Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159056 07/15/12 06:50 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
From a recent article in Top Drawer Soccer, concerning 10 things to look out for this upcoming season:

8. The Game Can Be Beautiful: Last year I began to see some small but promising signs of teams who were willing to play a more attractive brand of soccer, reemphasizing technical quality, and tactical sophistication that can be great to watch. I know teams can’t just unilaterally ignore the physical game or they will get run through, but at least trying to keep the ball on the deck and knock it around a little can give the opposition something more to think about than whom are they going to smash in the mouth next. My personal heroes in this vein are the ladies at Boston University. Nancy Feldman and her staff seem to have a knack for getting the Terriers to do it right. This team is great to watch play. And small conference or not, BU is getting closer and closer to breaking into a much more prominent scene in the women’s game. Keep your eyes out for the teams who keep it on the ground. They’ll thank you for it.

9. Is It Just Us, Or do hard and cynical fouls in the women’s game tend to be overlooked quite a bit more by officials? My interest here isn’t so much about equality but to reward skill and discourage cynical play. Teams that get outworked with a good series of passes or beaten via excellent technical speed, shouldn’t have the recourse of just chopping their opponents down. Too many times I saw this tactic employed last year without a yellow or red card given (happens all the time in club play too). Let’s enforce this law by the letter and I think we’ll find the women’s game can be even more entertaining to watch.

10. I Say it Every Year, but, I would still like to get a uniform policy on substitution in college soccer. At the very least could we make it the same for the second half as the first? Currently a player cannot re-enter the field in the first half but is allowed to re-enter once in the second half. Eliminating that re-entry provision would greatly improve the quality of the game. I heard another approach last December at the College Cup from Wake Forest coach Tony Da Luz. He suggested a set number of substitutions allowed each team during the game, regardless of who it is coming in or going out or how many times per player (I think his number might have been something like a dozen but I can’t recall).

#8 - Love to hear a womens college coach weigh in on this one. Everybody loves the athletes, the "race horses". They dominate competitive club soccer and they are easy to identify. Do any college coaches think they actually have the time or ability to teach a team of young women to play "like Spain"? Or is it just much easier (and convenient) to play high pressure and capitalize on mistakes made by the opponent?

#9 - Spot on! Referees should call these fouls at every level and not bail out by saying "I'm letting them play". If a referee can't identify a tactical foul, hard or soft, he/she doesn't belong officiating college or high-level club games. Reward teams that can pass and punish teams that have to resort to rough play in order to stay in a match.

#10 - Great idea. Allow 10 or 12 subs in womens college soccer (since most rosters are huge) but once you're out, you're done. Let fitness come into play a little.....it's part of the game.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
throw in
throw in
F
#8 few and far between. Many do not even attempt to play attractive soccer because power is a short cut to wins. And wins keep them their jobs. The WNT has some play in this as well, that team is a power team- there are tons of better skilled players in the country that would allow the WNT to play like Japan/France/Brazil (in the womens game)and are never looked at due to physical strength

#9 Has been a problem for years. The girls game is allowed to be a slugfest at almost all levels- the players answer to highly skilled players is to hack and consistently get away with it. Charging players from the back is almost never called and therefore it works to have "bigger" players- its succesful. I coached a high level U12 girls game recently where the players were coached to challenge from behind everytime a player received the ballclub- it was shocking this was being taught at a high level (Charlotte club)

#10 hate ANY limits on subsitutions- college players train hard and long. Anything that limits the coaches ability to a least reward the players with some game time should be discouraged. Under the current rules, most coaches rarely play more than 18 and most of the college rosters have 25+. Additional restrictions will move the number played lower, not higher- due to coaches wanting their starters in at the end of games

Link Copied to Clipboard