Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
M
bench
OP Offline
bench
M
Well it's really what we've all been waiting for. One game to truly prove who really is the best team in the state; Wando v. J.L. Mann. Two teams that I feel have really deserved to be in the state final. They've fought hard through the playoffs and have proven their dominance. Now who takes home the silverware? My money is on Wando to win it 2-1. Goals from Carlin and Jablonski. Watson with the goal for Mann. I want predictions and who you think is gonna get the goals, this is gonna be a great match! Discuss...

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
3-1 Mann. Too much speed.

D
bench
bench
D
Too much speed? With who? And I am almost positive Wando will be plenty "speedy" for JL Mann.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Going to be an interesting game... Basically CESA vs the Academy.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Too much speed? With who? And I am almost positive Wando will be plenty "speedy" for JL Mann.

Coming from the same guy who picked Christ over St joes

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G

Mann, but the only reason to worry about it is William Hosea's long history in the league.

I wonder if any coach has ever won in 2A, 3A and 4A.

The story this year is in 2A.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Well it's really what we've all been waiting for. One game to truly prove who really is the best team in the state; Wando v. J.L. Mann. Two teams that I feel have really deserved to be in the state final. They've fought hard through the playoffs and have proven their dominance. Aow who takes home the silverware? My money is on Wando to win it 2-1. Goals from Carlin and Jablonski. Watson with the goal for Mann. I want predictions and who you think is gonna get the goals, this is gonna be a great match! Discuss...

Are you serious? To prove who is the best team in the state? if Mann wins, and they should, they will just be the best 4A team- they got throttled by Eastside, lost to Christ Church and tied St. Joes hardly the resume of the best team in the state. Wando lost to two other 4A teams and 1A BE- The only way to prove who is the best is to have a 4 team playoff among the teams in each division who win state

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Going to be an interesting game... Basically CESA vs the Academy.

Better check Wando roster again they have some CESA players on it while Mann has no Academy players -

U
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
U
JLMann (22-2-1; 12-0 in Region 2-AAAA) v. Wando (27-3; 8-0 in Region 7-AAAA)

JLMann: 2010 AAA State Champions; 2011 AAAA Upper State Runner Up (Irmo)
Wando: 2010 AAAA Lower State Runner Up (Irmo); 2011 AAAA State Champions.

2012 AAAA State Playoffs:
JLMann
5-1 over TLHanna
6-3 over Dutch Fork
5-1 over Northwestern
6-0 over Clover

Wando
6-0 over Lugoff-Elgin
5-0 over Lexington
6-0 over Ashley Ridge
4-0 over South Aiken

Common Opponents for 2012:
St. Josephs (20-4-1): Wando defeated StJ 2-0 on February 25 (Raising Cane's Carolina Soccer Classic). JLMann Tied 2-2 on March 14 (Mauldin Cup).
Northwestern (15-9): Wando defeated NW 4-0 on April 14 (Palmetto Cup). JLMann defeated NW 5-1 on May 12 (AAAA Round 3).
Mauldin (16-6): Wando defeated Mauldin 1-0 on February 25 (Raising Cane's Carolina Soccer Classic). JLMann has 2 victories over Mauldin....3-2 on March 15, and 1-0 on April 16.

Wando has losses to Lexington (1-0 on February 24), Ashley Ridge (3-2 in OT on March 20), and Bishop England (1-0 on May 2).
JLMann has losses to Eastside (3-1 on March 5) and Christ Church (3-2 on April 18); and the Tie mentioned above.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Quote:

Well it's really what we've all been waiting for. One game to truly prove who really is the best team in the state; Wando v. J.L. Mann. Two teams that I feel have really deserved to be in the state final. They've fought hard through the playoffs and have proven their dominance. Aow who takes home the silverware? My money is on Wando to win it 2-1. Goals from Carlin and Jablonski. Watson with the goal for Mann. I want predictions and who you think is gonna get the goals, this is gonna be a great match! Discuss...

Are you serious? To prove who is the best team in the state? if Mann wins, and they should, they will just be the best 4A team- they got throttled by Eastside, lost to Christ Church and tied St. Joes hardly the resume of the best team in the state. Wando lost to two other 4A teams and 1A BE- The only way to prove who is the best is to have a 4 team playoff among the teams in each division who win state

So I guess we'll never be able to prove who the best is. Sort of like college football

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So I guess we'll never be able to prove who the best is. Sort of like college football

That would be correct - if we could we wouldnt have anything to write about

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Mann, but the only reason to worry about it is William Hosea's long history in the league.

I wonder if any coach has ever won in 2A, 3A and 4A.

The story this year is in 2A.

What coach can do that?

W
goal
goal
W
Lvrpul,

How are you coming to the conclusion that Mann is favored in this game?

M
bench
bench
M
Tell me how a team that has a +21 gd and 0 goals against in playoffs is not favored to win.

G
kick off
kick off
G
How is Mann being picked to win when Wando has yet to show any type of weakness in the playoffs...No way Mann is getting past Wando's defense. Greer is a terrific keeper and Rieflin has proven he is the best defender in the state.Wando wins 3-0, Hamilton scores two with Danna having the third.

V
bench
bench
V
With a big field, wando controls and dominates mann. Tisdale gets his second ring and carlin scores two more goals and wando wins it 2-0

corner kick
corner kick
Wando, no question.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

How is Mann being picked to win when Wando has yet to show any type of weakness in the playoffs...No way Mann is getting past Wando's defense. Greer is a terrific keeper and Rieflin has proven he is the best defender in the state.Wando wins 3-0, Hamilton scores two with Danna having the third.

And mann has shown weakness where?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Reading the article Hurst posted from the Rock Hill Herald.....I recognized a lot of CESA Premier kids on the JL Mann team.

Lots of SCU Academy kids on Wando.

Should be a very good and spirited game.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

And mann has shown weakness where?

Mann has been scored on. Wando has not.

C
Goal
Goal
C
Wando should win but many people felt Irmo should have won last year.

B
brace
brace
B
You guys are being way too analytical. Single-game championships offer so many variables as to be impossible to predict. Consider: officiating, injuries, illness, form, deflections, PKs, wonder strikes, physical mistakes, mental errors, and so on.
I wish I could tell you who is officiating Saturday's AAAA game, in view of the crew I saw in the Lower State title game last night. Just not good enough. Given that they were clearly being "evaluated" last night, I can only assume they're in the hunt for championship game assignments. Scary.
One more thing. in view of several episodes in these playoffs, the SCHSL may wish to review its match-abandonment policy.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Not enough good soccer teams for playoffs. We had a first round forfeit two years ago because no sense in a 4-18 team driving two hours to get their 10-0 loss.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Wando should win but many people felt Irmo should have won last year.

Fun to talk smack and predict but we don't get to see Wando play. You can try to base it on similar opponents but to many variables. I would have bet the clover -mann to be much closer. No telling Sat night.

S
kick off
kick off
S
It is quite obivious that "whatever" is a JL Mann fan but that's beside the point.

Down to basics... Mann's keeper is good, but not a top keeper.
Wando.. Zero goals, Academy player.

Mann gave up three straight goals to DF within a twenty minute period, just imagine Wando's scoring spree.

All Wando has to do is defense the through ball which that Trent guy will do and that's it.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Yes, most CESA players are very good, but academy player's are very very good also. It's simple... Wando wins.

B
brace
brace
B
Here's what we should ALL want: A great, close match; decided in the run of play or by a great free kick or set piece (and NOT PKs); with somebody WINNING and no individual being perceived as effectively LOSING the game. You want a showcase match, and these two sides just may provide one. Hope so, anyway.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

It is quite obivious that "whatever" is a JL Mann fan but that's beside the point.

Down to basics... Mann's keeper is good, but not a top keeper.
Wando.. Zero goals, Academy player.

Mann gave up three straight goals to DF within a twenty minute period, just imagine Wando's scoring spree.

All Wando has to do is defense the through ball which that Trent guy will do and that's it.

Can't defend what you can't see. Your keeper would give up more goals if he played in the upstate. No difference in academy and club except the spelling. Some choose not to travel as much

Last edited by whatever; 05/16/12 07:44 PM.
S
kick off
kick off
S
By your definition of no difference between the two, I do not see any crescent 1 players(SCUFC teams,club) on Academy. I guess you do, care to explain what player?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Lvrpul,

Theoretically a school with close to 3500 students (larger than several colleges in SC) has such a large pool to draw from that they should be favored against a school less than half their size with 1600 students but since a school with just over 700 students shut out Wando earlier this month and the fact that Mann has more speed and overall talent I am picking them.

M
bench
bench
M
There's a false statement.

S
throw in
throw in
S
I still do not understand how Mann has more speed? Is Nicky Watson really going to run by Wandos defense who, as earlier posts have stated, have yet to give up a goal. Please explain 'Whatever'. You obviously are a Eastside fan/player/parent so how would you know what kind of "speed" Wando has?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
They have yet to play anyone credible in the playoffs - I have seen all of the club players at Wando play - very good technically but speed and creativity are lacking - more of a german/england style of play compared with a south american style of play

world cup
world cup
Quote:

You guys are being way too analytical. Single-game championships offer so many variables as to be impossible to predict. Consider: officiating.

I wish I could tell you who is officiating Saturday's AAAA game, in view of the crew I saw in the Lower State title game last night. Just not good enough. Given that they were clearly being "evaluated" last night, I can only assume they're in the hunt for championship game assignments. Scary.

Backscreen,

There were five officials on the pitch (four of them wired up) working the Fort Mill - Eastside match. Also, region assessor was seated up in the stands at midfield, along with a stand-by official in case one of the crew went down.

You would have loved it. We do it right up here in York County. What some see as "overkill", we call it "getting the job done"!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Quote:

You guys are being way too analytical. Single-game championships offer so many variables as to be impossible to predict. Consider: officiating.

Backscreen,

There were five officials on the pitch (four of them wired up) working the Fort Mill - Eastside match. Also, region assessor was seated up in the stands at midfield, along with a stand-by official in case one of the crew went down.

You would have loved it. We do it right up here in York County. What some see as "overkill", we call it "getting the job done"!

They did a great job-controlled the game without being noticed and kept the flow of the game going

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

They have yet to play anyone credible in the playoffs - I have seen all of the club players at Wando play - very good technically but speed and creativity are lacking - more of a german/england style of play compared with a south american style of play

No. They play like Americans. Yes you are correct, as compared to south americans they do lack creativity. As does every Academy, high school, or Club in this entire country.

And in Playoffs, are all teams not credible? teams hit hot streaks and work hard and gain success in the playoffs. South Aiken, Lexington, and Ashley Ridge all had very respectable seasons.

As for speed... again i still do not understand. Who on JL Mann will "burn" by Wando?

Brace
Brace
Quote:

Having played Wando, I did not see any weakness. They kept their shape, made solid runs off the ball, did not ball watch, and filled the attacking lanes consistently. And they are deep without losing much if anything. They switch, cross, and play back very well for a HS team. To beat them, a team will have to be on their game for 80 minutes mentally and physically. You can't play out of control or desperate. If Mann brings their A game and match the coaching adjustments, it could be a good one.

B
kick off
kick off
B
It's all about who comes out to play on Saturday. If I'm not mistaken, Irmo was picked to beat Clover. What happened? This is an unpredictable season full of upsets. This is going to be a Good game between two GOOD teams. Quit criticizing the two.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

It's all about who comes out to play on Saturday. If I'm not mistaken, Irmo was picked to beat Clover. What happened? This is an unpredictable season full of upsets. This is going to be a Good game between two GOOD teams. Quit criticizing the two.

Dude take a midol and chill-not criticizing just making observations and giving opinions - dont read it if you cant take it

B
kick off
kick off
B
Quote:

Quote:

Dude take a midol and chill-not criticizing just making observations and giving opinions - dont read it if you cant take it

Directed more towards the wando supporters who believe Mann doesn't stand a chance. Mann has a powerful offense, midfield, and defense. But I guess well see on Saturday how this all turns out

S
kick off
kick off
S
To say Wando has played nobody creditable is completely ignorant and means that you need to remove your head up your ass. Seriously, South Aiken????, 4th in 4A and like 20-4 or something like that.

[censored], stupid.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

To say Wando has played nobody creditable is completely ignorant and means that you need to remove your head up your ass. Seriously, South Aiken????, 4th in 4A and like 20-4 or something like that.

[censored], stupid.

Ignorant people resort to name calling, explitives, and tantrums when they are challenged - if I had to venture a guess you probably support Obama in addition to Wando. Records and ranking mean nothing - a highly ranked 3A team was 21-0 until they finally played a quality side and lost 3-0 to end their season. Just cool your jets Joe Biden Jr. and take the banter a little more lightheartedly!

L
bench
bench
L
To address your first comment, "Whatever", about Wando's goalkeeper Hunter Greer giving up more goals in the upstate. This is a false statement. How did you come to this conclusion? While the upstate is highly competitive, in what position are you to say that the lowerstate is not?

Secondly, your comment: "No difference in academy and club" is illogical. If there is no difference, then why do players choose to play academy? I do not think it's because they enjoy traveling to practice.

B
brace
brace
B
Legendary: Actually, many of the Mt. Pleasant-based (Wando) kids chose Academy PRECISELY because of travel and training. A typical Academy training week includes two "local" sessions (either Columbia or Mt. Pleasant) and a "full" session in Columbia. Occasionally, there are full session in Orangeburg. This, as opposed to multiple drives to Greenville, supplemented by limited co-ed training sessions in the Lowcountry.
Academy IS more convenient for the Mount P. kids.
As to the whole club-vs.-Academy dialogue, can't we all just agree that there are plenty of great players at BOTH academy and CESA? And that a single high school match won't decide which of the non-interscholastic training environments is "better"?
It's a state championship game. Two VERY good teams, as it SHOULD be at this stage.
One final point, if school attendance figures were THAT relevant, Mann wouldn't be where it is. So let's put that one to bed.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Agreed. Size does not matter. (At least that what she said). Whatever on the academy vs club. Concerning the goalie I was just grasping at straws. Keeping hope alive.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Should be an excellent game with all the hype - just like the Irmo v Wando last year.

Wando's Hunter Greer (a senior) is an excellent keeper who was out for most of the season due to injury in the first or second game of the season - just as last year. Wando's other keeper (Wichmann a junior)plays Academy and carried them through the season. Haven't looked at all stats - but would guess Wando has been scored on the least all season.

With the combination of Greer in the nets, Riflin, Andrew Davis and Brock King in the back - JL Mann will be hard pressed to break through. Though anything can happen - it's high school ball.

Hamilton Carlin will put some away. Also look for James Appleby, Danna, Jablonski, eskinazi and Riflin to find their way in for serious shots, crosses, assist and goals.

Agree that Academy v CESA is irrelevant. Both great programs and I know both teams are looking forward to playing for the crown.

Will be fun - hope crowd is respectful of each side and will celebrate two teams great season no matter who wins and who loses.

S
kick off
kick off
S
@lvrpul, since I'm am supposedly "ignorant" now? Does that mean I can always call you stupid, looks so. By the way, you know nothing about me, I'm Republican dipshit but I love how politics got drawn into a soccer board.

S
kick off
kick off
S
But your more ignorant to say that South Aiken is not a creditable team. Stupid.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
SCSOCCER3 - I do not think that lvrpul necessarily called you ignorant, but if he did you probably would have been better served with a reply other than "since I'm am supposedly "ignorant" now?"

M
bench
bench
M
Lvrpul just wants to see Wando loose

B
bench
bench
B
JL Mann is too good for Wando big SLOW defensemen.

B
bench
bench
B
Also, pretty sure Northwestern would have beaten Wando. They're not good, they think they are.

G
throw in
throw in
G
Quote:

Lvrpul just wants to see Wando loose

He also may want to see them lose, although to see them loose would be much more entertaining.

Last edited by Giggs; 05/18/12 01:41 AM.
M
bench
bench
M
Brock king, Trent rieflin, Andrew Davis, Jackson k. Two of them have already committed to a D1 school. Now your just being silly.

B
bench
bench
B
Who on JL Mann has signed to D1 school's?

B
kick off
kick off
B
John Cajka signed to Clemson.

H
bench
bench
H
Slow? Then how did they manage to contain Travis Naylor and Daniel Zaremba? One I had the honor of playing with in high-school and the other plays academy with Carlin, who will tell you that Z is a fast kid. Their defense is good, even if Mann is fast. Itll just be another match-up to watch. Best to both teams. Winning state is a great dream to accomplish, and for many players on these two teams, it could be their second time.

U
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
U
April 14, 2012
Palmetto Cup

Wando 4
Northwestern 0

Match 18 - Northwestern 0:4 Wando

Goals: (W) Hamilton Carlin 19', Christopher Corontzes 22', Erik Clark 60', Nick Wright 64'.
Shots: NW 3-15 W.
Saves: NW 7 (Cody Jones); W 2 (Hunter Greer).
Corner Kicks: NW 0-3 W.
Offsides: NW 2-0 W.
Fouls: NW 7-7 W.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Let's just say Irmo was favored last year and Wando suprised everyone but themselves with the win. Wando is favored this year but JL Mann could come out with the title. It's a state championship, what matters is the present, if past performance mattered then Irmo would have taken it last year. Everyone will know who the best team will be tomorrow night after the game, all they have to do is be the best THAT day.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Well the JL Mann students are getting ready for the trip tomorrow. Should be a good crowd. For those who pre-ordered the Patriot State Champs shirts and hats please pick them up after school in the parking lot. Also for those who are on a budget you can take your upper state champs shirts to the printer to have the upper removed. There will be some for sell at the stadium in Columbia. We ask that you not wear these items till at least half-time to show some respect for your opponent. (Little trick we learned from Riverside back when they were good.)

S
throw in
throw in
S
Why would you even make that statement? This is not Clover, Wando will not sit in an try to weather the storm . "whatever" you may be fueling the fire that could cost your/your sons school the state championship. Coach Tisdale and the men from Wando will see this I'm sure. Last year Wando played Irmo who's fans are the loudest, nastiest, and frankly most passionate fan base in the state. You think JL Mann's fans will really faze them. We will see.

B
kick off
kick off
B
No shirts or hats are being sold?

corner kick
corner kick
Might be a collector's item like a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champs shirt.

B
brace
brace
B
Between us guys, the fans will have little or no say in the outcome. The real players (and fans) understand that.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

HEE-HEE. O yeah. Plenty. Sold at a discount to Wango fans.(I mean Wando). Whats fire without fuel.

B
brace
brace
B
I'd like to think the players on both side will bring enough "fire" without "fans" adding any fuel.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Quote:

Quote:

HEE-HEE. O yeah. Plenty. Sold at a discount to Wango fans.(I mean Wando). Whats fire without fuel.

Its not even saturday. You dont know what your talking about.

M
bench
bench
M
Your ignorance amuses me

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Quote:

Quote:

Looks like "whatever" is already at Fitzgeralds and in to the firewater.

Must have been a "liquid lunch' for him today.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
People people. Not to worry. We are a magnet school so we are prepared for the worse. The shirts are reversible and can be worn with nice pair of slacks for a casual evening or hanging out at the Windjammer. But you're probably right. I shouldn't have posted anything because a school as large as Wando probably has an interpreter to translate from English to Geechee.So that being said"Dem chillun binnuh nyam all we rice" Translation-Those children were eating all our rice. So. "Uh gwine gone dey tomorruh" or I'm going to go there tomorrow. (Feels like home now doesn't it.)

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like "whatever" is already at Fitzgeralds and in to the firewater.

Must have been a "liquid lunch' for him today.

I'm not as thunk as you drink I am.

B
bench
bench
B
JL MANN WILL WIN IF ANYBODY WANTS TO ARGUE LET IT BE, 3-0 MANN! You take Irmo and Mann fans put them together, that's exactly how it will one HUGE student section.

H
bench
bench
H
As an admitted JL Mann hater, Wando is gonna beat your ass.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

But they won't win the game

H
bench
bench
H
Agree to disagree. For all the Irmo fans supposedly going, it's much better to be able to cheer for your own team than against another your not playing. Hope it's an awesome game though. We need a change in AAAA, getting too used to Irmo getting rocked in the finals.

bench
bench
too bad Irmo fans can't go to support their own team....must have been fun the last few rounds watching from the sidelines

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Quote:

You banned someone on this message board a few years back for saying a player wasn't good and this post wasn't even removed? That being said I do indeed agree with this post.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Hey did you hear Mann and team speed overcame Wando and their all world goalie! Hey and Wando gave up 2 goals and Manns "ok" goalie only gave up 1! By my count thats Upstate 3 championships Lower state 1 in boys and Upstate 2 Championships Lower state 1 in girls-

G
bench
bench
G
Congrats to JL Mann and Wando for an exceptionally entertaining match. They represented themselves well.

The keeper and back four barely kept the lid on Wando in the first half. Mann was dangerous going forward and made the most of a few chances.

I enjoyed watching on line from Memphis, so thanks to SCHSL et al for providing that service.

(PS. You need a new timekeeper. He was not paying close enough attention to the center and failed to stop the clock for 32 seconds during the second Yellow, 13 seconds at the 1:35 corner and about 10 at the midfield during the late subs. Lot can happen in a minute. Ask Bayern)

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

To address your first comment, "Whatever", about Wando's goalkeeper Hunter Greer giving up more goals in the upstate. This is a false statement. How did you come to this conclusion? While the upstate is highly competitive, in what position are you to say that the lowerstate is not?

Secondly, your comment: "No difference in academy and club" is illogical. If there is no difference, then why do players choose to play academy? I do not think it's because they enjoy traveling to practice.

I see that Hunter gave up more goals TO the Upstate to a school that is only in its second year in 4A, they better be ready for more dominance by the upstate since this years 3A champion,Ft. Mill will be in 4A next year along with most if its current conference.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Lvrpul,

Guess I concluded correctly!

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Classic Hosea victory

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Unbelievable. A team I pull for wins a big game. goalie had game of his life and had to.

kick off
kick off
So does this mean CESA is better than Academy? Cesa 1 Academy 0

“In life, as in football, you won’t go far unless you know where the goalposts are.”
W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

So does this mean CESA is better than Academy? Cesa 1 Academy 0

Sorry. No Refunds

L
kick off
kick off
L
The SOCCER GODS HAVE SPOKEN, the better team won I guess last year was a fluke! CESA or ACADAMY sometimes the stars are in alignment and good things happen. Maybe the boys should have not let the media hype go to their heads like last years runner-up did. The media hype doesn't play the game the kids do and if they show-up to play the better team will win!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS 4 THE KIDS!
G
kick off
kick off
G
Last year was a fluke?Mann was the better team this year and they showed it but do not take away from what Wando did last year. So your saying if Mann doesn't win next year that this year's championship was a fluke?This isn't about academy or cesa neither upstate or lowerstate. The game was about both Wando and Mann, regardless of who the players are affiliated with in the fall

L
kick off
kick off
L
Ginja, you are right CESA or ACADAMY it does not matter (sorry forgot the comma). Last years runner-up was given the championship by the media; before they even took the field, just like this year! I never said that if Mann doesn't win next year its a "FLUKE" you did. What Mann did is impressive as a first year AAAA school, so maybe the stars did align for them. When one team shows up to play with more heart and hunger than the other they normally walk away not thinking of what might have been! FYI I had no dog in this fight.

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS 4 THE KIDS!
G
kick off
kick off
G
Neither do I, and your right about the media.In fact i would say mostly every year the media will crown someone before the game is played. Mann proved they are the best and that Wando is NOT, as Wando stepped up and showed that Irmo wasn't the best last year. Congrats Mann!

B
kick off
kick off
B
Quote:

Wando, no question.

This statement still amuses me.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
CESA, ACADEMY, The Bridge - what makes you think any of makes a difference?

Many players don't even play the same position in club and high school. Players who are involved year round obviously bring more skill depth but beyond that coaching makes them a team not what they did with club last year.

G
Throw In
Throw In
G
Call me old school, but with the live stream, that I could not watch at a wedding reception, I would have preferred posted updates. I know the scores but have not other info on the games and the posts are fairly amusing as well as informative.

M
bench
OP Offline
bench
M
Quote:

The SOCCER GODS HAVE SPOKEN, the better team won I guess last year was a fluke! CESA or ACADAMY sometimes the stars are in alignment and good things happen. Maybe the boys should have not let the media hype go to their heads like last years runner-up did. The media hype doesn't play the game the kids do and if they show-up to play the better team will win!!

last year was a fluke?!? Last year re-played itself again this year. Two great teams come together for 80 mins and play one game. The records dont matter, the quality of the players doesnt matter, all that matters is who is the better team on that day. You can make all the arguments you want, but J.L. Mann was the better team yesterday. They played together as a unit, believed and fought for 80 mins, Wando did not. Wando is a great team, and what they did last year should not be called a fluke, because they earned that result last year. In the end what we all should be saying is that it was a great championship game, which had 2 great teams battling hard for 80 mins.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Si senor. My job is done here. See ya next year

R
bench
bench
R
Quote:

Quote:

last year was a fluke?!? Last year re-played itself again this year. Two great teams come together for 80 mins and play one game. The records dont matter, the quality of the players doesnt matter, all that matters is who is the better team on that day. You can make all the arguments you want, but J.L. Mann was the better team yesterday. They played together as a unit, believed
and fought for 80 mins, Wando did not. Wando is a great team, and what they did last year should not be called a fluke, because they earned that result last year. In the end what we all should be saying is that it was a great championship game, which had 2 great teams battling hard for 80 mins.

MUF - for someone from Columbia - you seem to be very dialed in to Mount Pleasant HS sports. Good for you. You claim Wando did not play as a unit, didn't believe, and didn't fight for 80 minutes. You also suggest there were two great teams battling hard for 80 minutes. What do you really believe?

B
brace
brace
B
Rayne: MUF summarized it PERFECTLY. J.L. Mann was the better of two very good teams on Saturday. That's all that counts; they get the rings for 2012, AND DESERVE THEM. Doesn't make Wando's accomplishment last year (or this year, for that matter) any less significant.
As to your question: 2 teams can "battle hard" for 80 minutes and one can STILL have that little bit extra of cohesion, belief and grit. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Well put Man U, 2 great teams came to play and 1 wanted more than the other...Simple as that.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G

like I said - a classic Hosea victory.

if you haven't seen the movie Miracle, rent it or buy it.

B
brace
brace
B
Agreed, to a point.
It was a great victory, and very well-coached, but hardly a "miracle." Not when you beat a team that has already lost to Lexington, Ashley Ridge and Bishop England. The latter coming AT HOME in the final week of the regular season.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G

I didn't say it was a miracle, I said rent the movie Miracle.

The story is one of the greatest in Sports history but it is a great insight into coaching.

B
brace
brace
B
Forgive me. I thought for a moment there that you were likening Wando to the USSR (i.e., professional) hockey juggernaut, and J.L. Mann to the scrappy "amateur" underdogs, thereby adding "context" to Bill Hosea's great coaching.

Herb Brooks was the right coach for THAT team ... though many questioned his methods right up to the Olympics, including a massive "exhibition" loss to the USSR.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
And he won the gold medal using players not necessarily considered the best by many.

Coaching is about taking what you have, no mattter what you have, recognizing what you have and making the best you can from that.

William has done that so many times, this was another.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I know I will be raked over the coals for this but...

William Hosea, who is a great and wonderful person, did absolutely no coaching of this years JL Mann team. That honor goes to first year teacher/coach, Talon Stroud. Hosea did not pick the team, train the team (or even go to practice), make the lineup or make any game-time decisions. For years, I have not understood why he gets credit for wins and chamionships. Has he done an immense amount for high school soccer in SC? Heck yeah! Has he actually coached? Not in at least the last 17 years.

B
brace
brace
B
Wow, Clark. Clearly, your testosterone level has not declined 2% per year like the rest of us.

C
kick off
kick off
C
sorry, but it's true. I just find it hard to believe he even accepts the accolades.

B
brace
brace
B
Purely a rhetorical question: Assuming you are correct, who empowered the young assistant to get the job done? And is THAT not important, too?

C
kick off
kick off
C
Ummmm, As far as I know Talon was not the assistant. Maybe on paper, don't know. But you mean that just because you make the schedule and wash the uniforms you make a team a state champion? I'm pretty sure I am a lot closer to the situation than most people.

B
brace
brace
B
Like I said, a rhetorical question. I have ZERO insight on the J.L. Mann situation. But I would point out that the BEST coaches empower their staff and athletes to be the best they can be. And yes, they even makes up schedules and do laundry.
What I saw Saturday impressed me.

C
kick off
kick off
C
OK, to answer your rhetorical question, I would have to say it was the Principal and AD. On paper it may look like Stroud is the "staff", but if you asked any player who the head coach was, they would say it was Stroud. If you asked the faculty or parents who the coach was, they would say Stroud and most of them would not even know that Hosea existed. I guess the previous coaches at Mann could be credited with the victories since in a way, they empowered Hosea by giving up the job. You did read my original comment, didn't you? Hosea does not pick the team, train the team or coach them in the game. How did he lead them to victory? By allowing someone who knew what he was doing to do it?

Kickoff
Kickoff
Did anyone else watch the games on http://www.schsl.tv/? Love the idea and the video was pretty good but the announcing was awful. Talk about some folks that knew nothing about soccer!

B
brace
brace
B
Hey, I'm not DEFENDING anyone here. Just pointing out shades of gray.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Quote:

OK, to answer your rhetorical question, I would have to say it was the Principal and AD. On paper it may look like Stroud is the "staff", but if you asked any player who the head coach was, they would say it was Stroud. If you asked the faculty or parents who the coach was, they would say Stroud and most of them would not even know that Hosea existed. I guess the previous coaches at Mann could be credited with the victories since in a way, they empowered Hosea by giving up the job. You did read my original comment, didn't you? Hosea does not pick the team, train the team or coach them in the game. How did he lead them to victory? By allowing someone who knew what he was doing to do it?

I guess you could call him the Bobby Bowden of soccer coaching.

S
goal
goal
S
or a fan with a really good seat.

A
bench
bench
A
How about instead of bagging on coach hosea, who has 541 career victories and won state 11 times, we concentrate on the players that played in the game

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
I dont ever comment on here other then posting scores. However, this is quite pathetic. There is never a perfect game, perfect coach or perfect team. The state championship is won and lost every year. When did the concept of congratulating a team who won the state championship go out the window and focus on the coach and his responsibilities? One of the main jobs as a coach is to surround yourself with great coaches/people. Apparently it sounds like he did that. Great seasons by both teams and coaching staff. Can we not say great job to both teams in a great final that could of gone either way? That is what the game is about. Any given day a team can beat another, regardless of paper and who is projected to win. Get over yourselves and appreciate the players and coaches who put in all the work on both of these teams. They have things like twitter for people who like to talk trash and hide face. Maybe look into something of that sort but this should be to appreciate and recognize two teams who battled in a state championship, not critique coaches who both apparently did what was needed to be in the title game.

Great job to both teams and both coaches. Two great programs battled it out for another great state final in South Carolina.

As for the video. Love the idea and concept, however the commentating was suspect for sure. At one time they said " Irmo driving back again". Definitely a great tool and another outlet to watch games. It will only get better in the future.

Last edited by Kellie Herndon; 05/26/12 07:40 PM.
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G

This thread started out with someone stating that it was Academy versus CESA.

My point is so what? HS soccer is not about this club versus that club. All the talent and capability coming to a team is meaningless if there is not a coach to define the team, its system of play and its approach to motivation.

I can't comment on the remarks made by clarkwgriswold . He obviously has several kids in the program at JL Mann and is infinitely familiar with the day to day operations of the JL Mann soccer team.

A
bench
bench
A
Kellie Herndon your right, the focus should not be on the coaches but on the players. And after watching the re-run game the anouncing was pretty bad, but it would of been nice to get live updates on this website, i mean it was the state championship game

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
WRONG!

The focus should be on the high school team!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard