Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#156488 04/20/12 01:29 PM
C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
Who are some of the best GKs in the state?

kick off
kick off
Airport goalkeeper Daniel Islas. He's a junior this year but was a starter last year as a sophmore and won All-Region. I've seen him play and he's one heck of a keeper. Real key player for Airport.

S
throw in
throw in
S
1. Tanner Eggers.
2. Hunter Greer.
3. Joe Whichmann.
4. Ben Gause.

There are other good ones. Michael Ulmer comes to mind but those are my top 4.

S
bench
bench
S
Tanner Eggers is at a different level than all other keepers in the state right now. Huge presence on the field backed up his huge skillset.

Bench
Bench
Where do these guys play? I don't seem them listed anywhere as being "good".

Dude ... that means you, whether male or female, short boarder or long boarder, grommet or old fart.
S
bench
bench
S
radio gaa gaa, Eggers plays at Oakbrook Prep School but just transferred from Byrnes. Neither of his high schools were at a high level but he is the best keeper by far on his CESA Premier team

C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
Zack Shamah at socastee is a good one.

C
bench
bench
C
Top keepers in the state (No specific order)

Tanner Eggers-Oakbrook Prep
Hunter Greer-Wando
Ben Gause-Dreher
Ryan Moore-Pinewood Prep
Jow Whichmann-Wando

throw in
throw in
Yeah, I have to agree about Eggers. He's very good. Just wish he'd stayed at Byrnes. Why did he leave? Where are those other keepers going to school?

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
K
kick off
kick off
K
Learn the name Robert Schreiner he is a freshmen starting on varsity.

Klose #156498 04/22/12 12:41 AM
C
throw in
throw in
C
Stephen Replogle, Covenant Central. Lexington U18 Challenge.

Klose #156499 04/22/12 02:53 AM
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Santiago Restrepo

Klose #156500 04/22/12 04:33 PM
W
Kickoff
Kickoff
W
Reid Hunter - Blythewood HS. Freshman. Region III ODP keeper.

E
bench
bench
E
Dylan Creech of Summerville is good. All Region last year.

M
bench
bench
M
The Creech kid can't kick a goal kick past the beginning of the center circle. Please suggest keepers that should be in the forum.

Eggers and Greer are the 2 best in the State. Wichmann also comes to mind.

Goal
Goal
Some of these people are just fish.

goal
goal
Two from region II 4A
Evan Rogers @ Mauldin ( partial of course)
Devon Ashy JlMann

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
P
bench
bench
P
Out of all of the keepers mentioned from throughout the state, I don't see any that have signed next year to a D1 school. Correct me if I am wrong. Have not any senior keepers committed D1 for next year?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Raad Wullner from Irmo/SCUFC 93 Elite is committed to USC-Upstate.

Along with other keepers that I know committed to D2 and D3 Schools
Devon Ashy-Anderson University
Eric Bykowsky-Carnegie Mellon
Evan Rogers-Spartanburg Methodist

P
bench
bench
P
The three DII/DIII keepers are all CESA players. The Keeper listed at SCUFC, didn't he play at CESA too?

S
bench
bench
S
pitchman, Raad played for CESA 93 Premier last season but not for his u18 year. Seems like CESA has produced a lot of good goalkeepers. All the true candidates for best keeper in the state are from CESA. With Tanner Eggers still being the best.

G
kick off
kick off
G
All true candidates are from CESA?How about academy keepers?

S
bench
bench
S
Yea academy keepers get good training from the battery keepers.
Zack Shamah
Ben gauss
Joe wichman

C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
Zack Shamah commited to play at Coker college. A very strong d2 school ranked #6 in the country!

Last edited by Chelsea FC; 04/29/12 07:44 AM.
D
throw in
throw in
D
You must be kidding. Unless something changed this past season, the academy lists all of these coaches, Dom Wren, the Battery coaches, the College of Charleston keeper coach -- never see them at practice. The previous two seasons, the keeper trainer was the Irmo JV coach and sometimes Clark would drill shots at the keepers in goal. High level training?

S
bench
bench
S
Dustie hudock who played for the battery trains them as well. You can't say he's isn't good. You can't even compare cesa to the academy team not even close.

Last edited by Socastee soccer; 04/29/12 07:47 PM.
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
How many academy players are in the pros compared wih Cesa? I can answer for you, a big ZERO for Academy and at least two from Cesa.
That would be one of the problems with Soccer in America, aspiring to be second tier rather than a professional.

D
throw in
throw in
D
"Dustie hudock who played for the battery trains them as well. You can't say he's isn't good. You can't even compare cesa to the academy team not even close."

I never said that Hudock was not any good as a keeper or trainer. My comment, if you read it, merely states that the battery keeper along with other listed trainers were not present at any practices that I witnessed the two years prior to last year. I maintain that the academy listed coaches on the roster to puff up their presentation even though they never or hardly ever coached.

And when did this get to be about CESA vs the Academy.

But now that you mention it, I would put Keith Fredrickson who coached keepers at CESA up against any keeper coach at the Academy. And see what would happen to the Academy team if they had to match the CESA 92 or CESA 93 teams. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

S
bench
bench
S
Then im guessing you made it to only Columbia practices. If you have ever came to the ones in charleston you would of seen the battery keepers out there working with the players.

S
bench
bench
S
Dropkick99 is right about CESA vs academy. The CESA 92 team would outclass anything the academy could scratch together to compete with them. The academy programs took the easy way out when they could not consistently compete with CESA on the state level. It does not mean that the academy has not produced some good players, but CESA is at a different class than academy.

S
bench
bench
S
How can you even compare them with class? Its like comparing the EPL with MLS. CESA wouldn't last in the academy and that's the truth. Sorry but if you want a player to make far and have the best training. Academy is the way to go.

Last edited by Socastee soccer; 04/30/12 12:19 PM.
P
bench
bench
P
Best training? Ha! Socastee you obviously have a dog in the hunt. Or your rose colored glasses are a bit too dark. Not to say that the academy doesn't have some decent coaches, but far from the best. The four best coaches in the state, Dom Wren, Nick Finotti, Russell Shelley, ALAN Riches. Asfar as keeper coaches, Dick Hiller is very good when he coaches keepers , the coach from Sc State who coached for a while at sc United,and Keith Frederickson. The Academy had a coach who tryed to run a quality keeper tryout, and who appeared to be a good coach at tryouts three years ago, but Clark &Co did not allow him to complete the tryout and did not keep him on.

U
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
U
I ask everyone to remember....this is a Subject for the Club Soccer section.....lets keep the Boys Varsity Soccer section about High School Teams....

USNA82 #156521 04/30/12 05:15 PM
S
bench
bench
S
CESA would not make it in the academy league? How so? CESA is the only club in the state to consistently dominate and have enjoyed more success on a state, regional, and national level than anything the academy program (and its previous clubs). The level of training that Finotti provided launched the 92 team from an average premier league finisher to a national powerhouse.

USNA82 #156522 04/30/12 05:23 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Cesa is a very good club with players who have learned to defend very well but has no one who can match braeden troyer, nico rittmeyer, Robert beebe, devin lameroux, joe Amon, or Koty Millard all members or former members of the academy. And nico and beebe have both played with the battery.

Tanner Eggers and cole sieler are both very very good players both of which would succeed in academy. But overall, as a club the academy is much deeper.

S
throw in
throw in
S
And bridge won nationals twice.

W
goal
goal
W
The Strickland kid at BC has to be in the conversation about GKS. Ben Lippen's Kyle Walker is legit as well.But I dont know if we are allowed to mention kids who dont play at CESA or in Academy.

Get a grip "Dads" and enjoy the rest of the HIGH SCHOOL SEASON!!! Some of you only have a few games left to enjoy. Its really sad that this has turned into a this vs that topic.

P
bench
bench
P
I seem to remember that Columbia United (93?) beat Bridge in the semis for state, leaving Bridge ineligible for Premier League. Bridge then went Academy. The Columbia keeper made a incredible save to win that match. Anyone remember who he was?

USNA82 #156526 04/30/12 06:13 PM
P
bench
bench
P
It's amazing how easy it is to get off topic in these blogs. Every forum needs someone to keep us on track. You are right, this is a discussion about the Best Keeper (HS or Club) and not about which club or venue is best. Thanks.

P
bench
bench
P
Haven't heard anything about Strickland at BC. Where does he play club, what team, etc. As to Walker, I think I am right that he played for you at sc united. If he is so good, why was he on the your team the last few years and not the top team?

J
Brace
Brace
J
I think that the conversation about which club they play for is irrelevant. Who cares? This is about great high school soccer goalies. We had a kid up here at the local high school that played for the Chicago Fire academy team for a few years, but then quit because he wanted to play other sports too, and the academy schedule didn't allow him to. Now, he was one of the best keepers in the state, but since he wasn't playing on a club team anymore, by your standards, he woudln't be worth mentioning. Plus, the last time I looked this thread was under boys high school soccer.....

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
W
goal
goal
W
Well if you havent heard of him he must not be any good.....and yes kyle played for my palmetto team whats ur point

D
throw in
throw in
D

Isn't the title of this forum, Best GK in State. Not best high school GK. It is under the HS Soccer thread because that is where the "action is" in the spring. Older keepers are not playing club in the spring. I think it is very relevant to discuss where a keeper plays club and what level of team he plays for. It's indicative of his level of play and how good he really is. Let's face it, the keeper may be the starting keeper on his HS team, but that is very little indication of how he rates against others in the state. Also, has the keeper been recruited to play in college, at what level and what are his chances of starting at that level. Not saying that high school is irrelevant, it is one cog in the wheel.

R
bench
bench
R
after all is said and done the best keeper the state has produced as of now robert beebe, from the academy not to say cesa hasnt produced a number of good keepers, eggers is an great player who demands his box and who really kept his club team where it is. Hunter Greer from MPSC/SCUMP is also a solid keeper who dosnt make many errors and can make amazing athletic saves with good distribution. Ben gause also from the academy is an excellent keeper who makes many big saves. thats just my opinion.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

after all is said and done the best keeper the state has produced as of now robert beebe

Really? Ever heard of Mike Gustavson or Hunter Gilstrap?

I agree Bebe is a incredible keeper - but I would wait and see how his career pans out before touting him as the best keeper the state has produced.

Goal
Goal
Just out of curiosity...

What credentials do you people even have to judge keepers? Are you coaches or dads/field players, perhaps a mom or a girlfriend?

Sadly, my guess is the latter which makes most of these ludicrous opinions and not any where near fact. Just because a person is on a "good" club team does not automatically make them good or anoint them as the savior of all things goal bound.

W
goal
goal
W
Sadly, its not "soccer moms" this time however,this might be the most accurate post in this thread.

Last edited by Will Eudy; 05/01/12 01:46 PM.
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Let's don't mention keepers that failed out of both USC and Clayton State (Mike G.) great keeper, but does not represent the student-athlete side at all.

Let's give some criteria to judge these "BEST" keepers on:

1: Tactics (i.e. angle play and positioning, reading the game, restarts, reading crosses/this is crucial, directing the defense.

2: Techniques (i.e. holding and deflecting shots, stances and footwork, breakaways/1v1 saves, boxes/parrying, kicks and throws)

3: Psychology (i.e. handling pressure, confidence, leadership, controlling their fears)

4: Conditioning, probably won't get a great look at this game wise but when training occurs this is very evident (i.e. flexibility, coordination, strength and agility)

All 4 of these categories are basic, yes I know. But what are we basing our votes on when it comes to best keeper in the state. To vote for these things I feel you need a good view of these 4 above criteria to judge a keeper and place him on the list of "BEST"

There is a clear distinction between being a "Good" keeper to a "Great" keeper to being one of the "Best" in SC High School Soccer.

Stop whining about what club is better, and club name dropping, this post is about what kid is the best between the pipes, not about what club he plays for here ladies and gentleman.

Clark McCarthy
University of South Carolina
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Let's don't mention keepers that failed out of both USC and Clayton State (Mike G.) great keeper, but does not represent the student-athlete side at all.

Oh my bad - guess I missed the part that said Best GK in State with very good grades.

Seriously though - I mentioned Goose because of his success with Aiken Fire - 4 State Cups , South Aiken HS - State Championship, Conference USA freshman of the year at USC in 2005, started all 21 matches in goal for USC as a freshman, several National Team appearances and a brief stint in the MLS with San Jose. Not many keepers from South Carolina have had those accomplishments. I agree though - not exactly the epitome of a student athlete.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Brian Cherry - Riverside High School - mid 90's
Jason Hamil - Riverside HS - 94-96
The one on the AMHS girls team

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Really!? No one you mentioned could carry Sebastian Velasqez water bottle and he DID NOT play academy.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Which National team was Bebe invited to play with? If he is the best the state has he should be in residence or preparing for an EPL career- on another note how many academy players were invited to train with Barca like CESA player Patrick Khouri? BTW Eggers was on the National Team

lvrpul #156540 05/02/12 12:49 PM
W
goal
goal
W
Why are you bringing up field players? And Did CESA really do anything to "produce" Khouri? His grandfather, Ed , gets ALL that credit in my book.

Velasqez and Enzo did not play academy, we all know that and get that.

You need to add Jeremy Ransom as a probable to best ever GK in SC and yes he played club at ST GILES and attended Chapin HS. Goose was great as was Josh Grey from Spring Valley and the Cola Patriots.

D
throw in
throw in
D
How about Charlie Arndt. Great keeper who played at SC. A real "animal" in the box. Oh, he was from Md. From the direction this blog has taken, so what. He played in SC.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I have to agree with Eudy. Really, field players, keepers from days gone by.Can't we stay relevant and discuss the Best Keepers playing "now" in SC.

W
goal
goal
W
If you are going to go that route then Guzan and Henry Ring USC are in as is Doug Warren from Clemson.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Best high school keepers in the state:

Joe Wichmann
Tanner Eggers
Ben Gause
Hunter Greer

Tanner has moved around a bit in HS for various reasons - but he has played and will play in future at national team level. He is huge in physical and personality on the field.

Hunter Greer (Wando) is a great athlete and keeper - but his injuries have hurt him - two consecutive years with collar/shoulder injuries. Still look for him to wear another state ring.

Ben Gause plays in Development Academy and has proven himself a very strong keeper whose confidence and playing abilities continue to improve. He will likely be starting keep in US Academy

Joe Wichmann (Wando) has been one of the consistent players for US Development Academy U-16 while often playing up with the U-18 on important matches. He has been instrumental in Wando's state championship season last year and look for him too to be wearing another state ring.

These and several other up and coming keepers are great players and have a bright future in regional and national soccer.

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

Airport goalkeeper Daniel Islas. He's a junior this year but was a starter last year as a sophmore and won All-Region. I've seen him play and he's one heck of a keeper. Real key player for Airport.

This quote says it all: “In our region, competing for region also means you are competing for State. We have as good a chance as anyone, despite what the rankings say.”

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Not sure what his name is, but the Bishop England GK was very impressive in several of the Palmetto Cup games.

Brace
Brace
I'm going to throw my GKer into the mix here. Brady Allardice is a sophomore and has played his best in our biggest games this year.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
lvrpul #156547 05/04/12 07:12 PM
R
bench
bench
R
haha i didnt say bebee had ever been to national camp, though he was ranked top 3 on espn rise for his class, and if u have ever seen him play he dosnt make mistakes and makes huge saves look fundimental he also is a genious when directing his back line. listen eggers is an amazing keeper ive seen him play for years im not trying to take anything away from him . lets not forget the academy has only been established for 3-4 years. cesa is a prestigous club that has been around for many years, theres no doubt that cesa has produced amazing players.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
BE goalie is Ross Rogers. I heard he had another good game against Wando. Had a real good club season too. Just gotta get him kicking the ball straight

coachb #156549 05/04/12 09:28 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Ross made a couple game-savers vs. Wando.

B
brace
brace
B
Speaking of keepers, I have a good one for you involving one of the kids named in this thread. A few years back, watched him in an R3PL match. The opposing team scored a couple of goals, and one kid was talking trash. The keep replied: "Hey, I'm on the national team." A few minutes later, after scoring his THIRD goal, the same kid walked by the keeper, and said: "I just scored a hat trick on the national team keeper."
Moral of story: Even the best keepers rely on their teammates for coverage and support. The question here is, who's the best keeper? Not who plays for what team, or wins how many games.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Speaking of keepers, I have a good one for you involving one of the kids named in this thread. A few years back, watched him in an R3PL match. The opposing team scored a couple of goals, and one kid was talking trash. The keep replied: "Hey, I'm on the national team." A few minutes later, after scoring his THIRD goal, the same kid walked by the keeper, and said: "I just scored a hat trick on the national team keeper."
Moral of story: Even the best keepers rely on their teammates for coverage and support. The question here is, who's the best keeper? Not who plays for what team, or wins how many games.

First of all... your story is false. I too have heard the story and spoken with the young man. He did not say "I am on the national team". Another member of his team did after a great amount of trash talking between the two teams.

Secondly... What does this have to do with being the best keeper in the state?

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

Quote:

First of all... your story is false. I too have heard the story and spoken with the young man. He did not say "I am on the national team". Another member of his team did after a great amount of trash talking between the two teams.

Secondly... What does this have to do with being the best keeper in the state?

I don't know if you read his "moral of the story" but in others word of how I understood it, but the keeper doesn't nesscariary(sp) have to be the best skill wise, but be one of the best at controlling his defense and working as a team.

Last edited by SCSOCCER3; 05/06/12 03:58 AM.
J
Brace
Brace
J
No, what Backscreen is saying is that the best keeper in the state could possibly be on the worst team that has 10 goals a game scored on them. He may stop a large amount of shots on goal, but the amount of goals scored on keepers is directly related to how good of a defense they have in front of them. You can have an average keeper on a team that has the best defense in the state, and his numbers will be very good. You can have the best keeper in the state on a team with a poor defense, and they could have 2-3 goals scored on them a game...but they could be making crazy saves the whole game....yet some are still going to get by if you have an unmarked player creeping through on the backside.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
B
brace
brace
B
Actually, I was standing right behind the goal. I'm repeating what I heard, not what I was told.
As to the particular player's skill set ... that's pretty obvious. I don't particularly like singling out a "best" keeper. But this kid is definitely on a very short list, REGARDLESS of his goals against in an single game.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard