upteen officials at a football(American) game but can't get a lousy 3 officials for soccer.

world cup
world cup
dk99,

According to Backscreen, it's very easy to find 3 lousy officials for a match.

Seriously, you are correct. In the Rock Hill region, we make every attempt to have three officials for EVERY boys & girls varsity match. Even the lowest-level, and least-competitive matches, get 3 officials.

Backscreen, what do you want me to tell you? Don't you think if more fit and experienced referees were available, then these "overweight" guys wouldn't get games? Supply and demand?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
5 refs for American football, 3 for soccer should not be out of the question. A good center makes all the difference.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
At our school it comes down to money. It's hard for us to pay for 3 for every match.

Kickoff
Kickoff
I'll second that - it always comes down to money.

Brace
Brace
Quote:

Hurst: My original observation stands. Too many high school officials are not fit enough to officiate upper-level boys' matches, REGARDLESS of parents, coaches, testosterone and whatever other issue prevails.
When an official is consistently 40 yards from a call, and seldom ventures outside the middle 15-20 yards of the field, he/she is:
1) Unfit; 2) Unwilling to work; 3) Unaccountable; or 4) Any combination of the above.
In fairness, this problem is not unique to soccer. That doesn't change the fact that high school soccer officials currently are not expected to meet specific fitness standards/times; but rather, simply to fall somewhere (generally, kind of, sorta) in the middle of the group.
Not acceptable.
While I don't sanction it, I can not blame a "crazed parent" or even a hot-tempered player for dissent when an unfit official gets a call wrong from 40 yards away ... when a gentle 5-second jog would have closed the gap to 20 yards.
The very folks who should NOT accept this are the officials who are fit, work hard and genuinely care about the game and the kids who play it. Instead, they make excuses.

Backscreen, agree for the most part. Being an ex-ref I feel a physical test should be a requirement at all levels of reffing with the bar set higher as you move up. One area that would also help is more frequent and 'honest' assessments. This would include flagging those refs that should not be asked back if performance doesn't improve. I stopped reffing after double hip replacement as I felt I couldn't earn my money and do the job right I was being paid to do. Some of the existing refs should go thru that same thought process. If an assignor wants to send a lower caliber ref to a game, then let the teams pay a lower rate. The teams are paying good money and should get good reffing. P.S. Training for refs needs be on-going!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard