Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Fxdwg #159792 10/13/12 08:14 PM
H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
Quote:

So how many of you folks have daughters playing on the ECNL teams? Just wondering since there seems to be so much concern on the forum about these teams, but I don't hear any of these concerns standing on the sidelines at league games.
There are very few games the ECNL teams aren't competitive. Now, they may not always get the result (win) we would like, but there haven't been many games over the last few years where they weren't competitive.
CESA is a small market club playing in a national league with clubs from much bigger markets. Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be some growing pains?
Since everybody on here seems to know somebody who has a child playing on the ECNL team, ask them their thoughts about the team, league, etc. Yeah, I'm sure someone will have a negitive comment, but I'll guess most of the feedback will be positive.

Mine played 2 years on ECNL teams. One year there was no league and one there was.The league is not what it was suppose to be. No college coaches showing up.We left cause the training sucked and it is now showing with the ECNL teams.
Dont give me that crap anout a small market cesa is in.Remember the 17s were the almighty 16 region champs.Does that mean that the region championships were that week now that cesa is loosing in ECNL. They are drawing from the whole state.That isnt to small of a market. There are many small market teams in ECNL.
The teams they play in the league are not even the better teams. If i remember right they are still in the lower B bracket so that thought you have about playing these great teams because they are in a national league is bull.

Fxdwg #159793 10/13/12 08:15 PM
H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
Quote:

So how many of you folks have daughters playing on the ECNL teams? Just wondering since there seems to be so much concern on the forum about these teams, but I don't hear any of these concerns standing on the sidelines at league games.
There are very few games the ECNL teams aren't competitive. Now, they may not always get the result (win) we would like, but there haven't been many games over the last few years where they weren't competitive.
CESA is a small market club playing in a national league with clubs from much bigger markets. Did anyone really believe there wouldn't be some growing pains?
Since everybody on here seems to know somebody who has a child playing on the ECNL team, ask them their thoughts about the team, league, etc. Yeah, I'm sure someone will have a negitive comment, but I'll guess most of the feedback will be positive.

The feedback will be positive or negative by who is standing close enough to hear.

Hard Headed #159794 10/13/12 11:04 PM
F
Throw In
Throw In
F
The ECNL is only in year 4, so I guess your daughter played the first couple of years. Again, our experience has been great over the past 4 years. We still have much too small a sample to determine of this was a good move for CESA.
Yes, CESA is a small market team...even if they pull from the entire state of SC. Look at the numbers the GA and NC clubs pull from, and its not even close population wise. I'm sure there are some other small market clubs, but they are probably still bigger than CESA.
Like I said in my previous post, there is a huge difference in being competitive in games vs. winning each game. Only been a couple of games over the past 4 years where I could say we weren't competitive in either Premier or ECNL leagues. Lets take a look at the CESA teams after year 10 in ECNL and then we will have enough data points to make an informed decision on if this was a good move or not.

Fxdwg #159795 10/15/12 12:32 PM
U
Throw In
Throw In
U
Coaches from Clemson & Furman were at the ECNL games at MeSA yesterday and every college on the east coast will have a representative at the national event in Sanford in December. No complaints about exposure from this ECNL parent.

B
brace
brace
B
Parents who put their kids in leagues for "exposure" purposes are delusional. Put your kid in a league where player development is the No. 1 priority, and the rest will take care of itself.

Backscreen17 #159797 10/15/12 05:27 PM
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
so what club is sc offers the best player development? how do u qualify/quantify that if not be wins/losses?

B
brace
brace
B
You MAY be able to quantify TEAM development through wins and losses. (Though this isn't ALWAYS true.) But you quantify PLAYER development through multiple metrics, most of which are worked on and evaluated in training, where a different kind of competition takes place. American youth soccer has myriad shortcomings, not the least of which is a genuine shortage of "time on the ball." You don't get time on the ball in games.
My observation about exposure for exposure's sake is simply this: Exposure without development is worse than no exposure at all. In essence, all you're doing is demonstrating your shortcomings and lack of proper training. A coach at a higher level may look at an under-trained kid and say to himself: "Wow, what a RAW talent! Maybe I could get more out of that with a legitimate training regimen." More likely, he'll go with kids who already possess the requisite technical skills.

Backscreen17 #159799 10/15/12 06:19 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Translation: I can teach strategy in a few sessions. I can instill/evaluate toughness fairly quickly. I CAN'T get a kid thousands of hours on a ball in anything less than 3-4 years. By then, the kid's in graduate school.

H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
Quote:

Coaches from Clemson & Furman were at the ECNL games at MeSA yesterday and every college on the east coast will have a representative at the national event in Sanford in December. No complaints about exposure from this ECNL parent.

Glad two local coaches showed up. Thats not being sarcastic.
Not all players there that day can go to Furman or Clemson. The league is not a good selling point for being or not being (PAYING) to be in the ECNL. If coachs do show up for a league game it is a local coach looking at local players.Still, from our time in the league i very seldom saw a college coach at the league games. I hope with Clemson and Furman showing up they will recruit some of those local players. Furman already does. I did hear yesterday that Clemson was only interested in one u-17 player that was there.
I think we all know the coaches are at the national events. You just have to hope they will have the time and want to stop by a game your kid is playing in and that they are not just there for the other team.
You also have to hope that a player is getting the training and coaching to play well when the coaches stop by. On top of that you have to pray your kid is in the game when the coaches are there.

Just Curious #159801 10/16/12 05:58 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Perhaps CESA has consolidated some of the best talent in the state to field one top level team per age group, but the upstate doesn't have the numbers to field two top teams in each age group. Certainly the ECNL teams should be competitive given the talent and coaching. However, arguably the best and certainly most experienced CESA coaches are coaching at the ECNL level, leaving the 2nd and 3rd level teams with less competitive coaches. Wonder if CESA girls will be represented in R3PL next year after this season...

"...but the upstate doesn't have the numbers to field two top teams in each age group."

They used to or came close in each age group.

"However, arguably the best and certainly most experienced CESA coaches are coaching at the ECNL level, leaving the 2nd and 3rd level teams with less competitive coaches."

With only two coaches (not necessarily the most experienced in the club) coaching the 5 ECNL teams where did all the other coaches at the club go?

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard