Print Thread
#15774 03/24/04 05:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do the majority of players you know do any strength workouts, in adddition to their edurance and skill workouts? I've seen a lot of very good players, but none that look very strong. Does it not make much difference to lift weights or something?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my experience as a coach and player, weight training is to be done in the "off season". Yes, it makes a huge difference, especially, if you want to compete at the next level. If you are lucky enough to play at the College level, you will be required to have a workout regiment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For goalkeepers it does, especially lifts like squats and power cleans.

goal
goal
I'm playing for my college at the moment and we have a mix of gym work and normal training. Personally I find that gym work makes you look good and little else. Hard outdoor training if done properly is very beneficial but of course a mix and variation is always good.

Our goalkeeper does a lot of abdominal work and strength work on his arms.

I agree with Wilson Coach that strength work (and fitness) should ideally be done in the off-season.

Also, there is often a big difference between being strong on the ball, and looking strong.

Af

Link Copied to Clipboard