Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup

B
brace
brace
B
The idea that a high school athletics director and/or football coach makes this kind of money tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about educational AND athletic priorities in our state.
What this fails to account for is the ridiculous number of overgrown adolescents hired into make-work teacher/instructor jobs to support football as assistant coaches. For years, a WILDLY disproportionate number of PE and Driver Ed jobs went to assistant coaches. Arguably worse: the number who walk into more demanding academic slots without the genuine chops or willingness to do the job IN THE CLASSROOM.

O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Something near and dear to my heart as a long time Senior Women's Administrator is the discussion of high school athletics and salaries. Folks, take a look at your area and please provide some feedback!

C
Brace
Brace
C
This is a very misleading story, if you follow old gal's link in her post and enter coach, head coach or football coach you will not get any results. The supplement for coaching is not listed. Now lets educate some of you on how teachers are paid.

1. years of teaching experience.
2. level of education
3. National Board teacher
4. extra curricular activities
5. Dept head
6. Coaching supplement -Increases with number of years experience.
Those coaches who are listed at the top of the pay scale have 25 to 35 years teaching experience,have a master degree,they get a supplement for AD and Head Football coach. The bulk of their salary is for number one and 2. You can find teachers who are making 65-75K just for teaching! It is a shame the paper is just giving part of the story. Find out how much they are paid for coach only then write the story! That would not sale many papers.
Old Gal , provide a supplement scale for your district please so we can see what the coaches in your area are paid!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Well, I do know that assistant football coaches are making $4000-$5000 for their supplements as 'assistants' whereas head coaches of baseball, softball, soccer, etc. are making $2000. I don't think an assistant football coach should garner twice the salary of a head coach. Particularly at schools where those sports are emphasized.

S
goal
goal
S
maybe it should list what they teach also, altho that might be a whole nuther topic..

C
Brace
Brace
C
Hatch, How many hours do you think a soccer coach spends at the school on Saturday and Sunday game planning for the next week? How many hours watching film, breaking down the previous game and then breaking down the 3 to 5 films of the team you are getting ready to play? How many script cards does he have to make, call sheets, and adjustments. I coach both and I promise you I don't have to spend as much tiume to get ready for the next game. Heck the only film I watch is my team. Soccer coaches dont trade game film. Most of the soccer coaches in the state coach club and HS at the same time, cant do that if you are working 70 hours a week. 4a football is a big time commitment, you work all the time. I only see my family on Sunday Morning and Saturday afternoon. I dont come home on Thursday or Friday until late and then up and gone with the sun on Saturday. Now before you try to bash my commitment to soccer , I promise I work just as hard , but soccer simply does not require as much time due to the nature of the game.

O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Quote:

Hatch, How many hours do you think a soccer coach spends at the school on Saturday and Sunday game planning for the next week? How many hours watching film, breaking down the previous game and then breaking down the 3 to 5 films of the team you are getting ready to play? How many script cards does he have to make, call sheets, and adjustments. I coach both and I promise you I don't have to spend as much tiume to get ready for the next game. Heck the only film I watch is my team. Soccer coaches dont trade game film. Most of the soccer coaches in the state coach club and HS at the same time, cant do that if you are working 70 hours a week. 4a football is a big time commitment, you work all the time. I only see my family on Sunday Morning and Saturday afternoon. I dont come home on Thursday or Friday until late and then up and gone with the sun on Saturday. Now before you try to bash my commitment to soccer , I promise I work just as hard , but soccer simply does not require as much time due to the nature of the game.

I'm not Hatch, but Darlington County didn't submit their data and I am retired.

Sorry, Coach, but I know your soccer program has been down for a couple of years and your football program has always struggled since the school was formed. Do you really think a losing football team's coaches should make more money based on "coaching years"? Come on, a loser is a loser and a winner is a winner.

West Ashley, whether it was Middleton or St. Andrews, has been the definition of a loser in the Charleston area for years unless it was girls soccer. I guess y'all always "Thank Goodness" for Colleton County?

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Coach J...if you follow Old Gal's link, you can search by district and school to find a list of coaches that is broken down by position (academic and athletic), base pay, and total supplements. Still...

Old Gal,

Once again, you've gone way off-topic just for an opportunity to bash West Ashley--first in putting down the accomplishments of a very deserving young player, and now insulting an entire program based on...exactly how does that fit into the discussion we were having?

I didn't see anything in Coach J's post you quoted about comparing winning coaches' salaries to losing ones, based on "coaching years." He did mention in a previous post that coaching supplements were in part based on years of experience, but that was simply an explanation of how things are calculated--based on fact. I saw him as, having experience in both worlds, justifying the difference in soccer pay and football pay by citing the difference in number of hours spent in preparation for each.

I'm not sure what you lost in West Ashley that they wouldn't give you back, but your consistent random digressions into WA-bashing are losing you any semblance of credibility. Unless, of course, you really believe that an illogical leap of focus should have more credibility than a logical progression of topic.

Come on, adult discussion is adult discussion, and childish insults are childish insults.

I'll let you figure out who you can "thank goodness" for. I can't come up with anyone at the moment.

I've got good news and bad news...
I
goal
goal
I
I do not want anything to do with bashing, but I would like to make a point.

Many coaches earn their pay just like Coach J describes... bless all of those folks-thanks for what you do. The vast majority make their pay that way.

However,
Some like Freddie Brown, make $100,000 just to be the head football coach.

Some like Bentley at Byrnes makes $100,000 on a made up job, so he could come back to Byrnes, to be the offensive coordinator. OMG

Some like Bruce Clark at Boiling Springs got paid as if he had a Phd, according to the scale on the Dist 2 website, but he never taught a class until this year. He does not have a Phd. Now he teaches street law, whatever that is. Not to meniton monies that went to Bruce from the booster club.

Dist 2 had the "brass ones" to even ask other coaches to volunteer for free. What a bunch of junk.

These my friends are the real issues. Three real examples, in just one county.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard