Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Coaching availibility and pay. Largest factor do you have coaches for the girls, and do the girls believe they are as good as the male coaches. Our girls thought so... no issue.

Coaches pay you would figure would be an easy thing. At Boiling Springs they threw out the top two paid football coaches. Which made the males coaches salary be the same as the girls. No issue.

A question is in for the $400,000 staff at a local school. $200,000 got a pretty good finish, for Boiling Springs. Since we have an arms race for coaches, a question is, how high is to high to exclude. No response yet.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
For a great read, look up and down load (free) from the NCAA, EQUITY and TTILE IX in Intercollegiate Athletics, A practical guide 2012.

Yes, it is applicable to High Schools, except schoarships, recruiting dollars, tutoring... It is a very complete guide.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
A Petition - is a very powerful tool for those of you who want to add a female program at your local school or district. (I should have done one of these)

What it does is document the unfullfilled desire of the underrepresented females. It leads to an almost automatic failure of prong three, for the district or school. (if they do not add the sport, if they do - GREAT)

If you want to add a sport get signatures, keep copies, and pass other copies to the AD, Title IX co ordinator for the district, and whomever else you feel needs to get one.

If you are trying to add an obscure sport, it will be, the correct first step. You would have to then prove they have someone, or a place to play. Since the SCHSL will let a team play almost anyone during the regular season, that makes it a little easier. (read you can play college freshman teams, textile teams, and thus club teams)

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 06/30/12 01:54 PM.
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
I will stop this, call it a blog, now. (sure some of you are glad)

If you wish to discuss your local district, PM me. I will work across email to try and help get you going in the right direction. I have contacts we can bring to bear as well.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
One point I left out,

You do not have to work in the district or school, or have a child there to lodge a complaint with the OCR.

If you have a good case for discrimination, there are folks out there who will do it, so you will not get blowback. Boots on the ground are more than likely going to know the info on discrimination, but it is possible they may get some unwanted attention.

There has been landmark cases on retaliation, Jackson the basketball coach in Alabama, the most famous, in case you want to do it yourself.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
What is the fianl solution? If I were the AD, I would do a tiered program. Raising, girls soccer and maybe another sport to the same status as Football.

Run it the same way, 7th and 8th grade teams. This makes bus expenses optimum, 44 players per trip. Play 7th and 8th back to back, refs come for two short matches. As things go add a C - Team. Mirror image the football team! Pay the head soccer coach, real money.

On the treatment side of things, have a pep band, some spirit support - with a paid director like cheer has, everything. Game day flyer football quality, to cover all spring sports, main focus soccer. (just like football) Have a week long pep event, like homecoming. You take all bias off the table, you add huge numbers at a minimum cost, do not have to build any fields. Locker rooms may be an issue, of wait, they get the football lockers in the Spring, so that's not an issue either.

Kill it in one shot. Then SC will produce D1 players in soccer just like we do in the wierd shaped football. (please do not argue this alone, will not, but long term pressure etc. more kids to club to be able to play, and so on, will)

One can dream... It would be legal, too.

In our location, you can prove you are meeting the desires of the girls without a survey. Looking at local soccer interest, there are 9 organizations, at 17 locations offering soccer in Spartanburg. Our neighboring county has particiaption at every middle school. You could easily draw a conclusion, that would stand up to review, that soccer is what the girls want.

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 07/04/12 01:49 PM.
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
In reality, football is already in a tiered program. The only issue it is by itself, with no balance program from the girls side.

Not slamming, just saying it out load.

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 07/04/12 02:13 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
IiwIs.......and the money for funding all of this come from where?

How about this? A quote from my Dad about living life: "The Main thing in life is to always keep the Main thing, the Main thing."

I would argue that society has its priorities out of whack and that education tax dollars at the K-12 and college levels would be far better spent on improving academics and making college affordable for all kids, without taking on debt the size of a mortgage.

The Main thing concerning education is education. Eliminate school and collegiate sports and use the money to improve education and education affordability.

Sorry.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Same place they get $100,000 for a head football coaches salary, $200,000 to $400,000 worth of football salaries for a single school. Valdosta was paying $100,000 15 years ago, nothing new there. Forgot this, or $320,000 for a jumbotron.

The ideal education model if that is what you want to discuss, is what the Japanese kids use to do. Go to school, go to cram school, work like hell, to get in University, or college. I do not see us doing that. They have began to get away from it as well.

In mine I wrote "I can dream". "IF I were the AD", that is what I would do. I qualified my statements, well enough I believe.

A subtle observation, Big Daddy - Hat Trick 1408 posts, how many on soccer, or sports, how many on education? Just keeping it real.

I am not making absolute statements, not really. Just holding a dialog open for a while, nothing bad comes from that, I do not think.

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 07/04/12 03:44 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"A subtle observation, Big Daddy - Hat Trick 1408 posts, how many on soccer, or sports, how many on education? Just keeping it real."

This is a soccer forum. My posts are usually about soccer.

However when the topic veers onto the fringes of politics I'll say my piece. I think the stated facts in your first sentence in the above post is absurd and reflects the twisted reality that certain segments in America have become. We bring sports into school and church into school and partisan politics into school.

I totally disagree that the stereotypical Japanese system, whatever that might be, is the "ideal" system of education. Memorization and repetition don't teach critical thinking or problem solving skills. Nor do they nurture creativity. I'm not criticizing the Japanese. if it works for them, awesome.

Again, take your hundreds of thousands of dollars spend on HS football and the tens of millions spent on collegiate football and instead of trying to impose "fairness" by spending more on non-sports such as a pep band or cheerleaders and calling them sports.....instead, hire more and better teachers and pay them better. Make sure ALL kids have access to the latest in technology as well as the ancient classics.

And kids shouldn't have to borrow tens of thousands of dollars to go to USC for 4 years while the football coach makes $3-4m per year and 85 kids go to school for free.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard