Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Bench
Bench
G
Quote:

whatever seems to respond to a lot of JL Mann posts. The JL Mann coach used to have an email address that had "whatever" as part of the address. Is there any correlation here?

Hillcrest may be a "competitive team with one strong player" as whatever states, but so are a lot of other teams. And true, those teams may drop off when the strong player graduates, or they may have another strong player (or more) coming up through the jv ranks. So whatever's prediction is difficult to make unless he/she knows what the feeder system for Hillcrest has coming up.

For clarification purposes only I will reply- "Whatever" is not the coach for Mann, although you are correct about "whatever" being in her e-mail address. I am far too busy and not quite witty enough to do anything but read these posts. I was actually looking at scores for last night and saw this post. Ha!I think I will stay off the message board ans stick to the Scoreboard. PS- Younts is doing a great job!!

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Thanks for the clarification. whatever should change their screen name to avoid trying to confuse other posters.

Coach Younts has done a fine job at Hillcrest. I had the (dis)pleasure of losing 2-0 to Hillcrest in 2009 and it was not a "one strong player" team that I lost to. All 11 were strong and played hard.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I would include Spartanburg andByrnes in the teams that have dropped off. Coach Emerson had a very competitive team over his tenure. I am sure they wish he would return to coaching. Former Spartanburg High School girls soccer coach Paul McGinty has done an outstanding job at Dorman. But I am sure he is missed at the Viking Nation.

Last edited by RegionII; 04/24/12 06:14 PM.
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
RegionII, both of the teams you mentioned have dropped off, each to an equal degree based on past levels of play.

What has led to the drop in the level of play in so many upstate teams?

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
My opinion:

1. Economy - parents had to make tough choices on what to cut back on.

2. Players - many don't want to commit to year round training, tournaments and games throughout the state.

3. Lacrosse/Volleyball - both programs are taking top athletes into their programs. If you look at the athletes playing volleyball in Club South you would be amazed at the athletic abilities of these young ladies.
Lacrosse will pull more and more athletes away from soccer. I assume if you look at female soccer players, each club has lost numbers of the past years in participation.

4. More and more HS coaches are not involved with club soccer.

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
I also think the cost of competitive club has increased substantially in the last 5 years. More and more parents have cut back on club, not because they wanted to, but because club simply costs too much.

It costs money to play at CESA. CESA dominates the upstate. CESA will have the best players, but as its ever burgeoning reach encompasses the whole of the Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg area, the schools without players that can afford to play CESA will suffer.

Couple rising costs and a single,unifying, expensive club that dominates the landscape, along with the other factors RegionII listed, and the pool of players gets diluted.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

I also think the cost of competitive club has increased substantially in the last 5 years. More and more parents have cut back on club, not because they wanted to, but because club simply costs too much.

It costs money to play at CESA. CESA dominates the upstate. CESA will have the best players, but as its ever burgeoning reach encompasses the whole of the Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg area, the schools without players that can afford to play CESA will suffer.

Couple rising costs and a single,unifying, expensive club that dominates the landscape, along with the other factors RegionII listed, and the pool of players gets diluted.

that can't be correct because its all about the kids

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. whatever should change their screen name to avoid trying to confuse other posters.

Coach Younts has done a fine job at Hillcrest. I had the (dis)pleasure of losing 2-0 to Hillcrest in 2009 and it was not a "one strong player" team that I lost to. All 11 were strong and played hard.

Of course no self respecting coach is going to be on this web site. Whatever is all I hear around my house when I'm right and I hear it a lot. I'm a mann graduate who played soccer and still have friends whose kids still play for the boys and girls team. By the way since when is calling someone strong an insult. I have no doubt Hillcrest is well coached and have super players. The post said that Hillcrest is on the rise and I disagree. The record does not reflect a rise. You will finish 4th or 5th and be out first round. This is not a rise or a downward trend. Its status quo.
If people want to post crap than expect a reply. if Boiling Springs wants to say they made us look good than expect a reply. If ENCL says they have coaches all over the US watching them and 95% stay in state then expect a reply.If having 5 players out with injury is called an excuse then expect a reply.
Read the message not the messenger and you'll enjoy this web site more.

Last edited by whatever; 04/24/12 08:46 PM.
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Whatever, Hillcrest was an elite program in the late 90s through '02. Then they dropped off until '09. They have improved over the last 3.5 years. They have not risen as high as their previous level of success in the late 90s through '02, this is true, but they are far better than the '03-'08 squads.

So in fairness, you are correct to say that they are not a program on the rise, and yet at the same time you are incorrect.

Also, if no self respecting coach was on this website, then the Heise's would never have created it and coaches would not post scores. As is the nature with message boards, self-respecting coaches, parents with a grudge, players, and all the rest participate. C'est la vie.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
I want to thank Former Ram for putting Pendleton on the teams that have Picked It Up. The Ladies program at Pendleton two years ago was one of the worst in the state. In the past two years the girls have taken the program to a new level and have started being involved in club. Even if some just do High School Prep it is still training in the fall. This year the Pendleton Ladies (2A) have tied or beat some very quality 3A and 4A teams, have been ranked in the top 10 in the state multiple weeks, and have good winning record (2 years running). I can contribute the success to a Sophomore forward who has 19 goals and 7 assists and a Freshman Defender who is hard to get past, but the true credit goes to the team for working hard and wanting to better the program. Trying to bring the pride of soccer to the small town of Pendleton.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard