Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Now, when you have numbers AND demographics, that's a pretty wicked 1-2 punch.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
brace
brace
B
While a lot of what is being said here is generally correct, some is not universally so.
1) Look across all schools, enrollments and sports, and larger schools don't ALWAYS win.
2) While "demographics" are relevant, the far more telling predictor APPEARS to be access to superior club coaching WELL BEFORE HIGH SCHOOL AGE.
3) Some parents WILL move to put a soccer-playing child in a certain school, or at least consider such factors when doing a relo.
4) Sport "supremacy" runs in cycles. During my 30 or so years in Charleston, I've seen great boys' soccer programs at Summerville, the old Middleton, West Ashley and Wando. And not so long ago, I seem to recall West Ashley winning a girls' state championship.
Regarding a new high school in Mount Pleasant, CCSD appears committed to finishing its various rebuilds of older and seismically-endangered schools BEFORE adding a new high school. From what I have been told, there is a possibility "Old Wando" will be remodeled as a ninth-grade annex, leaving only one HS in Mount P. The other possibility is that a totally new school -- with a Class AA-AAA enrollment would be built or opened.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Outside of CCSD, I do know Berkeley County is planning more East of Cooper including a new High School on Clements Ferry Rd.
BCSD minutes
Could be interesting to see what that does over time.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

2) While "demographics" are relevant, the far more telling predictor APPEARS to be access to superior club coaching WELL BEFORE HIGH SCHOOL AGE.

No argument there...however, one of the factors influencing access to that superior club coaching before high school age is, well...demographics.

B
brace
brace
B
Hi Coach.

OK, so my kid fell into a demographic.
Here is a sampling of his post-micro club coaches (by description):

1) The "old hand," who was a little too "old school" for some of the moms and the new club bosses.
2) The soon-to-be-college-coach, who left after one session.
3) The used car salesman, who was generally late to training and couldn't discipline a pet, much less a kid.
4) Director of Coaching No. 1, who told my son he'd never be fast enough to play at a higher level.
5) Director of Coaching No. 2, who actually WORKED at his trade and constructively demanded more from the kids.

Thank god for Example No. 5, without whom my son would be playing (or not) anything BUT soccer. My point being, demographics are significant, except when they're not. Which is actually quite often.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Trust me, I'm with you...I understand completely. Just being in the "right" demographic category certainly doesn't guarantee anything. It does, however, tend to increase the chances and opportunities, as opposed to (since we were originally talking about schools and programs, not just individuals) areas that have minimal practical access to club and other "feeder" programs and/or don't have many families with the disposable income to invest in training outside of the high school system.

I'm glad your son found someone he could respect and work hard for; it does make a mighty difference, and I'm glad you were willing and able to continue to invest until he found a place where he could grow.

B
brace
brace
B
I see your point, for sure. It's got to be tough at Berkeley, or a lot of more rural schools, nowhere near training ops. The flip side would be a place like Goose Creek, which has a ton a Latino kids, but clearly doesn't give a rip about soccer.

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard