Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
In summary; the organization that rules elite high school club soccer is making it a 10 months season. This organization is the soccer equivalent of AAU basketball. Elite high school soccer players are now faced with the choice of playing with their high school team OR playing club soccer. In the past they have been able to play both just like AAU and high school league basketball. Since its now going to be a 10 month season. Kids are being forced to skip their senior year in high school in order to be able to play elite club soccer. Its pretty sad that in order to get the best instruction in the country you most forgo your senior year.

Here is the story in this morning's Post and Courier:

Top soccer players forced to choose between high schools, elite clubs
Jeff Hartsell Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:17 a.m.
UPDATED: Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:24 a.m. Text size: A A A

Lowcountry soccer player Christian Jablonski won’t be able to play his senior season at Wando High School due to his commitment to U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy program.
A rising senior at Wando High School, Christian Jablonski is one of the best soccer players in the state. He’s verbally committed to College of Charleston and plays for the elite S.C. United Battery Development Academy team.

Wando is one of the top high school programs in the state, with a Class AAAA state title in 2011 and a runner-up finish this year. The Development Academy squad is one of 78 in the U.S. Soccer Federation’s system, an attempt to produce world-class American players.

Wando High School

Wando High School coach Shilo Tisdale said he could lose as many as 15 players to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy due to new U.S. Soccer Federation rules. (Wade Spees/postandcourier.com)

Wando soccer player Christian Jablonski will give up his senior season with the Warriors so that he can play for the elite S.C. United Battery Development Academy team. Staff/File
Search
chs

For the past three years, Jablonski has been able to play for both teams. He represented Wando during the three-month high school season while honing his skills for much of the rest of the year with the Development Academy squad.

But starting this summer, Jablonski and other top players in the Lowcountry and across the nation will have to make a choice. A new policy handed down by U.S. Soccer will make the Development Academy a nearly year-round commitment, rendering it impossible for its athletes to also play for their high schools.

Jablonski has already decided to give up his senior season at Wando in order to commit to the Development Academy’s 10-month schedule of training and matches. It’s a decision he did not reach easily.

“What hurts the most is knowing that I won’t be able to have a senior season at Wando,” Jablonski said. “It’s hard to give that up. It’s a tough decision for anybody to have to make, but especially for high school kids, to stick with a high-level academy team or represent your school.”

Fierce debate

It’s a decision that many in the youth soccer community feel high school players should not have to make. The move by U.S. Soccer — believed to be the first time a major team sport’s national organization has attempted to prevent some of its members from playing for high school teams — has sparked debate among parents and coaches, and on Internet message boards.

It would be akin to AAU basketball programs telling players not to play for their high school teams, said Kevin Heise, veteran coach at Brookland-Cayce High School and associate chairman of the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association.

“Right now, our leaders in youth soccer believe this is the way to go,” said Heise. “And they’ve strong-armed a lot of our states into buying into it. As a result, we might have a generation of guys who won’t have the chance to play high school soccer.”

To put the issue in perspective, there are about 400,000 boys playing high school soccer in the U.S. The 78 Development Academy teams in the U.S. Soccer system include about 4,000 players. That means the new policy impacts only one percent of boys high school soccer players.

But it’s the top one percent, and Heise said the loss of even one Development Academy player can have a huge impact on a high school team.

Some schools, such as Wando, stand to lose much more. The Warriors have at least 13 players on S.C. United’s 2012-13 roster. Other schools represented on S.C. United’s roster include James Island Charter and Bishop England, as well as Columbia-area schools Cardinal Newman, Dreher, Blythewood and Dutch Fork.

“It’s unfortunate that kids are having to make a choice between playing high school and for the academy,” said Wando coach Shilo Tisdale, who maintains that U.S. Soccer is forcing thousands of players to give up high school soccer to produce a few world-class players at the other end of the system.

Heise and Tisdale point out that while Development Academy clubs affiliated with some Major League Soccer teams are fully funded, players — or more precisely, their parents — must pay to play for others, such as S.C. United.

“If it is completely free, like in MLS cities, and they are truly taking the best players in the state, I have no problem with it,” said Heise, who also coaches club soccer. “But some kids pay up to $4,000 a year to play academy soccer and are giving up four years of high school soccer.

“You have politics at work, and issues with kids who cannot pay to play. Are we truly identifying the best 18 players?”

Parents, such as Christian Jablonski’s father Richard, have seen their sons benefit from both Development Academy training, and the social and leadership skills and recognition gained in high school soccer.

“In my perfect world, the kids would be able to make one of three choices,” Richard Jablonski said. “Play for their high school or the academy, or be allowed to do both, as has been the case in previous years.

“I truly wish the adults could arrive at an accommodation that would allow the kids to do both, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Kids face divided loyalties between programs and coaches they love and respect. It’s an unfair burden to place on kids, the vast majority of whom will never play a minute for the U.S. national team.”

European model

U.S. Soccer officials argue that expanding the Development Academy system, which began in 2007, will move America closer to the youth soccer models in the rest of the world. Even under the new system, Development Academy teams will train from 200 to 260 hours per season, compared with close to 600 hours in some European countries.

“They are trying to improve the level for the elite player, that’s the goal,” said Clark Brisson, executive director of S.C. United Battery Academy. “Whether we agree on how they are going about it or not, it doesn’t really matter at this point. Culturally, I understand playing high school soccer. I enjoyed high school soccer in my career and grew up with it. It’s just something that we’ll have to see whether it works out or not.”

Brisson emphasized that S.C. United Battery Academy had “zero input” in the U.S. Soccer decision, and that the Battery Academy asked for a waiver so that its players could play for their high schools next spring. The waiver was denied, he said.

“I support all soccer,” he said. “I don’t see why the two can’t co-exist. But that’s for higher-ups to make that decision.”

The level of training at the Development Academy is difficult to replicate in high school, Heise and Tisdale admit. Christian Jablonski said that’s why he chose the academy over Wando.

“With our academy, I get a chance to be in a very professional and elite environment every day, and that’s what I love,” he said.

“I want to be in that environment all the time. I think Wando is an exception in that we have a good core of Academy guys. But some high schools don’t have that.”

Forcing a European model on scholastic sports in the U.S. is awkward at best, Heise said.

“Most of our kids aspire to go to college and succeed in the real world,” Heise said.

“The idea that all 4,000 kids are going to be pro soccer players is a farce. And some people have construed it that way, and that can be misleading to impressionable teenagers.”

Both Heise and Tisdale said the quality of high school soccer could suffer, and the balance of power in the state could shift. The Greenville area’s top club program, Carolina Elite Soccer Academy, allows its athletes to play for high school teams.

“It will impact teams for the next couple of years,” Tisdale said.

“But then like everything else that’s pretty new, the newness will wear off and people will adjust.”

Some say high school soccer will become more like high school tennis and gymnastics, where top athletes already often skip scholastic competition.

Even in sports like basketball and baseball, college recruiters pay more attention to AAU teams and travel squads than to high school games.

Meanwhile, players such as Christian Jablonski will face a new reality when the high school season rolls around next spring.

“I’ll be out supporting the team, just like the seniors who graduated did last year for us,” he said.

“The greatest thing about Wando soccer is that we are a family, and when we move on we still come out and support the guys.

“I might not be a part of the team, but we’ll all still be part of the family together.”

This piece posted from Tigernet.

World Cup
World Cup
7/15/12

Official article from The Post and Courier

Wando's Christian Jablonski

Top soccer players forced to choose between high schools, elite clubs
Jeff Hartsell

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
The article should be entitled SOME top soccer players forced to choose- if Wando stands to lose up to 15 players to academy and couldnt beat a team for the State that had ZERO academy players then it proves the point the academy has a lot of work to do-
As far as the balance of power goes it has always been in the uppoer state and that wont change-

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
This was in the Charlotte Observer a couple of weeks ago:

Academy wants players fulltime
New policy forces athletes to choose between high school and club competition

Elite male soccer players must choose this fall between high school and club competition. A policy established earlier this year by the U.S. Soccer Academy will not allow club players to compete for their school teams. The U.S. Soccer Federation, which oversees all of the men’s and women’s soccer programs in the U.S., introduced its developmental academy program in 2007 in partnership with the top clubs in the country. North Carolina has four clubs in the program: Charlotte Soccer Academy and North Meck Soccer Club, and Carolina Fusion (Greensboro) and Capital Area Soccer League (Raleigh). There are about 3,000 athletes nationwide in the program. Charlotte Soccer Academy and North Meck Soccer club each have academy teams for ages 15-16 and 17-18. Rosters are set at 20 players with 18 allowed to play in matches. That’s 80 athletes in the program.

Under the policy, the developmental season runs from September to June. Postseason play continues into July.
The format is similar to elite soccer programs around the world. Some academy teams in Texas and on the West Coast have gone to the 10-month schedule. The goal, some officials say, is to close the performance gap between this country and other elite soccer nations. In the past, North Carolina academy teams started play in December. Bill Finneyfrock, Providence Day School’s head soccer coach and executive director of Charlotte United Futbol Club, said the change is not needed. Charlotte United Futbol Club is an independent local organization. “High school soccer might be some of the biggest games of their lives,” he said. “It only hurts the kids,” he said. “It puts the players in the middle of two competing factions. Whether it is from the influence of a high school or college coach or the academy coach, the player could be pulled in the wrong direction.” Finneyfrock said not allowing athletes to play high school soccer will erode the fan base of the high school teams and hurt rivalries. Jeff Mercado, head soccer coach at Ardrey Kell High disagreed. “It’s about time,” he said. “It is the right decision for the game.”

Jack Miller III, a sophomore at Charlotte Catholic High School, decided to play for his high school rather than for the academy team. “We did not win a state championship last year,” Miller said. “I want to help my team compete and win a state championship this year. Plus, my education is important to me. I do very well in school but practicing four nights a week, traveling out of town for games and competing both days might hurt my school work.” He said the coaches at Charlotte Soccer Academy supported his decision.

The current N.C. High School Athletic Association season starts in August and, based on playoffs, runs into November. The academy season use to start the following month. “The teams would travel to a showcase in December,” said Brad Wylde, Charlotte Soccer Academy executive director. “We get the high school players approximately two weeks prior to the showcase. … They begin to play higher-level teams. Our players are often fatigued, out of game shape and poorly trained.” Wylde said he understood both sides. “Representing your school is important,” he said.
He said high school coaching is not up to par with developmental academy coaching.
“When these players come to us at the end of their season, they have to catch up,” he said. “We want the players all the time. This has been a cause for contention.”
Finneyfrock said “My coaches here at Providence Day School are all USSF ‘A’ licensed coaches. If we do not know what we are doing, then it’s the federation’s fault. There is rarely a high school coach not qualified to properly train and prepare the players.”
The 10-month season will allow training three or four times per week. Another advantage is the ability to play matches against high-level competition in front of college recruiters. Jay Vidovich, the men’ soccer coach at Wake Forest University, said top soccer players need to be seen in as many quality games as possible. He said the academy provides a better environment to help players improve and players are more advanced than non-academy players. Vidovich said his incoming freshmen are either products of the academy or European players. “If you are looking to compete at the highest level in college, you have to be in this program,” Wylde said. “Division I college coaches prefer the developmental showcases and national championship matches. Some lower-level Division I coaches will travel to regional soccer matches.”

Finneyfrock said academy soccer showcases do help college coaches recruit. These coaches can travel to a few central locations and see all the players instead of watching high school matches or club matches, he said.
“Being the 15th player on an academy team does not mean you will play for a major Division I soccer program,” Finneyfrock said. “Charlotte United Futbol Club has a U-18 team with as many Division I players accepting scholarship offers as North Mecklenburg Soccer, Carolina Fusion, or other academy teams. “Why can the United States product professional football players, professional basketball and baseball players and do it through high school,” he said. “We do not hear these sports saying that high school athletics are terrible.”

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Heise and Tisdale point out that while Development Academy clubs affiliated with some Major League Soccer teams are fully funded, players — or more precisely, their parents — must pay to play for others, such as S.C. United.

“If it is completely free, like in MLS cities, and they are truly taking the best players in the state, I have no problem with it,” said Heise, who also coaches club soccer. “But some kids pay up to $4,000 a year to play academy soccer and are giving up four years of high school soccer.

“You have politics at work, and issues with kids who cannot pay to play. Are we truly identifying the best 18 players?”

There are several arguments here that I don't understand. Perhaps one of the coaches quoted could explain.....

I've heard many arguments over the last year about the value of HS soccer. Why is that value diminished if Academy were free? Some people pay for their kids to play Academy and a 10 month season is depriving them of an opportunity? People who don't pay for Academy.....its reasonable to miss HS?

Is the value of playing HS soccer or not really linked to the cost of Academy soccer?

Secondly.....politics at play? Why is that even relevant? I hear people talk all the time about the politics of club soccer. The politics of HS soccer. The politics of an all state team or the politics of a CLash of the Carolina team. The politics of ODP. The politics of making a region team.

Politics are an unfortunate fact of life. Sometimes they are the boogums in the shadows of our imagination. Sometimes they unfortunately exist and reward less deserving kids at the expense of more deserving kids.

But politics is an absolute non-issue in this debate. It is no more, or less a factor than in other formats of elite sport.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 07/15/12 05:58 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Context, perspective, and self interest are amazing attributes in this debate. Good people with opinions 180 degrees apart.

In the Charlotte article......Frock is the EDOC of Charlotte United and the head coach at Providence Day. All of his public words on the topic are, for lack of a better word, negative....concerning the Academy. My son was/is a 93 who played for Charlotte United at u14...this was also the first year of Academy.

One of our players...left in early November to go to one of the new Academy teams in Charlotte. Frock got the parents of my sons team together after a game at Ramblewood park......and talked about Academy. Basically his take was....so few kids play colleg soccer or pro soccer that its a waste of time and money to chase a dream that won';t be there.

Then there's Jeff Mercado.....who is a longtime coach at Charlotte Soccer Club, now CSA. An Academy club. Jeff is also a teacher and head boys coach and head girls coach at Ardrey Kell HS in suburban South Charlotte. His teams compete for State championships every year on both sides of HS and he will lose 4-6 Academy players. Frock will also lose a couple.

For me personally.....to accept an argument I have to understand the persons context, perspective, and self interest. I'm not saying that everyone is driven exclusively by them......but its pretty hard to ignore them also.

In the Charleston article...the specter of politics was raised. To ignore the role of politics in where folks stand on this debate, is simply ludicrous, IMO. A coach losing very talented kids who form the core of his team will have a different perspective than a parent or a coach from a team with none. To assume otherwise is just not very likely.

Doesn't make them wrong or right.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 07/15/12 05:54 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

The article should be entitled SOME top soccer players forced to choose- if Wando stands to lose up to 15 players to academy and couldnt beat a team for the State that had ZERO academy players then it proves the point the academy has a lot of work to do-
As far as the balance of power goes it has always been in the uppoer state and that wont change-

Not at all. From the club side, it proves that CESA has as many good players as SCU on the Academy side. Or that geographically the GSp-A area has as many good players as the Charleston metro area.

What it really proves, was that on the day of the 4A state chammpionship game, JL Mann was the better side.

In terms of balance of power....we've lived in the YC for 13 years now. In those 13 years....what I've seen was that the balance of power within this state has been Irmo and Northwestern with a couple of schools like Wando, Spring Valley or 1 of the Aiken schools jumping in for a 2 year stretch or so.

S
goal
goal
S
its the typical money grab from parents who overindulge their little peles & the yth club soccer coaches would be foolish to not take advantage of those easy marks considering the state of todays parents.
our parents should punch us in the face.

a fool & his money are soon parted....

& btw, if high school really gave a crap, they would drop the stupid football designated regions & schedule better.
$hame on all the adults $crewing up yth $occer.

Last edited by sandman; 07/15/12 06:40 PM.
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
How about the life lesson, "it's all about me".

That where I see Club Soccer going. It's all about the Club and their desire to wrap you up year round, and guess what, they get more of your money.

The players get taught, it's OK to abandon your former teammates, because it's all about you and of course us (the Club).

Hey player, if you're good enough to be playing at the highest level, don't worry, your college and other opportunities will be forthcoming.

My advice, play for your high school, these are great years, you can't do it over.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Hey player, if you're good enough to be playing at the highest level, don't worry, your college and other opportunities will be forthcoming."

Fools gold advice.

The reality is.......90% if not more of recruiting contacts that my son and his teammates/friends got came out of his participation in "Elite" events. Disney, Academy Showcases, etc.

Truthfully, if you play on a SCSCL team your odds of being recruited to play at a D1 level aren't very good. Not impossible, but not very good. If you aspire to play at a D1 level you better be at event like the above, or have a really good "in" somewhere. To tell a kid otherwise is foolish or worse.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Where do I start Bomber?

1. Life lessons. Life lessons are everywhere, if you take the time to look or listen. I'm more interested in kids finding their way in life and learning to navigate tough decisions. I'm most interested in MY kid finding his way. If his choice of paths at worst means he doesn't play soccer with the masses.....that isn't much of a tragedy. And it isn't selfish. Trust me...his buddies understood and supported him 100%.

2. Club direction. 10 month Academy came from USSF, not the club. This has absolutely nothing to do with club soccer hierarchy sitting around like Dr Evil plotting to expand their control.

3. Players get taught....I touched on this in point 1. Ridiculous. Parents may feel this way, in my experience kids never do. My son never ever had a HS teammate question his choice to play NC Academy. He was never called selfish or arrogant or anything of the like. They saw it as a choice and thats all it ever was.

4. Playing for HS.....for 99% of kids I agree with you. Its an awesome experience. The most fun I EVER had coaching was my last year of coaching JV boys. I had a ball and loved those guys to death. For a small minority of kids...there are better options for development The HS game is big enough to survive without that odd player or 2.

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Your defense of the USSF Academy decision is excellent and you have repeatedly gone on record saying "it's about choice" and "academy isn't for everyone". I agree. Your son made a difficult choice and never looked back, and.....it worked for him. No doubt.

My concern is that USSF Academy is "sold" as a means to advance to the national team and a method to play pro soccer either abroad or here in the US. Only a small fraction of the players will ever get to this level, where they will earn a significant check for playing pro soccer.

I have to believe that 90% of the parents and players are content with a full or partial scholarship to a D1 (or D2) program as a result of participating in Academy. True, you say that you need to play at the highest club level to get the attention of high-level college coaches.

But.....what if Academy didn't exist? How would colleges recruit their players? From the various USSF Region leagues? CASL and Disney Showcases? Surf Cup? Under this model, which existed not that long ago, kids played highly competitive club soccer AND high school soccer. And the system worked.

On the boys side, are more college coaches now singing the praises of Academy, saying "I'm glad I'm now receiving players that are better skilled and more tactically aware"?

On the girls side, I've heard D1 coaches say that they are really concerned (and frustrated) that more and more good players are now "burned out" as a result of the increases in practice, games and travel that come with playing at "the highest level".

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Daddy,

Your defense of the USSF Academy decision is excellent and you have repeatedly gone on record saying "it's about choice" and "academy isn't for everyone". I agree. Your son made a difficult choice and never looked back, and.....it worked for him. No doubt.

My concern is that USSF Academy is "sold" as a means to advance to the national team and a method to play pro soccer either abroad or here in the US. Only a small fraction of the players will ever get to this level, where they will earn a significant check for playing pro soccer.

I have to believe that 90% of the parents and players are content with a full or partial scholarship to a D1 (or D2) program as a result of participating in Academy. True, you say that you need to play at the highest club level to get the attention of high-level college coaches.

But.....what if Academy didn't exist? How would colleges recruit their players? From the various USSF Region leagues? CASL and Disney Showcases? Surf Cup? Under this model, which existed not that long ago, kids played highly competitive club soccer AND high school soccer. And the system worked.

On the boys side, are more college coaches now singing the praises of Academy, saying "I'm glad I'm now receiving players that are better skilled and more tactically aware"?

On the girls side, I've heard D1 coaches say that they are really concerned (and frustrated) that more and more good players are now "burned out" as a result of the increases in practice, games and travel that come with playing at "the highest level".

Hurst, inside the article in the Charlotte Observer was this quote from Jay Vidovich:

"Jay Vidovich, the men’ soccer coach at Wake Forest University, said top soccer players need to be seen in as many quality games as possible. He said the academy provides a better environment to help players improve and players are more advanced than non-academy players. Vidovich said his incoming freshmen are either products of the academy or European players. “If you are looking to compete at the highest level in college, you have to be in this program,”.

The system "worked" in the past because the goal was getting to college. The fact that many colleges played an ugly and unattractive style that didn't translate outside of the American college game was either not understood or people didn't care. Academy is an attempt at changing that and moving the high level American game forward. No, we will never be Spain or Brasil. But we can move in that direction.

Identifying the best and most motivated players and getting them in a 10 month, focussed environment will yield huge benefits to the American game, in time. No......the vast majority of Academy boys will never play on a national team or on an MLS or EPL team. But more kids will be approaching that level 5-7 years from now than could have been imagined 5-7 years ago.

Academy wasn't meant to tweak the status quo. It was meant to jack it up to a new level. It may work or it may not work. It may be for some kids and it may not be for others.

But its a great improvement, IMO. Time will tell.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Reading the article, it says the Wando player will be attending college of charleston on a soccer scholarship. you would think his parents and himself would realize he's already achieved the highest reward you could ever get out of the sport of soccer in the usa, and that's a college education with a portion (most of the time) or all of it paid for because he's a good soccer player. I just don't see the upside of soccer for anyone after high school unless it gets them a college scholarship. What else can they achieve in this country in soccer. I don't see where he's going to benefit from 10 months of training with an academy team his senior year of high school, when he's attending the college of charleston the following year. Can't he achieve higher soccer goals at the college of charleston? Or does nobody go and watch mens college soccer?

What should open some parents eyes is that in baseball, football, and basketball you can play on a club team, AAU, or train if your a football player and still participate on high school teams and they don't interfere with each other. Does soccer suck so bad in the usa that usa clubs and academy's need to deprive youths from their high school years,some of the best times of their lives or are academy's and clubs just after your wallet.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
It's amazing that the three major sports in this country, football, basketball and baseball seem to survive with their athletes competing in high school sports.

How do they do it?

B
brace
brace
B
Without taking sides, a few points worth noting:
1) One reason why it's easier for "other sports" to avoid the high school vs. Academy/club/AAU conflict is the consistency of high school schedules regionally and nationwide. Not so for soccer. There are fall, winter and spring schedules, depending on the state. Even a 4-month Academy schedule will conflict with SOME high school season SOMEWHERE.
2) U.S. Soccer is encouraging academies to reduce fees, and enhance "scholarship" opportunities. SCUBDA fees for 2012-13 are half those of previous years.
3) High school soccer is not free. Parents pay for uniforms, coaching stipends (through booster clubs), game tickets, food, drinks, etc. The total cost runs in the $500 range (for 3.5 months).

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
IF I'M A COACH OF A HIGH SCHOOL TEAM AND HAVE A PLAYER BEING FORCED TO CHOOSE; I'M PUTTING HIM ON MY ROSTER AND SAY SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN. NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME THE TOTAL INFLEXABILITY OF COACHES WITH TWO SPORT STUDENTS.SCIENTISTS LOOKING FOR THE GOD PARTICLE CAN STOP. ITS IN MOST OF THE COACHES BUTTS.
I KNOW ITS BETTER FOR PLAYERS TO PARTICIPATE IN A 10 MONTH ACADEMY WHEN IT COMES TO FUTURE COLLEGE OPPORTUNITIES BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE BLACKMAIL AND FEAR MONGERING

B
brace
brace
B
I would reinforce the comments about college recruiters. Over the last 3 seasons, I've watched approximately 90 high school matches. I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen college coaches at those games, and THEN, it was clearly to monitor kids who had already committed.
Conversely, during the recent Academy playoffs in Dallas, I saw dozens of coaches, with a minimum of 5-10 schools represented at each match.
Guess what I'm saying is, Academy is NOT done at the expense of the traditional "American" college/education model. In fact, practically speaking, it generally supports and serves that model.
The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

3) High school soccer is not free. Parents pay for uniforms, coaching stipends (through booster clubs), game tickets, food, drinks, etc. The total cost runs in the $500 range (for 3.5 months).

I can only speak definitively for the two schools where I have coached, but in those cases, coaching stipends certainly have not come from parents/booster clubs. Uniforms have been primarily bought through the school athletic department budget and have been supplemented by booster club general funds and team fundraising through the booster club. In no case has there been a mandatory player/parent fee for uniforms (or anything else, for that matter); players are responsible for acquiring cleats and shinguards but all other items of uniform, equipment and transportation are provided by the school, and in no case do coaches receive money for services rendered from parents or the booster club with the exception of approved (with receipt) booster club reimbursement for expenses incurred.

The other expenses--tickets, food and drink, etc.--are optional according to the parents' ability/willingness to support their players and the team; some contribute a lot, some a little, each according to their means, so you can't really say there is any set "cost" for high school soccer that is comparable to club/Academy fees and there is no inclusion/exclusion of players based on ability to pay fees to the school or booster club.

I realize that other school programs may operate on very different models, but that's how we do things here in Berkeley County.

I've got good news and bad news...
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
i think this post started out that a wando soccer player had to make a decision about playing hs or academy. why would the wando family care about a college coach coming to watch their son play at an academy event when he's already committed to the college of charleston?

$500 cost for hs soccer... I don't think so. my child played 4 years in hs went to the state finals 3x (4 extra games a year)it was maybe $200-$250 a year. Our hs football program revenue supported soccer. they let us know that our freshman year, by saying "YOU WILL WORK THE CONCESSION STAND AT FOOTBALL GAMES". my child played in front of more people in high school than i've ever seen at a college soccer (D1, D2) or club game (Disney, State, Regionals). i just don't get what some parents expect to achieve for their child by pushing the hell out of them for 10 months of soccer a year. Heck Major League Baseball is only 7 months, NFL 6 months. And yet your asking a HS kid to commit to 10 months of soccer. WOW!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I would reinforce the comments about college recruiters. Over the last 3 seasons, I've watched approximately 90 high school matches. I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen college coaches at those games, and THEN, it was clearly to monitor kids who had already committed.
Conversely, during the recent Academy playoffs in Dallas, I saw dozens of coaches, with a minimum of 5-10 schools represented at each match.
Guess what I'm saying is, Academy is NOT done at the expense of the traditional "American" college/education model. In fact, practically speaking, it generally supports and serves that model.
The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

The following collegiate coaches were in attendance at the 2012 Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School:

Mark Berson, USC
Brian Cronin, Clemson
Geoff del Forn, USC Upstate
John Keating, Belmont-Abbey
Troy Lesesne, Charleston
Spencer Lewis, USC
Bert Molinary, USC
John Murphy, Clemson
Ike Ofoje, USC Aiken
Ralph Polson, Wofford
Warren Turner, Erskine

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
As a parent, if I had a child who was truly desiring to play soccer in college, I would probably be following suit and doing whatver, Academy, ECNL etc, to get my child the maximum exposure.

But really at this point and going forward, you really have no choice.

The "Monster" the ECNL's, the Academy's of the world have created dictate this.

Obviously they created it this way to lure you in and keep you in. You feel, "you have to do it".

But to have to go to Chicago, Texas, New Jersey, Washington state, etc... to be seen by "hundreds' of college scouts really lacks good logic. Because if you are living here in good ole South Carolina, let's face it, very, very few players will play outside of a 3 state region. And most will play for small colleges in this state. If they play in college at all.

B
brace
brace
B
Can't speak for Berkeley County or the Upstate. Can only tell you that, between uniforms, "encouraged" booster club support, ticket cost, etc., playing h.s. soccer at one school runs about $500/year.
As to the article in question, the player, as quoted says nothing about exposure or playing professionally. He talks about the toughness of the decision, the relative quality of training, and his desire to remain supportive of the high school program.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It costs around 200/year for my kids to play h.s. ball.Probably spent 1500 for club..No regrets..Would do it again in a skinny minute..If kids choose to play academy and not school ball..It's a choice..That's where they want to be..Most high schools have a player or two that play at that level where most do not..The only teams that are going to get watered down are the few that carry three or more..

B
brace
brace
B
Hi Kyle: A fair point about the Palmetto Cup, though having been there, I'd say your list represents total attendance, over multiple days and matches. I've been at several PC matches over the last 3 years where no college coaches were in attendance. Not a knock, 'cause it's a great tournament!
As to regular-season matches ... you see my point.
I'd also add that, anyone BOY who chooses affiliation based on exposure to college coaches is kidding himself. Very, very few domestic male NCAA Division I college soccer players receive more than fractional grant-in-aid support ... especially as freshmen. In general, those who receive support initially attracted attention as 12-13-year-olds in club and camp environments BEFORE THEY PLAYED A MINUTE OF HIGH SCHOOL (OR ACADEMY) SOCCER.
Continued development in those environments merely confirms skill and commitment levels. That's why the REAL issue FOR THOSE KIDS is development; i.e., the best environment to maximize potential. With no more than a handful of exceptions in our state, boys' high school soccer does not provide that type of competitive training environment.
That's not a knock on high school soccer, which can be a great experience in many important ways. That's why many reasonable people support letting kids do BOTH.

A
Goal
Goal
A
If this has already been posted or is a topic of another thread(which I could not find) I apologise.
I spoke to several coaches at Carolina's Elite camp this past weekend who informed me that apparently the Academy vs H.S. decision will not affect kids in private schools- something to do with educational rights and some type of judicial decision made in the Mid West.I was told it wasn't final but looked extemely probable.
The fisrt thought that crossed my mind--how many Jablonski's of the world will now be pursued by local private schools in order to play both.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I was talking with a player recently about his team mate who was also giving up his senior year for academy. This young man was also considering trying out for academy, but he was being urged to do so by his father to help get opportunities to play in college. He heard an acquaintance was offered a spot by a college coach who had never seen him play, but signed him simply because he was on the roster for an academy team.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I was talking with a player recently about his team mate who was also giving up his senior year for academy. This young man was also considering trying out for academy, but he was being urged to do so by his father to help get opportunities to play in college. He heard an acquaintance was offered a spot by a college coach who had never seen him play, but signed him simply because he was on the roster for an academy team.

You mention "college" twice in your post. Academy is not about preparing players to play college soccer, it's about preparing them to become professionals. No secret that European clubs want kids when they are young. It's been stated many times that 15 or 16 is the age that separates "the men from the boys". In a perfect world, if all academy kids found a professional home by age 18, the colleges would be left with only recruiting RPL and classic/challenge players.

Would it be a terrible thing if the quality of American college soccer was suddenly "downgraded"?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
brace
brace
B
Hurst: Agreed on your basic statement of Academy being a "pro" prep. Then again, there's practical reality. Look at the 2011-12 SCUBDA U17-18 roster, and see how many are going pro out of high school vs. attending college.
While I don't endorse Academy as a cost-effective vehicle for pursuing a college grant-in-aid, it does effectively showcase kids (to college coaches) in high-quality training and competitive environments.
By the way, so does high-level club soccer, such as CESA.
High school soccer ... not so much. I mean, just how relevant or telling is a 5-assist or 3-goal "outburst" in many high school games? How often have folks here debated the merits/cruelty of 18-0 thrashings in high school? (Answer: Often enough for all of us to recognize they happen WAY TOO OFTEN.)
High school soccer merely confirms what most coaches have learned in camp, club, Academy or ODP settings.
Moreover, the endless comparison between CESA and Academy in this state is largely pointless. My guess is, the reason MANY kids (and their parents) choose one or the other is geographical convenience. CESA is more convenient for many upstate kids; Academy for many Lowcountry and Horry/PeeDee kids.
In the case of the player in the article cited early in this thread, I feel certain he weighed what he saw as the relative merits of high school and Academy soccer, then (with no small regret) chose the latter.
That adults on BOTH sides of the high school/Academy issue couldn't find common ground and, at least, grandfather previously dual-affiliated kids through ...
I'll leave it there.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

You mention "college" twice in your post. Academy is not about preparing players to play college soccer, it's about preparing them to become professionals. No secret that European clubs want kids when they are young. It's been stated many times that 15 or 16 is the age that separates "the men from the boys". In a perfect world, if all academy kids found a professional home by age 18, the colleges would be left with only recruiting RPL and classic/challenge players.

Would it be a terrible thing if the quality of American college soccer was suddenly "downgraded"?

That's great, I hope that comes to fruition. However, the role Academy serves was not the point of my post. My point was two-fold. First, a player, and his father, views Academy as a way to play in college. Second, and more significantly, he had been told a college coach signed a player the coach had never seen play, but made an offer simply because his commit was on an Academy team roster. I thought that was interesting.

B
brace
brace
B
Any college coach who offers a kid without seeing him train/play/etc. on multiple occasions -- at least on video -- is a fool.
That recruit is your career's lifeblood. Better get it right.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I agree. The story sounds more like an urban legend. However, we didn't say what level of college soccer we were talking about. A lower level D2 school......possible. A D1 school........I don't believe it.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I think any coach who would do that is not stable. But this is what this young man heard and it gets passed along among his peers.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Hurst: Agreed on your basic statement of Academy being a "pro" prep. Then again, there's practical reality. Look at the 2011-12 SCUBDA U17-18 roster, and see how many are going pro out of high school vs. attending college.
While I don't endorse Academy as a cost-effective vehicle for pursuing a college grant-in-aid, it does effectively showcase kids (to college coaches) in high-quality training and competitive environments.

Backscreen,
I agree with you 100%. A kid has to play at the highest level in order to catch the eye of a coach of a competitive D1 program (and earn scholarship money). My point is that the highest level used to be Region 3 Premier League, and all the colleges were fine with it (except maybe Wake Forest). Why did we need another level when the college coaches were able to identify players under the "old system"? When R3PL was the top of the mountain, your son was being challenged in that environment. If playing in college is "the end" for 90% of players/parents, why did we need another level that sacraficed the high school experience?

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I'm having a hard time keeping up with who-is-who! Is Backscreen17 Jablonski's father? I think dhunter's son played in college too. Hurst66 had a daughter or two play in college right?

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Backscreen,
I agree with you 100%. A kid has to play at the highest level in order to catch the eye of a coach of a competitive D1 program (and earn scholarship money). My point is that the highest level used to be Region 3 Premier League, and all the colleges were fine with it (except maybe Wake Forest). Why did we need another level when the college coaches were able to identify players under the "old system"? When R3PL was the top of the mountain, your son was being challenged in that environment. If playing in college is "the end" for 90% of players/parents, why did we need another level that sacraficed the high school experience?

Hurst, how does a player "earn" the right to play on a R3 team?

The old system rewarded team success. The new system is about players, not teams.

I'd also go back....R3 boys play in the Fall. NC plays HS in the fall. So NC teams playing in R3 aren't training or playing any other competiion as a team. While its nice to say the old R3 had CASL or Greensboro or a top CHarlotte team....what they had were shells of top teams. Those teams didn't really come together until mid Nov.

Having done both, its really no comparison.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Hi Kyle: A fair point about the Palmetto Cup, though having been there, I'd say your list represents total attendance, over multiple days and matches. I've been at several PC matches over the last 3 years where no college coaches were in attendance. Not a knock, 'cause it's a great tournament!
As to regular-season matches ... you see my point.
I'd also add that, anyone BOY who chooses affiliation based on exposure to college coaches is kidding himself. Very, very few domestic male NCAA Division I college soccer players receive more than fractional grant-in-aid support ... especially as freshmen. In general, those who receive support initially attracted attention as 12-13-year-olds in club and camp environments BEFORE THEY PLAYED A MINUTE OF HIGH SCHOOL (OR ACADEMY) SOCCER.
Continued development in those environments merely confirms skill and commitment levels. That's why the REAL issue FOR THOSE KIDS is development; i.e., the best environment to maximize potential. With no more than a handful of exceptions in our state, boys' high school soccer does not provide that type of competitive training environment.
That's not a knock on high school soccer, which can be a great experience in many important ways. That's why many reasonable people support letting kids do BOTH.

My son played for North Meck Academy. His jr year of HS we played NC Fusion in Greensboro at Bryan Park stadium field. Just a regular season game. At that game were national team coaches.....multiple Wake Forest coaches, UNC coaches, NC State coaches, Elon coaches, etc etc etc. This was just a game.....not a tournament. While that was a little bit extreme, I don't ever recall a game he played when there wasn't multiple D1 coaches in attendance. By contrast, in 3 years of R3PL play...I don't ever recall seeing a coach at a game. I'm sure someone was there, just can't say I ever saw them.

Why? No clue. Maybe becasue R3 is in season for colleges. Maybe the level of play isn't as good. No idea why.....only know what I saw.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
U.S. Soccer star criticizes high school ban

Article Written by J.R. Eskilson, ESNN
Published: July 17, 2012

Much has been made of the U.S. Soccer Federation moving its prized youth development outlet, the Development Academy, to a ten-month schedule and banning full-time players from playing high school sports.

17-year-old Landon Donovan

Last week at the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year ceremony, Landon Donovan and Brandi Chastain, on hand as presenters, had plenty to say on the subject, and where they would like to see player development in the U.S. improve.

“Not my cup of tea,” Chastain told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “I loved high school sports and always will. I’ll encourage my son to play high school sports. There is a wonderful experience to be had in playing high school sports.”

Chastain’s son just turned six years old this month, so it is a while off before he will make the difficult choice between Academy and high school, but the former U.S. women’s national team great has put a lot of thought into her opinion on the subject already.

“Now, some high schools have wonderful teams and the level doesn’t go down. Other high schools don’t [play at that level] but there is something to be said about being amongst your peers and wearing that letterman’s jacket with the block letter on the chest. I think there is room for that.”

Social aspects aside, Chastain questioned the thought process from those signing off on the new rule.

“I honestly think that sometimes I want to shake the people in charge because it is not about you. It is about these kids having this experience because they cannot get it back.”

While Donovan was not quite as outspoken about the new rule, he did reflect positively on his brief time at Redlands East Valley High School.

“Those couple of years were some of the best memories of my life,” Donovan told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “I remember the bus rides when you get on the bus after school and had somewhere to play a game. It was just fun.

“There is such a hierarchy because when you are a freshman, you are just watching the seniors and soaking it in. And I do miss that. I wish I had gotten to the point where I could have been a senior and paved the way for the younger guys.”

While Donovan reminisces about the missed opportunity, he does believe that USSF is taking the right step with the Academy.

“I think it was inevitable. When you look at the game around the world, the way it is played and the way players are developed, that is the model they use.

“It is difficult because some of my best times were playing high school soccer. It wasn’t the best for my development, but it was some of the best times. There is still a place for kids who want to play high school soccer, but I think the elite players are going to shift to playing against other elite players. That is the only way you make the game better and better.”

The all time leading scorer in U.S. Men’s National Team history also had other comments on improving the structure in the youth soccer game.

“I think the most important thing is that we are indentifying enough talented players. I played on a club team with four or five players more talented than I was, but never would’ve had a chance to make it – some for their own doing but others because there was no system in place to recognize the kids. My hope is that we can start indentifying more kids and giving more kids an opportunity.”

When asked about stepping into a coaching role after his playing days ended, Donovan was open to the idea.

“I am not sure I would want to be a coach of a professional team – the pressure and travel is what I like the least - but I think coaching a youth team would be fun. If I get that opportunity, it is something I would like to do.”

B
brace
brace
B
This is an interesting piece.
First, regarding Chastain's comments, I would argue that the women's soccer developmental and career paths in this country are tangibly different from the men's; not to mention that her high school experience occurred some 20 years ago, in a much different place and time. Doesn't render her opinion invalid; just different. My guess is, had there been a Women's Academy back then, she would have been there, if forced to choose. If her son chooses to pursue soccer, we'll see what HIS choice will be in 8-10 years ... if no accommodation has been reached by that time.
---
Second, while Donovan recalls his high school experience positively, he seems to endorse the USSF approach. Which doesn't necessarily make it right, but seems to be a tad more relevant.
As I've said repeatedly, the correct answer is BOTH ... with coaches recognizing their counterparts' contribution to personal and athletic development.
I would point out one other irony. My son has been approached several times to try out as a kicker for his high school football team. When he expressed concern about potential conflicts with the fall Academy schedule, the FOOTBALL coaches hastened to point out that they'd do everything they could to minimize practice time and potential conflicts.
Imagine that. "Hard-headed" football coaches aggressively seeking an accommodation, while soccer programs and coaches can not.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Backscreen....I disagree with you a little bit regarding maintaining the status quo and DOnovan's take on that. Everyone is locking in on the pro high school comments he made. This is what I saw as the key point:

"While Donovan reminisces about the missed opportunity, he does believe that USSF is taking the right step with the Academy.

“I think it was inevitable. When you look at the game around the world, the way it is played and the way players are developed, that is the model they use.

“It is difficult because some of my best times were playing high school soccer. It wasn’t the best for my development, but it was some of the best times. There is still a place for kids who want to play high school soccer, but I think the elite players are going to shift to playing against other elite players. That is the only way you make the game better and better.”

He is illustrating the conflict. No one said this was a no-brainer. He loved HS. But.....for the top player, 10 month Academy is the best way to go for the elite player.

That came thru loud and clear to me. Status quo won't get it done.

B
brace
brace
B
Yes, I think we're pretty much on the same page; maybe a different paragraph. If I'm reading it correctly, without being negative, he sees a potential sacrifice for the kids who love (and benefit from) BOTH.
From a parental perspective, I'd say it's important for all to understand that Academy GUARANTEES nothing more than high-level training and competition. This may lead to an enhanced opportunity for:
1) That one-in-a-thousand shot at playing for a national team.
2) That one-in-hundreds shot of playing professionally.
3) That one-in-dozens shot of receiving SIGNIFICANT grant-in-aid support for college.
4) The better than even money shot at SOME aid for college.

Caveat emptor ... whether it be club, Academy, high school.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

I'm having a hard time keeping up with who-is-who! Is Backscreen17 Jablonski's father? I think dhunter's son played in college too. Hurst66 had a daughter or two play in college right?

Nope, dhunter only has daughters. None have entered college yet and neither have a desire to play in college. My comments on the subject were to share an Academy age players idea on why he wanted to play at this level; which was to help him play in college.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012
High school ban hits hard in Manhattan

By Mike Woitalla
Martin Jacobson is likely the most renowned high school soccer coach in the USA as his success with inner-city New York kids, at a school dubbed "Horror High" by the tabloids, has been well-documented by media outlets, including CBS's "60 Minutes."

After serving as a guidance counselor at Manhattan’s Martin Luther King Jr. High School for a decade, Jacobson took charge of the team’s winless soccer team in the mid-1990s and began by finding talent among students in ESL (English as a Second Language) and bilingual classes.

At the West Side school that has no soccer field of its own, Jacobson guided the MLK Knights to the PSAL Class A title in 1996 and last year celebrated his 13th championship in 17 seasons. That success has largely come with at-risk inner-city kids, some of whom Jacobson has found foster parents and group homes for, and steered away from gangs and drugs. Jacobson even enlists lawyers to assist players with immigration issues.

This fall, Jacobson faces a new challenge: the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s ban on high school ball, which affects up to eight players in his squad. Understandably, Jacobson is upset that clubs to which he recommended players now demand that they forgo playing for the Knights.

“When the Academy started [in 2007], I said, ‘Go play. I encourage you. You go play for the best club if you can,’” says Jacobson, who has discovered plenty of talent with his summer pickup soccer program, including Bakary Soumare, a 2009 MLS All-Star. “I would call the coaches up to recommend players. … You need a cooperative attitude, a cooperative effort to identify players.”

But this year, the Academy bosses decided that high school soccer impeded players’ development.

“I don’t think a 10-week high-school season was killing the Academy program,” he says. “They’re still playing. And they’re kids. And they’re still socializing.”

While Jacobson laments the prospect of losing top players who can help him win titles, he’s particularly concerned about the kids who may not stay on the educational track if they’re not inspired by staying eligible for high school play.

“I work 24/7 helping these kids,” he says. “What are the Academies going to do in terms of meeting social needs? Do they care about the kids' education? Are they going to check their grades?

“We’ve saved lives that way. I have the highest graduation rate in the city for a non-specialized school. In the last few years, I have graduated every single kid who’s played for me. Citywide they graduate 52 percent.”

Jacobson empathizes with the Federation’s quest to improve the quality of American soccer but not what he sees as an uncooperative approach.

“I know they want to model things after Europe,” he says. “I have a lot of respect for Bob Montgomery [the Red Bulls Academy Director], and for MLS clubs wanting to develop talent. And I could respect the approach if it were 19 MLS clubs, setting up residency programs. If they want to take one of my kids in residency, you have to let them go.

“If the kid’s got a chance to go pro, I can live with that if it’s really his choice. I can understand supporting U.S. Soccer on 19 MLS Academies -- but I can’t give U.S. Soccer blanket support for some 80 clubs keeping kids out of high school soccer.”

A notion that Jacobson can’t help but take as an insult is the implication that high school coaches aren’t good enough to train elite talent.

“Do they really think their club coaches are the best? Come on,” Jacobson says. “Do they have a secret formula they don’t tell me or any other high school coaches about?

“Have they done a study on high school coaches? I think the majority of high school coaches are excellent. And the ones who aren’t are not coaching excellent kids, in general. I think we work really hard for the kids. We meet needs the club coaches don’t provide.”
Post your response to the public Youth Soccer Insider blog.

See what others are saying on the Youth Soccer Insider blog.
FEEDBACK: Send comments to letters@socceramerica.com. Please include your first and last name and hometown.

Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012

You are receiving this newsletter at DONOHUEG3@CHARTER.NET as part of your membership with Soccer America. If this issue was forwarded to you and you would like to begin receiving a copy of your own, please visit our site - www.socceramerica.com/members - to join.
If you'd rather not receive this newsletter in the future, let us know.

Please do not reply to this email.
Editorial Contact: mike@socceramerica.com
Membership Contact: circulation@socceramerica.com

We welcome and appreciate forwarding of our newsletters in their entirety or in part with proper attribution.
(c) 2012 Soccer America, 145 Pipers Hill Road Wilton, CT 06897 USA

throw in
throw in
What DA players are not playing HS this spring? Schools affected?

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard