Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
No argument from me on wishing things were better. I agree.

You have a "wrong", you want to discuss. Fine.

As far as paying teachers more, and getting better ones who could argue? As far as the coaching pay, versus tuition, I have not a clue how to fix it, but can see your issue, no doubt.

Please understand, this whole thing started 6 years ago when a school refused to add one girls soccer team, when they cut 30 kids a year. While they maintained a no cut policy for the boys footballl program (where they spare no expense), and a c team for basketball. No C teams for girls, period. Understand I was trying to place this topic in the right place, I think have.

Sorry its political nature is there no matter how I write it, even though I just tried to chronical it. Not trying to argue at ALL. Really.

And yes, I am a republican, and a feminist. Strange huh!?!
That bit was for humor, nothing else.

Please understand, I am NOT arguing, there are MANY things more important, than this topic. To me, my opinion only, it is more important than many we discuss on here.

Thanks if you want to yell at me, PM me, I can take it.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
From what I understand, the district is going to survey every girl when they register...

B
brace
brace
B
The reality is, as long as you have football -- and wildly overpay for its coaches -- you will have a fundamental imbalance in expenditure BY GENDER in high school sports. Unlike college sports, where you can (somewhat) address fairness/opportunity issues through grants-in-aid, it's much tougher to do at the high school level.
The way to begin is by assuring that boys' and girls' programs in similar sports have equal budgets and access to resources: i.e., boys' and girls' soccer, basketball, baseball/softball, lacrosse, swimming, track and field, cross country, etc. Address overall inequity by funding traditionally "girls" sports -- such as volleyball and cheerleading -- at levels "comparable" to other sports, on as per participant basis.
As far as football is concerned, take a long, hard look at trimming back bloated coaching staffs and salaries, and restricting roster sizes to more reasonable numbers.
There is absolutely no reason to pay a football coach six figures -- not when most would do the job for less. Similarly,there's absolutely no reason to carry more than 100 kids on varsity and jayvee football combined. Just as there is absolutely no reason for Wando to carry 30-plus on its varsity soccer roster,
By the way, I'd have absolutely no problem eliminating ALL extracurricular activities from American public schools, but as there is no way this will happen, I simply advocate rational and fair expenditure and allotment of resources. The days of every Driver Ed teacher being a football assistant must end, just as hiring a football assistant to fill EVERY PE opening must end.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
It is sad, but 4 of the 12 NWLC (National women's Law Center) cases filed Dec, 2010 have volunteer agreements published. Their average gap of athletic participation is between 11-14%, Boiling Springs is 19%. Poor ole' dawg.

These four schools have already added sports and have several ready to go this year.

Boiling Springs seems to be dragging their FEET, compared to schools who are already adding sports.

Like I said they will survey, Aug 7th. When they get a sport as a request, not offered in our "region", they will say they have no body to play. Region means geographical region as well, the district will try to play this "we have nobody to play" card, next.

Wait and see...

Last edited by It is, what It is!; 07/09/12 04:48 PM.
B
brace
brace
B
So, now we know why they call it BSHS.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Oh no you didn't?!?!?

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Heard there was an activist group going to do a mass OCR filing on SC High schools, like they have in Washington, Oregan,Calif, and Idaho.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Meet with Dorman big wigs today. They are adding middle school soccer, at their schools. Looking at lacrosse a few years after.

Poor ole' Dawg never can get ahead. I have been after my guys for 5-6 years to add middle school soccer, for a tactical advantage. [censored] it, [censored] it, [censored] it.

One upside when they survey and get a soccer request, they will not be able to say, "We do not have anybody to play."

Well done Dorman.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
They said Carlos was coming back to help, and they were allowing the coaches a chance to work with the elem. school kids. If Joe organizes this right, they will be...

I have begged my district for years, why must we always play catch up?

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Spartanburg Dist 7, Spartanburg High school/middle schools, Highly probable to add middle school soccer and other sports, next year, Per RW Booker Superintendent.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard