Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Logisitics have a lot to do with this. There is no Academy in the GSP-A area. But there is CESA. Kids have a choice...stay home and play for CESA or drive 1-2 hours each way, 3-4 times per week to play Academy.

I'm a big Academy fan.....but if we lived in the Upstate my kids would be at CESA.

I do think SCU gets 90-95% of the "1 percenters" in the Coastal area and the Columbia area. You aren't going to get a "State" team without people driving huge distances.

There are many older academy eligible kids who drive from Columbia and Charleston 4+ hours to play at CESA, if the Acadmey is all that why dont they just play there? My guess is that it isn't all that because it isnt a true "academy". If it was it would attract ALL of the best players and all of the best coaches.

B
brace
brace
B
As one whose son has played for extended periods in club, high school and Academy, I'd only say that each has its strengths.
Club is a convenient, reasonably cost-effective way for many kids to compete at a very high level. (The point about geographic proximity has some validity).
High school soccer is inexpensive, convenient, a great "social" venue, and (in a minority of situations) competitive enough. From a purely competitive/developmental standpoint, many "elite" athletes effectively outgrow high school fairly quickly, and for them, there is a point of diminishing returns. From what I've seen, junior year.
The Academy, while not perfect, is getting better. More coaches are involved, the cost is decreasing, and the competitive level increasing. This past year, both age groups won their regions; a first. This is not to say it's perfect -- what is? -- but it's on a positive track.
An aside here: the comment about 1-percenters is a bit ridiculous, on two levels. If you look at this past season's U18 Academy side, many will play Division I soccer. A number of the U16s have already committed to that level.
Similarly, many CESA kids will play D-I as well, which is great.
A mythical single "all-star" team at the U18 age would doubtless include representatives of both, which would seem to imply that both are doing something right.
In general, the kids are a lot less hung up on this than the parents.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard