Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#157747 05/09/12 03:59 PM
G
GWS Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
G
What a shame that a 1-0 game is called with 20 mins to play. Not fair to the kids from Byrnes IMO. The HSL needs to space this thing out a little so that there is some flexibility in scheduling for just a circumstance like this.

If it were my team I would have been a very unhappy person when they called the game.

GWS #157748 05/09/12 04:30 PM
Brace
Brace
I'm sure Coach Brophy and the Rebels aren't happy campers and can understand why. 20 minutes is plenty of time to have gotten that equalizer. This is a game where a 6pm start would have paid huge dividends!

Import #157749 05/09/12 04:36 PM
G
GWS Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
G
What is your opinion of what should have been done? I mean Clover's coach said the field was unplayable after 20 mins of rain. Wonder if it would have been unplayable had it been 1-0 Byrnes.

Just don't understand how in a playoff situation where it is one and done you do not sit and wait and wait and wait until it becomes just totally unreasonable. The lightning stops you play, screw the field being unplayable because of rain.

Feel sorry for the kids at Byrnes. Bad and unfair way to end the season for those young men.

GWS #157750 05/09/12 04:44 PM
Brace
Brace
Being at the game, the field could easily be classified as unplayable due to amount of rain in that hour standpoint. My take, which is worth absolutely nothing, is that the game should have been suspended and finished today. I know about the added expense but the players deserve the right and opportunity to determine outcome on the pitch. And if I recall, I have seen such cases reported on this site. I can say the Clover Coach was real quick in letting the refs know about the first lightning strike but it was the right call both from a safety standpoint and per the rules.

As I said, a 6pm start would have made this a non-issue. Only question, did someone check the forecast and or that radar screen to possibly move time up.

Either way, all said and done, both teams should be proud of the effort they put forth on the pitch as a hard fought, even match.

Import #157751 05/09/12 04:51 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I understand too. Just don't think a 6pm start would have changed anything. Anyone looking at weather up here yesterday knew we were in for a rainy night. Forecast was something like 80% chance of thunderstorms from about 4pm on.....

I also hate the idea of just sitting around endlessly. If the storms arent' going to end....your options are to either call the game, or postpone to the next night. Not sure the cost of a bus trip from Spartanburg to Clover....but given the weather here today my guess is that wasn't a valid option.

Now sure what else they could have done. Too bad for Byrnes for sure. But they got a crack....they got 80% of the game in.

Tomorrow should be nice weather tho.......to welcome the Wren folks.

Import #157752 05/09/12 04:53 PM
B
brace
brace
B
I would HOPE that the "playability" of the field would be in the officials' hands ... assuming no lightning.
That said, how long DO you wait, on a school night? And should you require the schools to finish the next day? (A problem for a school with a 2-hour bus ride, which does happen.)
Last year, after a heavy mid-day downpour, Carolina Forest and Wando STARTED a third-round (weekend) game on a field that was virtually under water in spots.

G
GWS Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
G
I am not saying to just sit around endlessly. My thought is just sheerly with the kids, especially the seniors. I just believe that in a playoff situation where it is one and done everything has to be done to ensure there is a final score. I wasn't there so I can't speak to it directly but it doesn't sound like that was the case at Clover last night.

As far as Byrnes having a "crack" because they got to play 80% of the game, well i just think that is a crap comment. Not sure where your rooting interest lie, or if you have any at all, but I bet you would be not to happy if all your team got was "a crack" or "80% of the game".

GWS #157754 05/09/12 06:46 PM
throw in
throw in
Why can't they make up the rest of the game otday?

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
GWS #157755 05/09/12 06:49 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
We have several friends on the Clover team. Having said that....honestly, I don't have any emotional investment in the outcome of the game.

I absolutely empathize with a group of kids who lose that way. Didn't mean to make a "crap" comment. Just saying that having been up here last night...not sure what else the refs could have done. No anticipated break in weather. More of the same today. Thursday is round 2.

No real option. The Byrnes kids weren't cheated, they just got dealt a bad hand.

In NC......the boys and girls play in opposite seasons. They also don't set a specific date for the game. They set a specific date that the game has to be completed by. Their playoffs.....last a little longer than those in SC. I think if we had NC rules the schools would have a little more flexibility in playing the game. Probably would have played Monday.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Raining. Supposed to clear out late tonight. Thursday games should fine...other than wet fields.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard