Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Alister great job to you and Pete and your staffs also, true sportsmanship, two rivals, playing hard to win, but also raising money for a good cause

Scott D. Ruggles
Stratford High School
A
Goal
Goal
A
@ Prosperity 4/19
Newberry 2 Mid Carolina 1

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Starters played a total of 30 minutes together-- 15 in the first half, 15 in the second half. The dogs were called off.

I find it more disrespectful to tell your players to take out another player from behind, especially when that kid just returned from knee surgery and missed 10 games.

The bench was cleared for the majority of this game.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Adam Cole
Head Boy's Soccer Coach
Indian Land High School (4A)
R
Throw In
Throw In
R
4/19/2012 @ Richmond Academy GA

Aiken 6
ARC 3

Brace
Brace
I have been on both sides of these games. These days I will take players off the field until it is an even game. All I do is get the ref's attention and tell him I am removing a player. I have found that the guys I leave out there have to work harder as well, which is a good thing.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
The situation is a no-win situation for any involved. I've been on both ends of the outcome, more frequent the losing end. Here's my 1 cent worth:

With playoffs 2 weeks away, you want to make sure your starting unit clicks at all times. So getting them minutes together is crucial. Personally, I would think the starting 11 should get a 3-4 goal lead then play possession for the remainder of their pre-determined time is the best practice they could get! Or you make them play so many consecutive passes before shooting, up the number each shot. Or can only score on headers, or crosses, etc... As a coach you know there is something your team needs to work on, this is as good a time as any to work on that aspect.
It's equally important to get your reserves in the game as they can become a key player at any moment (injuries, cards, attitude, effort, etc...). Not to mention those reserves have worked just as hard as the starters and deserve the playing time. To put a reserve in and tell them they can't score isn't fair to all the training they've put in. I do think you let them score to a certain number, then you tell them no more and play possession.
I do like the idea of taking players off, however that can be just as disheartening for the other team when they can't win a ball from the other team that is playing 2-4 players down! Personally, I prefer mixing my lineup up and putting players in positions they aren't used to playing, make them grow as a player and perhaps respect another positions work.

Being on the losing end you hope your team will play the full 80 minutes with heart and play for pride. Being a non-traditional soccer school playing a tradition rich soccer school, your players can learn a lot from watching how the other team conducts itself. How are they passing, where are they positioned, where are they making runs from, how are they communicating, etc...
If the losing team isn't playing hard, then the other team is not gaining any valuable experience from the match and probably would've been better off staying at home doing an inter-squad scrimmage!

Like I said, this is a no win situation for all involved.

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
Brace
Brace
Having played Chester a few times their coach and players have a great attitude and approach at all times. They don't deserve that 'disrespect' and IL should know better as they have been on the other end not long ago.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Quote:

@ Chester

Indian Land- 18
Chester- 0

I understand that you play to outplay your opponent but to run the score up that high? I dont know, that seems a bit much.

Jesus, here we go again. I'm not an advocate for handicapping yourself by taking players off or "limiting goals". Sure it sucks to be scored on but, assuming the opposing teams isn't doing some obnoxious fish catching celebrations or something, I'd rather be scored on and restart then ball chase for 80 minutes 10v7 or something. It's the responsibility of the losing team to get on the level of the winning team. That's sports. These games happen in all sports not just soccer. Sorry to offend your pacifistic sensibilities. Share your orange slices, oatmeal cream pies and capri suns after the game if you like. I'm a total advocate of clearing the bench so the other players get to play a significant amount but taking players off the field or stopping the ball on the goal-line is even more insulting.

Puttin A's on B's
B
brace
brace
B
I had this discussion recently while watching a heavily favored team play outfield players as keeper, the keepers as outfield players, and most everyone else at unaccustomed positions. FROM THE START. While I understand that approach, I would say that an injury to a player in an unaccustomed role might raise a few eyebrows.
I kind of prefer playing it straight, to a point. I'd use my starters in customary roles for 20-25 minutes, perhaps with some "restrictions," then lift them and let everyone else play the rest of the way. If I had any concern about the effort required from the starters, I'd run a light technical training session for perhaps 30 minutes before game warm-ups.
To go back to the original approach -- playing kids out of position -- I will say that both sides of a one-sided game took it in good spirits and appeared to be having fun. And as my fellow conversationalist pointed out, that's a good thing.
The coaches' and players' demeanor are central to the good spirit.

Bench
Bench
April 17

Loris 6
Mullins 0

Loris Goals
Shammond Jackson 2
Levi Moody
Charaldoric Williams
Hamza Alsardian
Jacob Packer

----------