Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how many open major tournaments have the current CESA ECNL teams applied to and played in over the last 2-3 years? How many of the players on the current CESA ECNL rosters have attended Region III ODP camp?

The current ECNL teams have played primarily in ECNL events over the last two to three years. Most have played in the Cesa Soccer Classic, although that wasn't possible this year because it was a Premier League weekend. Of course, up to this point, they have played in the State Cup (and done well).

As far as ECNL players who have gone to the Region 3 ODP camp, you could always go to the ECNL site and click on each player to see their soccer achievements. ODP in SC is a program that has struggled for some time now, so kids who could make it have decided not to participate.

Observer made the comment that anyone could play ECNL. I don't agree. That's like saying every jv player could play varsity. So, why not just have one big team? With that said, there are probably quite a few players out there who could play, but they or their parents have decided it's not the right fit for them. I also don't believe that most of our ECNL players at CESA need to seek out a Flight A team in GA or NC. How about we develop the ECNL teams with our local and our SC talent? We have some very good teams that are going to continue to get better.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how many open major tournaments have the current CESA ECNL teams applied to and played in over the last 2-3 years? How many of the players on the current CESA ECNL rosters have attended Region III ODP camp?

The current ECNL teams have played primarily in ECNL events over the last two to three years. Most have played in the Cesa Soccer Classic, although that wasn't possible this year because it was a Premier League weekend. Of course, up to this point, they have played in the State Cup (and done well).

As far as ECNL players who have gone to the Region 3 ODP camp, you could always go to the ECNL site and click on each player to see their soccer achievements. ODP in SC is a program that has struggled for some time now, so kids who could make it have decided not to participate.

So, no major tournaments (I don't think CESA Classic would be considered major) and maybe a few players here and there still participating in Region III camp in Alabama.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So, no major tournaments (I don't think CESA Classic would be considered major) and maybe a few players here and there still participating in Region III camp in Alabama.

I am not sure of your point. There is very good competition at the ECNL events, against some of the top clubs in the country. Are you saying the national events don't count because they aren't tournaments? I really don't see what you are getting at. As far as ODP goes, just look at the ODP rosters which are starting to come out. As much as the program would like to attract the top talent, it isn't, at least not now. It doesn't matter whether it's an ECNL or non-ECNL team, most are not sending their best players. I would love to see that change, because there is value to ODP, especially if the player has a good coach who is vested in the program.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure of your point. There is very good competition at the ECNL events, against some of the top clubs in the country. Are you saying the national events don't count because they aren't tournaments? I really don't see what you are getting at. As far as ODP goes, just look at the ODP rosters which are starting to come out. As much as the program would like to attract the top talent, it isn't, at least not now. It doesn't matter whether it's an ECNL or non-ECNL team, most are not sending their best players. I would love to see that change, because there is value to ODP, especially if the player has a good coach who is vested in the program.

Yes, ECNL events offer good competition, no argument. Major tournaments also offer good competition. What I'm trying to understand has to do with some claiming in this thread that ECNL events are the end-all for exposure to college coaches. If none of the current ECNL teams have played in a major open tournament the last 2-3 years, then how do those making the claims have the "experience", like you spoke of, to make comparisons and draw conclusions? My daughters have played in both ECNL events and open major tournaments, and I haven't seen enough of a difference in attendance by college coaches to say one venue is better than the other for exposure.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 05/10/12 07:54 PM.
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, ECNL events offer good competition, no argument. Major tournaments also offer good competition. What I'm trying to understand has to do with some claiming in this thread that ECNL events are the end-all for exposure to college coaches. If none of the current ECNL teams have played in a major open tournament the last 2-3 years, then how do those making the claims have the "experience", like you spoke of, to make comparisons and draw conclusions? My daughters have played in both ECNL events and open major tournaments, and I haven't seen enough of a difference in attendance by college coaches to say one venue is better than the other for exposure.

I never made the claim that ECNL is the end all to being seen by coaches. I don't happen to believe that ECNL is the only path to playing in college. So, as I said before, if you and your daughter think ECNL is a good fit for her and your family, try out for a CESA If not,try out for a non-ECNL team. It's a great option for girls who want to play in college. It's not the only option, but it is a very good one. It's all about choices, and it's a good that we have this choice in SC and in the upstate.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I said some here (I assume whose daughters play ECNL and no major tournaments) are making that claim about college exposure. I referenced your point about the significance of experience and am wondering how those making that claim, given no major tournament experience are able to make the comparison regarding exposure. I agree with you, either road can get you where you want to go. At CESA you can tryout for an ECNL team or a non-ECNL team.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

I said some here (I assume whose daughters play ECNL and no major tournaments) are making that claim about college exposure. I referenced your point about the significance of experience and am wondering how those making that claim, given no major tournament experience are able to make the comparison regarding exposure. I agree with you, either road can get you where you want to go. At CESA you can tryout for an ECNL team or a non-ECNL team.

I can only account for what I've said, and I've never made the claim that it's the only path to college, although I've said it is a good one. It's one I feel will get even better with time, but that is yet to be seen and no one can predict the future. I'm still wonder what reference about the significance of experience you are talking about. I can't find so I can't tell what was meant by it.

D
Goal
Goal
D
oh...

"I am encouraging people to get with those who have first hand experience with ECNL to find the answers to their questions rather than listening to those on a soccer forum who may not have any experience with that."

I figured that was good advice in either direction.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Nobody mentions training. Which is more important for development? Training or the name of the league? Do the acronyms really matter if the training is not there? Most teams I see in SC that qualify to play in these alphabet leagues 'improve' mostly through player recruitment ...

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Do the acronyms really matter if the training is not there?

My guess would be no. However, I do know from reading various interviews with Christian Lavers, current president of ECNL, that as an organization ECNL from the beginning has been active in developing guidelines for member clubs focusing on improving the training environment as well as opportunities for player development in general. Part of that philosophy is evident in the organization's goal to reduce total number of games played while increasing the quality of games and improving the training to game ratio. However, Lavers always points out that guidelines and recommendations regarding training and player development presented to the member clubs are not mandates, that the individual member clubs decide how/when recommended guidelines are adopted/incorporated at the local level.

So, ECNL is actively working to improve training, but one would have to consult with the local ECNL club to determine how it specifically may be embracing those recommendations for best practice.

Some excerpts from the ECNL "Member Club Standards and Guidelines" document found at the ECNL site...
http://usclubsoccer-eliteclubs.d4sportsclub.com/object.aspx?id=5&o=340781

"The ECNL recognizes that player development primarily occurs in the daily training environment... "

"I. Developmental Curriculum

The speed and quality of individual player development improves when the training curriculum for player development is systematically planned throughout the player’s entire youth career. As such, the ECNL encourages all ECNL Member Clubs to develop a standardized, developmentally appropriate training curriculum for each age group within the ECNL Member Club (the “Curriculum”). The Curriculum should include the technical, tactical, physical, and psychological standards and expectations for each age group. The ECNL will request submission of the Curriculum for the future season by each ECNL Member Club at the conclusion of each ECNL season, and will utilize the submissions to share best practices between the ECNL Member Clubs... "

Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard