Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
It seems that in the past few years that the gap between perennial power houses like Irmo, Wando, and Northwestern, and the rest of the state has narrowed. Is this due to the relative decline of some of the best programs of the state? Are up and coming programs like Cardinal Newman and JL Mann simply catching up? or is it a combination of both?

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Looking past wins and losses, the sheer dominance of 'power house' schools has declined in consideration of their score lines. Back in 2009 and 2010 Irmo and Northwestern both averaged about a 6 to 7 goal win in each of their games, racking up crazy statistics like plus 175 goal seasons while giving up less than 15. Although there are definitely dominant teams today, it seems like high school soccer in South Carolina has become more competitive and less extreme in talent level.

Brace
Brace
In my short six years here I have seen the quality and depth increases significantly. We can thank the development of the coaches impacting the lifes of our players!

B
brace
brace
B
There is some truth to all 3 posts. Would point out that ALL high school programs experience cyclical ups and downs. Look at NW a few years back, with all the talent that was there, and it's hard NOT to experience some drop-off. The key is whether a program can maintain a competitive posture throughout, and eventually retake the high ground. That's the definition of "program" in a nutshell.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Be interesting to see the impact of players playing in this academy league rather than their HS team over the next few years.

WhoDaresWins
B
brace
brace
B
In theory, the biggest immediate impact would be at Wando, where a significant portion of this year's junior class is Academy-affiliated. Where will those kids play next year? Who really knows? It's all speculation for now.
That said, Wando has over 30 kids on its current varsity roster, many of whom no doubt would do just fine at the high school level, if presented with more playing time and opportunity. Also, Wando's JV wins a significant majority of its games, including a recent JV tournament in Columbia, so there are numbers in underclassmen.
Would there be an impact? Obviously. Would that impact translate into a more level playing field? Arguably yes. Would that "level playing field" translate into fewer victories? Logically, yes. Though it's hard to quantify.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Agreed, but who does Wando have after those juniors?From what I heard there will be a drop off there, is that true? Who does Cardinal Newman have other than Koty and Nestor in the next few years?Guess we will have to find out...I see Irmo and other upstate teams being competitive in the upcoming years

B
brace
brace
B
Then again, Irmo is losing Freeman, Jenkins, Dunbaker, the young keeper, et al.
Sometimes, I think we make too much of these things. Yes, CN loses Nestor Jaramillo this year. But Koty Millard has one more year, and I saw a young attacking wide kid who looked pretty good to me.
The nature of high school sports is turnover. Yes, Wando has a very good junior class, and may lose a big chunk of that group a year early. But elsewhere, schools like Fort D (Lamoreaux, Eads, Bauknight) and Summerville (Amon) lose kids to graduation.
My point is, nobody is irreplaceable, with the exception of "golden classes" such as Wando's juniors or that great NW group ... and even those kids are replaced eventually. Kids step up, in time. You'll see.

S
goal
goal
S
i just don't see a drop off with wando boys or girls because they benefit tremodously from the huge numbers that scump pumps out. both teams have freshman getting playing time. both jv teams are strong compared to their competition.
will they lose to irmo & a few others in the future? sure, but so could the current teams. they'll be in the top 3 of the state for years to come imo.

B
brace
brace
B
Actually, Sandman, the two Wando frosh are potential Academy kids.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Will anyone be surprised if next years Wando seniors decide to leave academy to play their senior year in HS?

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

Will anyone be surprised if next years Wando seniors decide to leave academy to play their senior year in HS?

Yes, in fact I know some are planning on doing just that (play 1/2 a year and quit DA).

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I wouldn't be if they already have a scholarship offer in hand.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, in fact I know some are planning on doing just that (play 1/2 a year and quit DA).

Which players are you talking about? and who are your sources?
I highly doubt that statement

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard