Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Both deadlines came and went with no action.

You kind of figured the Mayan thing was silly, but you would hope the school district would follow thru. It was a mutually agreed upon resolution agreement. (Feds, and District 2)

Justice delayed is justice denied.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
You must be out of the loop, per my conversation with our AD Boiling Springs will field Middle School Soccer in Spring of 2013. We have already agreed to schedule them this spring.

Last edited by DormanSoccer; 12/25/12 02:50 AM.
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Merry Christmas... if that is the truth. I hope you are right DormanSoccer.

You ever hope you were wrong? We have been begging them since 2006.

And yes, they try to keep me out of the loop... they do not like me.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Quote:

You must be out of the loop, per my conversation with our AD Boiling Springs will field Middle School Soccer in Spring of 2013. We have already agreed to schedule them this spring.

Unlike your system where you are involved top to bottom, our high school coaches are taking this as news, as I am.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
It is true, will send you the updated schedule in January. We are very lucky to have the wonderful leadership of Dr. Owings and Mr. Harrell who keep us in the loop. Great opportunities for girls in Spartanburg County as I understand Spartanburg and Byrnes will join us in 2014. Another avenue for girls who can not afford/want to make the commitment to club soccer. I admire your fight to create more opportunities for girls to play the wonderful game of soccer. Merry Christmas!

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Thanks for the kind words. Great outcome,.., have taken some lumps for it, but no big deal.

Are you going to have an 7th grade team, and an 8th grade team or a combo team per school? I have been pushing for the two teams per school to copy the football model.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
DormanSoccer the Title IX guys I know are asking are the schools adding girls and guys teams or just girls?

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Just found out the Palmetto State Gender Institute is meeting at Oakland Elementry school, in Spartanburg District 2. Irony anyone?

The ACLU is suing a couple of states right now for single sex eduaction classes, and SC is rushing to that model?!?!? On top of that they are holding the classes at the School District that failed to pass one of the few Title IX audits ever in SC.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
DormanSoccer you are right. We will be fielding one team instead of two or 4. We are backing into it, in true District 2 fashion.

I got two teams by my lonesome when I did it a few years back. No publicity at either middle school, just the spare folks trying out for JV. Oh well, better than nothing at this point.

If they would let me get involved, there would be...

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Just reviewed some info from another district in Spartanburg. The info was recieved from a FOIA request.

Middle schools were very similar to District 2. Over 100 more male athletes per school, than females. (plenty of sports could be added to close or eliminate that gap)

The high school was a mirror to District 2, except it has a C team for softball, and baseball, we have neither. The real athletic gap is almost an exact match for BSHS. I feel certain an OCR review would come to the same answer of a failure to give girls a fair chance on participation. Lacrosse is at most schools in the region, so they could easily field this sport.

The warm up game status is the same for the girls basketball program.

The most obvious treatment issue is football versus everyone else. The players get cleats (seriously) from the program. I have not seen that at other locations, kind of a wierd. Also the football program gets much more travel, publicity, and support. They did not call BSHS on the treatment side but this is so, much more of a differnce it could be called. IMHO it should be a failure.

On the support of this program, they get more in the off season than any sport I see has in season. Camps, drill practices, travel, workout sessions, positional work/camps, etc.

Note I do not mind the boys getting this, just the girls not getting same. SC is at the very bottom of equity in the area. It seems this group is really looking into some of these deltas. I hope they do some good work. My only pause,..., why were they not looking and doing before?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard