Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#154115 02/17/12 12:19 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
I heard that Renee Lopez left USC Upstate and was taking a DII position at Colorado Christian. Why did she leave only after two seasons? Seems like she didn't even give it time?

Goal
Goal
hard to coach there

world cup
world cup
Quote:

hard to coach there

Very nice campus, very affordable school.

Men's basketball team has won 7 of their last 8 games, 17-10 overall and 10-4 in the A-Sun Conference.

Men's cross country dominates the A-Sun Conference.

Why won't it work for women's soccer?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

hard to coach there

Very nice campus, very affordable school.

Men's basketball team has won 7 of their last 8 games, 17-10 overall and 10-4 in the A-Sun Conference.

Men's cross country dominates the A-Sun Conference.

Why won't it work for women's soccer?

How many D-I soccer schools are there in the state? How many are going to make upstate their first choice? What kind of success did the coach, before this last one, have? Upstate is a nice campus, but there are many more factors that go into a collegiate program than that.

First, all the big schools get their picks. Then, you have kids that want to play in certain conferences. Next, there are kids that want to stay close to home or leave for that matter. ALso, factor in the talented kids that people are not recruiting for good reasons. By the time you get down to the place where you can recruit, the pool is shallow.

G
Throw In
Throw In
G
Wow, when I first read the headline I was overjoyed, thinking Hooks was leaving the men's program. It's time for him to move on and play golf everyday and not have to worry about fitting in soccer stuff.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Notsofastfriend, rest assured that with the right person in charge USCU could move up the rankings by at least 100 spots within a year or two if, and it is a big IF, that excuse of an AD would care enough to hire the right person!

Lopez got the job because she was willing to accept peanuts (and at the time she was willing to say Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full Sir!!)

GB, did Hooks win another trophy for the most rounds of golf played in one year?

Brace
Brace
Reccos, agree and not sold on that pool being that shallow per notsofast. USCU should be able to offer some pretty attractive packages for Carolina players and their conference is pretty good. And as Hurst stated, much nicer facilities and campus than some of those schools that they are competing against for players. The right coach and right attitude could make a huge difference at that school.

I
goal
goal
I
The right coach and the right attitude always makes a big difference. The AD is a blockage to improvements here.

Does USCU give the max allowed amount of scholarships? You can not give the right amount of money to attract the right kind of players.
Why would you pay a D1 coach, less than every high school football coach in the same county?
Can not attract the right kind of coach for peanuts.
Why would you turn down huge donations so you can have microscopic control? Urban legand has it he turned down a brand new bus.

Another view point...
Honestly answer this question... as a 18 year old... You can go to Spartanburg for 4 years, or CofC for 4 years

At the D1 level USCU is tough place.

Goal
Goal
Import,

Just out of curiosity, what do you base your assessment of my take on the pool NOT being so shallow? I can tell you that I am basing mine on talking with a former USCU coach.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Pool- yearly recruits- USC maybe 1 girl, Clemson maybe 1, College of Charleston, Furman say 2 each. After that, USCU has the facilities, campus, $$$, etc to compete with the other SC schools. So say USCU can't get the top 5 players, there are a lot more players than just 5-6 deep in SC that can help a D1 program. And if they can promise starting/playing time etc, players that want to play will consider them. Then its the coaches job to close the deal.

Goal
Goal
What about Wofford? Coastal? Winthrop? Then, start knocking on the doors of D-II schools as well. Like I said, there is more to it then just a big name school. Sometimes, the parents want the child to attend their alma mater. It's not as superficial as you are making it out to be

Brace
Brace
nsf, right now I would have to agree with first touch. Coastal, didn't see on SC on that list of ten. Wofford is player is academic minded hard to beat, USCU should be able to compete easily with Winthrop. Talent level in SC is getting better and deeper each year. Add up the SC players on those SC schools that would rank higher the USCU and tell me what you get. Furman probably has more than the others combined.

D
kick off
kick off
D
The way I look at it, USC Upstate is a sleeping power in the ASUN! The coach there was very poor and honestly SC students have nothing to do with how succesful they can be. The coach could easily get in state tuition for anyone, so whoever gets in there could have immediate success.

Look at SC State - the they have little money, no facilities, and the reputation in the state is not the greatest. Although the had a bad year this season, last couple of years they won a bunch of games, beat many teams in the state and the Navy. With a bunch a California kids!!

So you cannot tell me USC Upstate could not be succesful.

I
goal
goal
I
Being an ASUN power does not equal D1 success... IMHO

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
In regards to SC State soccer: They have a very good coach in Glad Bugariu, who built Belmont Abbey into a winner. The key anywhere is a good coach and staff. Maybe Upstate could grab Bugariu.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

nsf, right now I would have to agree with first touch. Coastal, didn't see on SC on that list of ten. Wofford is player is academic minded hard to beat, USCU should be able to compete easily with Winthrop. Talent level in SC is getting better and deeper each year. Add up the SC players on those SC schools that would rank higher the USCU and tell me what you get. Furman probably has more than the others combined.

It seems to me like you are assuming that these players in SC want to stay in SC. That's not the case 100% of the time. Again, it's not as simple as you seem to be making it

Brace
Brace
It has to start somewhere. That is with a coach that has a passion and believe.

In response to "Being an ASUN power does not equal D1 success... IMHO ", that list is very short if talking D1 powerhouses in SC.

I would recommend setting a benchmark against Coastal, Winthrop, etc. for USCU and building from there.

world cup
world cup
Atlantic Sun vs. Big South in the conference power rankings, who is stronger?

I noticed today that Florida Gulf Coast's womens basketball team "also received votes" in the Top 25 rankings. A few years ago Liberty had a little run but I don't see any BSC schools making noise this year.

On the men's side, back in the Marshall Era, no question that Winthrop was first-class. Today, Upstate's team is stronger than Winthrop's.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
Should we not measure success versus SEC, then the ACC? I just think USCU is tough versus those schools. That was my point all along.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Should we not measure success versus SEC, then the ACC? I just think USCU is tough versus those schools. That was my point all along.

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. If you're a D1 program, and you consistently win or finish at the top of your conference, then you are successful at the D1 level.

Would you consider Bojangle's to be a successful fast food chain? They don't have near as many stores as KFC, McDonald's or Wendy's.

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Quote:

In regards to SC State soccer: They have a very good coach in Glad Bugariu, who built Belmont Abbey into a winner. The key anywhere is a good coach and staff. Maybe Upstate could grab Bugariu.

I agree Glads done well at SC STATE. But I don't think Upstate can afford him? My husband works in Higher ED and said the salary will be low? Also you have to consider that certain players can get into SC State that might not be able to get into another state school, or qualify for certain monies i.e. scholarships/funds that SC State can offer. My daughter was told by a recruit that the Associate head coach will remain on staff, and is also putting in for the job, and will be considered. I think Upstate looks else where, maybe the female route? Just the inside I received.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Previous coach sent out a blanket email that she was unhappy for a long time( 2 years she was there... I assume she was unhappy the day she arrived) and did not receive the support she needed from the AD.( probably true)

Having had a daughter play for her I know this, she was young and tried very hard but unfortunately she lost the respect of her players very early due to some poor decision making, player discipline or lack of and lack of coaching knowledge. She appeared desperate in recruiting thus brought in many players not at a level to compete in D1.

The current assistant is staying for the time being. They only have about 13 players left from a roster of 30 or so. 4 graduated the remaider lost quit due to the coach. Now that she has left some have asked to return.

Whomever is hired will once again have to clean up a messy situation. It is possible to have a quality program there as it offers nice facilities, is reasonably priced , decent campus and a good location. If AD took the time and cared about hiring a quality coach, things would be drastically different in both the mens and womens programs.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Well said Celtic9.
Once they hire a great coach and support her/him, USCU will be a top womens soccer program.
We have some great coaches in this state who are at DII level that could turn this program around.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. If you're a D1 program, and you consistently win or finish at the top of your conference, then you are successful at the D1 level.

Would you consider Bojangle's to be a successful fast food chain? They don't have near as many stores as KFC, McDonald's or Wendy's.

Which one is UNCC (McDonalds), you think USCU can do that?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
It makes you wonder with all the great club coaches in that area of the state why wouldn't they be considered

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Latest from a USC Upstate Player is that the interim Head Coach will be getting the position as Head coach.

B
brace
brace
B
It's USC Upstate ... do you really EXPECT anything like a genuine and professional search for a replacement?

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
I was just told by an inside sources that Abby Crumpton has interviewed and been on campus? That would be a greta hire for the program.

D
throw in
throw in
D
I hope that USC Upstate athletic admin makes a good hire. I am not familiar with Ms. Crumpton other than her player bio on the Clemson web site. According to the info, she was an incredible player/striker, being Michigan's all time leading scorer. It brings to mind a former Clemson men's star who holds similar records and was recently inducted into the hall of fame. Incredible player, one of the worst coaches I have ever had the displeasure to have contact with. I pray this is a different situation with the Michigan star. Maybe someone who is familiar with her can fill us in. "Great players do not always make great coaches".

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Interviews start monday.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

I hope that USC Upstate athletic admin makes a good hire. I am not familiar with Ms. Crumpton other than her player bio on the Clemson web site. According to the info, she was an incredible player/striker, being Michigan's all time leading scorer. It brings to mind a former Clemson men's star who holds similar records and was recently inducted into the hall of fame. Incredible player, one of the worst coaches I have ever had the displeasure to have contact with. I pray this is a different situation with the Michigan star. Maybe someone who is familiar with her can fill us in. "Great players do not always make great coaches".

I think she was an asst at Michigan for atleast one year.

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
So any word on who all interviewed? Its getting close to school getting out at USC Upstate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard