Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Wando vs South Aiken in the second round? Good grief! Also, I know that Hillcrest and Boiling Springs are having good years but that matchup probably does not happen if we seeded the upperstate 1-16.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I'll give you one more example. If I had lost my last two games to Laurens on purpose I could have avoided JL Mann and gone to Northwestern instead. Now, I haven't seen Northwestern play but I sure have seen Mann and their record is a little better than Northwestern's. I would never lose on purpose and I think it is safe to say I would still be a huge underdog to Northwestern but I think you see where I am coming from here.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Wando vs South Aiken in the second round? Good grief! Also, I know that Hillcrest and Boiling Springs are having good years but that matchup probably does not happen if we seeded the upperstate 1-16.

If we were seeded 1-16 BS would not be in the play offs at all, but some how Region 2 has 4 of the 8 left, I think.

We have beaten NW the last 5 times we have played them, and Wren the only two times we have played them. The region you play in matters. Would have gotten Sparky this year if we did not have to play them with 10 for 2/3 of the game.

Just saying.

bench
bench
Why good grief to Wando S. Aiken?, and I DON'T see where you are coming from with any of this. With the exception of the Northwestern/Hillcrest bracket, the second round features #1 & #2's facing off against each other. It makes no sense to tank games as you can never be exactly sure who you will get to face in the playoffs. As YOU can see by the Northwestern/Boiling Springs match being a #1 doesn't get you an automatic pass to the 2nd round Since you haven't seen NW play then I wouldn't assume that you would have fared any better than you did last night. That is why you play the games. After everything is all said and done, seedings mean NOTHING...You either bring it or you go home. Your team, Northwestern, and all the other teams not moving on just didn't have what it took to move on. Thats not a slight, it is what it is. I'm disappointed CJ in that you are an insightful straight shooter on the message board and for you to basically (imo) disrespect another team for them not moving on and thinking you would have gone on farther in the playoffs if you we're in a differnt spot sounds like sour grapes..Worry about things you DO have control over, like your team and not all the other BS.

The only way is all the way!
I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Why good grief to Wando S. Aiken?, and I DON'T see where you are coming from with any of this. With the exception of the Northwestern/Hillcrest bracket, the second round features #1 & #2's facing off against each other. It makes no sense to tank games as you can never be exactly sure who you will get to face in the playoffs. As YOU can see by the Northwestern/Boiling Springs match being a #1 doesn't get you an automatic pass to the 2nd round Since you haven't seen NW play then I wouldn't assume that you would have fared any better than you did last night. That is why you play the games. After everything is all said and done, seedings mean NOTHING...You either bring it or you go home. Your team, Northwestern, and all the other teams not moving on just didn't have what it took to move on. Thats not a slight, it is what it is. I'm disappointed CJ in that you are an insightful straight shooter on the message board and for you to basically (imo) disrespect another team for them not moving on and thinking you would have gone on farther in the playoffs if you we're in a differnt spot sounds like sour grapes..Worry about things you DO have control over, like your team and not all the other BS.

I really agree. No matter which way you line this stuff up, their will be match ups you can point to and say... If we did it this way it would be better. This is an endless debate.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
hey Manu.fan. You dumba-- You are punishing good teams by making them play each other in the early rounds. Hanna could have been in trouble if Mann happened to get all players back for playoffs. Northwestern region is pitiful. Why should Riverside have easier first round than Hanna or Boiling Springs have easier first round than Mann. If you can't seed them at least pair up the stronger conference with weaker conference in first round. But if you live by the theory you have to beat them sooner than later than it doesn't matter. In Wando's case ; you have the two best teams in the lower state playing each other in the second round. If you can't see a problem with that than we can't help you.

Last edited by whatever; 05/08/12 10:07 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
i agree. for either of wando/s. aiken to be done wed night while lesser teams move on is probably not the point of playoffs in general.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Uh, guys I think I may have confused you by mixing boys and girls play. My first post was about girls' teams. I made a second post about MY team which is now boys not girls at Hanna. My team is a .500 team about to play the #2 team in the state (JL Mann boys) and I was saying that if I had lost to Laurens twice I would have gotten to play Northwestern instead of Mann. Both teams are better than mine but Mann is really having a good year...no disrespect to either of them. Also, I did not do it I was just saying that it is ridiculous that the current region seeding system puts you in those kind of situations.

I
goal
goal
I
Who beat Duke in the NCAA? what seed were they? was that open seeding? Open seeding is not perfect either. Endless debate.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I am not sure of your point. Yes the NCAA tournament is an open seeded draw (with automatic bids added so that mid-majors don't sue) and yes you get upsets. But you did not see two potential final four teams play in the round of 32 like you are going to see tomorrow night with Wando/S. Aiken.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Riverside vs Spring Valley
Wando vs South Aiken
Mauldin vs Irmo

6 of the Top 8, 4A's playing 2nd Round???

Whatevvver??

S
bench
bench
S
I honestly do not see what all the fuss is about. These teams would have had to play each other eventually. It does not really matter if you get eliminated in the 2nd Round or the Lower State Championships. No body will remember whether you lose early or late.

Soccer. Soccer Everywhere.
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

I honestly do not see what all the fuss is about. These teams would have had to play each other eventually. It does not really matter if you get eliminated in the 2nd Round or the Lower State Championships. No body will remember whether you lose early or late.

redistribution of wealth, thanks obama

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Pussification of America. The players will remember they got screwed which is a good lead in to real life; so I guess it all works out for the good. Next year will have Kansas and kentucky play in the first round of the ncaa's since it doesn't matter. Lets have Riverside and Mauldin go ahead in play in the first round next year and get that out of the way.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
It's important due to the TV ratings and all the money ESPN throws at SC High School soccer. They prefer to have the higher seeds from the larger markets play as many games as possible.

Especially in the SC Super Soccer Bowl on May 18.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

hey Manu.fan. You dumba-- Northwestern region is pitiful.

Bulletin board material.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Quote:

hey Manu.fan. You dumba-- Northwestern region is pitiful.

Bulletin board material.

My bad. (Need to be more politically correct and compassionate.) Northwestern's conference is struggling to find an identity this year.

bench
bench
The simple fact of the matter is this. Sooner or later these teams will have to play each other. Even if a lesser opponent goes further into the playoffs than another "more deserving" team it changes nothing. Again I reiterate, you either bring it or you go home. If the team your pulling for whether it be a #1 or #5 seed can beat everyone that they are playing then who of us has the right to say it isn't fair. As an example, if Boiling Springs or any other undeserving team (this is how "I'M" taking this thread) can beat everyone they play against then how is that unfair? We root for the underdog or "Cinderella" teams in the NCAA tournament but not here. What we all should want is for the games to played and officiated well and no injuries. The rest will sort itself out.
Finally, in regards to whatever and his statement. You don't know me nor do I wish to know you. Your comment towards me and then your "PC" correction are insulting. To say that the conference is struggling tells me you are not from around here and do not know what your talking about. Sad to see that one cannot get ones point across without trying to demean another persons OPINION by using insults. To me your nickname says it all "whatever".

The only way is all the way!
H
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
H
Hillcrest has ben caught on both sides of this issue the last three years. This year the brackets have worked in our favor. We have a 50/50 chance to make to the final eight. The last two years we would have had a better chance to advance if teams were seeded. Instesd of playing a region champ. we probably would have played a second place team.

I feel seeding may not be perfect but you do get a better chance of having the top teams go futher in the playoffs. The only modification i would make to seeding is that you could not play a team from your region in the first round. I think its more fun for the girls to play someone different.

I
goal
goal
I
I think the thread is about "best" teams meeting in the brackets too early. Which persons get to decide which teams deserve a higher = easier, slot? I assume it will be the same people who pick all state this and that award. Everyone on here complains about those as well. Look at the AAA all region stuff on the other thread.

Endless debate.

brace
brace
Quote:

It's important due to the TV ratings and all the money ESPN throws at SC High School soccer. They prefer to have the higher seeds from the larger markets play as many games as possible.

Especially in the SC Super Soccer Bowl on May 18.

Too right mate!!!!

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
S
Throw In
Throw In
S
What confuses me is how the seedings pair up with the #5 seed. For example, how does it make sense that Hanna (a 1 seed) plays Mann (a 4 seed) when the game they're paired with is Clover (a 2 seed) and Easley (a 5 seed). You would think a 5 seed would always have to play the 1 seeds. Makes no sense to have a 1 seed play a higher seeded team than a 2 seed.

Brace
Brace
Put them in hat(s) and just draw! As stated by someone earlier, you have to play them eventually and a W keeps you moving forward. It is what it is and each year is different. A coach has a whole season (and more if done right) to get their players ready and everyone starts 0-0 with only one team ending the season with a W.

S
goal
goal
S
don't get the lassez-faire of seeding, makes no sense.
it clearly benefits the lesser teams with the current system, which i guess is somes ulterior motive?
glad you posters don't run the ncaa tourny....whatever.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Oh man-u. you're right.i know nothing about your conference, Silly me for just going by stats and records. That means nothing I guess. I'll look back over the last twenty years and see when a 5th seed beat a 1 seed. And yall are right. In the end two good teams will meet in the finals and a good team will be the champion. At least now coaches know that regular season performance means nothing. Just rest your players till playoffs and avoid injury. Just win enough to make the playoffs than load up when it starts.

B
brace
brace
B
To me, if you have the time and inclination to run a tournament, you should have the time (and system) to seed it properly. Then again, we are talking SCHSL.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I understand the concern about how we would go about seeding the tournament but understand why we got where we are. We used to pick 4 from every region across the state but there are a couple of regions where soccer isn't strong enough to put 4 teams in the tournament so now we have regions with 5 teams in. That causes problems because before it was simply that a region paired with another region but that won't work with uneven representation so we have what we have now with #5 teams playing #2 teams.

Another recent change is that we used to rotate the region you were paired with and that helped keep everybody happy but now we have permanent region matchups for only one reason....travel costs. So we in Region 1 are forever linked with the strongest region in the state. Ask Michael Young what it was like being the #1 seed having to play outstanding region 2 teams in the first round. Seriously if we had seeded it back then he might have been seeded BEHIND some of those 4 seeds, but I digress.

What an open seeding system does is allow the conversation of who deserves what seeding and makes an attempt to pair things equitably. If this is such a horrible idea then why does the NCAA and high school football do it that way?

C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Remember that these numbers that we see attached to each school name is NOT a seeding. It is the place they finished in their region. I agree there are "no.1" that should be seeded lower. But it is the system we have. Would the Hsl ever change it?

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...What an open seeding system does is allow the conversation of who deserves what seeding and makes an attempt to pair things equitably. If this is such a horrible idea then why does the NCAA and high school football do it that way?

A/AA high school soccer does it too.

D
Goal
Goal
D
NCAA D1, not D2.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

What an open seeding system does is allow the conversation of who deserves what seeding and makes an attempt to pair things equitably. If this is such a horrible idea then why does the NCAA and high school football do it that way?

So, if equitable pairings for a playoff system leading to a state championship is the goal, why stop at 1-16? Why not 1-32? Personally, I would settle for a re-seeding of the final four at the semifinal stage.

G
throw in
throw in
G
Sorry, I used boys teams, but here goes my guess. It's not perfect, but better than what they've got now.

1. Wando
16. West Ashley

8. Lexington
9. James Island

6. Summerville
11. Carolina Forest

4. Ashley Ridge
13. South Florence

3. Fort Dorchester
14. Sumter

5. Aiken
12. Beaufort

7. West Florence
10. North Augusta

2. South Aiken
15. Stratford

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Very good question. The reason I suggested 16 and not 32 is to try and limit travel cost as much as possible.

Quote:

Quote:

So, if equitable pairings for a playoff system leading to a state championship is the goal, why stop at 1-16? Why not 1-32? Personally, I would settle for a re-seeding of the final four at the semifinal stage.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I'll give the upstate a try when I get to planning this afternoon. Supposed to be educating the masses right now!

brace
brace
Why not go 24 large and 24 small (like football)and then have 16 team playoffs with the top 16 in each group. How do they set the playoffs for the large and small 4A's?

S
goal
goal
S
finally this thread starts talking ideas instead of the, it is what it is, argument.

brace
brace
Or if you prefer the all included option put all 24 in the playoffs with top 2 in each group/region (how ever you get to 8 byes) getting a bye in round one and other 16 play. That gives you 8 games, 8 games, 4 games, 2 games then final. Thats five games at most just like we have now and using large 24 small 24 state collect even more money from more games is not likely alot but extra final will likly make good money.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I did this using the current teams in the Upper state bracket. That also presents a problem because it leaves Dorman out who is better than a few of the lower seeded teams that are in the playoffs. I used the current rankings for those that are in the top 15 on Eurosport. Here they are...

1. Riverside
16. Easley

8. Wren
9. Northwestern

4. Spring Valley
13. Woodmont

5. Irmo
12. Greenwood

2. TL Hanna
15. Boiling Springs

7. JL Mann
10. Clover

3. Mauldin
14. Lancaster

6. Hillcrest
11. Spartanburg

world cup
world cup
How much different, or more difficult, would TL Hanna's path have been? Under your scenario, they still would have faced Clover in the 2nd round.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
If you just look at Hanna you are correct. Our path is pretty much the same.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
But I bet Mauldin would have prefered my method to the current!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard