Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Brace
Brace
J
I think that the conversation about which club they play for is irrelevant. Who cares? This is about great high school soccer goalies. We had a kid up here at the local high school that played for the Chicago Fire academy team for a few years, but then quit because he wanted to play other sports too, and the academy schedule didn't allow him to. Now, he was one of the best keepers in the state, but since he wasn't playing on a club team anymore, by your standards, he woudln't be worth mentioning. Plus, the last time I looked this thread was under boys high school soccer.....

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
W
goal
goal
W
Well if you havent heard of him he must not be any good.....and yes kyle played for my palmetto team whats ur point

D
throw in
throw in
D

Isn't the title of this forum, Best GK in State. Not best high school GK. It is under the HS Soccer thread because that is where the "action is" in the spring. Older keepers are not playing club in the spring. I think it is very relevant to discuss where a keeper plays club and what level of team he plays for. It's indicative of his level of play and how good he really is. Let's face it, the keeper may be the starting keeper on his HS team, but that is very little indication of how he rates against others in the state. Also, has the keeper been recruited to play in college, at what level and what are his chances of starting at that level. Not saying that high school is irrelevant, it is one cog in the wheel.

R
bench
bench
R
after all is said and done the best keeper the state has produced as of now robert beebe, from the academy not to say cesa hasnt produced a number of good keepers, eggers is an great player who demands his box and who really kept his club team where it is. Hunter Greer from MPSC/SCUMP is also a solid keeper who dosnt make many errors and can make amazing athletic saves with good distribution. Ben gause also from the academy is an excellent keeper who makes many big saves. thats just my opinion.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

after all is said and done the best keeper the state has produced as of now robert beebe

Really? Ever heard of Mike Gustavson or Hunter Gilstrap?

I agree Bebe is a incredible keeper - but I would wait and see how his career pans out before touting him as the best keeper the state has produced.

Goal
Goal
Just out of curiosity...

What credentials do you people even have to judge keepers? Are you coaches or dads/field players, perhaps a mom or a girlfriend?

Sadly, my guess is the latter which makes most of these ludicrous opinions and not any where near fact. Just because a person is on a "good" club team does not automatically make them good or anoint them as the savior of all things goal bound.

W
goal
goal
W
Sadly, its not "soccer moms" this time however,this might be the most accurate post in this thread.

Last edited by Will Eudy; 05/01/12 01:46 PM.
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Let's don't mention keepers that failed out of both USC and Clayton State (Mike G.) great keeper, but does not represent the student-athlete side at all.

Let's give some criteria to judge these "BEST" keepers on:

1: Tactics (i.e. angle play and positioning, reading the game, restarts, reading crosses/this is crucial, directing the defense.

2: Techniques (i.e. holding and deflecting shots, stances and footwork, breakaways/1v1 saves, boxes/parrying, kicks and throws)

3: Psychology (i.e. handling pressure, confidence, leadership, controlling their fears)

4: Conditioning, probably won't get a great look at this game wise but when training occurs this is very evident (i.e. flexibility, coordination, strength and agility)

All 4 of these categories are basic, yes I know. But what are we basing our votes on when it comes to best keeper in the state. To vote for these things I feel you need a good view of these 4 above criteria to judge a keeper and place him on the list of "BEST"

There is a clear distinction between being a "Good" keeper to a "Great" keeper to being one of the "Best" in SC High School Soccer.

Stop whining about what club is better, and club name dropping, this post is about what kid is the best between the pipes, not about what club he plays for here ladies and gentleman.

Clark McCarthy
University of South Carolina
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Let's don't mention keepers that failed out of both USC and Clayton State (Mike G.) great keeper, but does not represent the student-athlete side at all.

Oh my bad - guess I missed the part that said Best GK in State with very good grades.

Seriously though - I mentioned Goose because of his success with Aiken Fire - 4 State Cups , South Aiken HS - State Championship, Conference USA freshman of the year at USC in 2005, started all 21 matches in goal for USC as a freshman, several National Team appearances and a brief stint in the MLS with San Jose. Not many keepers from South Carolina have had those accomplishments. I agree though - not exactly the epitome of a student athlete.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Brian Cherry - Riverside High School - mid 90's
Jason Hamil - Riverside HS - 94-96
The one on the AMHS girls team

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard