Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 28 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 27 28
world cup
world cup
Quote:

So for the older girls, premier spots for SC should be.

SCUMP 96 Elite and SCUFC 96 Elite

SCUFC 95 Elite and SCUFC 95 Palmetto

SCUFC 94 Elite and DSC 94 Green

The state has become a two-horse race. CESA in ECNL and SCU in R3PL. No other girls programs even on the radar anymore.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
D
Goal
Goal
D
Hurst, I mostly agree (depends on age group), but the reason for a two horse race should end with (99%?) the ECNL team moving out of USYS this Fall. If, as has been argued in this thread, level of competition plays a significant role in player development and CESA leaving USYS at least temporarily provides access for another club/team to higher level competition in R3PLE, shouldn't that allow a third team to evolve competitively and find it's way on to the radar?

world cup
world cup
No. It will be one of SCU's alphabet soup. Either the team from Columbia or the team from Mt. Pleasant. To the rest of us in the state, we see it as the same club. If FC finishes higher, the best players from the Low Country head west on I-26. If MP finishes higher, the best players from the Midlands head east on I-26.

The players that remain become the "B" team for SCU (FC & MP) and they fight it out with the Challenge team at CESA to see who finishes third (and fourth).

Rarely you get a "one-off" like a Lexington or a Palmetto United FC or a Discoveries who make a run at third place.

But the top 2 never change.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
D
Goal
Goal
D
Excluding the "one-off" you mentioned it won't be the team from Columbia or the team from Mt. Pleasant, it will be the team from Columbia and the team from Mt. Pleasant. Eliminating the need for some of the players to hit I-26. And, the potential "one-offs" move one spot up the food chain.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Who knows, might even be just enough additional in-state access to R3PLE to help some of those heading across the borders think about maybe staying in SC.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Couldn't cesa maintain the premier league spots by dual rostering the required number of returning players along with the challenge players? Is there a rule that the players have to show up at every premier match? If they do it this way then the Ecnl players could play in state cup as a 1 or 2 seed. You better make sure of all options before you put all of your eggs in one basket and try out on rumor.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Possibly, but...

1. You'd have to keep enough ECNL/Premier players for roster minimum that some of existing Challenge players may get left out. Which existing Challenge players get left out, and where do they go?

2. Given the resulting roster some ECNL players continue having to play R3PLE and non-ECNL tournaments. That's more games for the ECNL players against what the club (at least according to Harry and the ECNL guidelines) perceives as "inferior" competition. Which ECNL players sacrifice what ECNL and the club (per the club ECNL presentation) consider good practice for player development?

"...and try out on rumor."

That "fly in the ointment" can be eliminated with a statement of intentions from the club.

Supposedly (big word), the ECNL players already know (99%?) what they are trying out for per the ECNL presentation, and it doesn't seem (another big word?) to include also playing non-ECNL. I'm still looking for the other presentation that lets non-ECNL players know what they are trying out for. Anyone found that link, yet?

Last edited by DeltaDog; 05/18/12 02:54 PM.
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
there is no "other" presentation. it's understood that if you are not at the highest level, then you get whats left over.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

there is no "other" presentation. it's understood that if you are not at the highest level, then you get whats left over.

That's too bad.

I was hoping to show CESA capable of providing more player development options for elite and potentially elite players than Harry was giving the club credit. That entering ECNL expanded the club's opportunies to provide broader access to higher levels of competition for a greater number of players rather than just replacing the existing access for one team only leaving unknown "inferior" left overs for the rest. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking CESA would be concerned about the level of player development provided to its non-ECNL customers. Maybe it only considers the one team as populated with players worthy of development, which may explain the nervousness of players or parents of players on the "bubble" during tryouts... top team or unknown oblivion. However, that's not what one would think based on the equal fees of the ECNL teams and the top non-ECNL teams.

I'm not knocking what is being offered through ECNL (Regional Conference Leagues, National Events and Championships, and ID2), I just refuse to knock USYS (State/SubRegional/Regional/National Leagues, Major Tournaments and State/Regional/National Championships, and ODP) as a viable co-existent alternative. It doesn't make any more sense to me to hear someone from CESA say the club is incapable of developing elite players on the girls' side without ECNL than it would to hear someone from CESA say the club is incapable of developing elite players on the boys' side without DA.

H
brace
brace
H
Here is what else CESA does not give in their presentation.
Last year i was told that ECNL if you went to all the events would be around 2000.00. Here is a rough estimate of what was actualy paid. I will see if i can find the old budget to be exact.
Club fees and uniform if you were new to the club and had to buy one was about 1200.00
I paid 1081.00 in team fees. Part of that was because of region III.
The fiasco bus trip to Michigan was around 350.00 or so
ECNL Texas and Arizona i believe it was added another 750.00 or so.
Im at a little over 3000.00 and we did not go to the Sanford ECNL event. Since that was a travel on your own it would of cost you atleast another 700.00 easy for food gas and room and board.
So now you would be around 4000.00. This does not include your travel ( gas,food,room and board) to ECNL league games. Still have Chicago in July which we will not be at.
This also does not include the travel for Region III games which i guess CESA is not doing next year.

Page 19 of 28 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard