Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
brace
brace
B
By the way, and for the record, I support the concept of interscholastic athletics and other extra-curricular activities, WHEN DONE RIGHT. But when the head FB coach supplements his salary with an in-name-only administrative title; when the paid staff fills an entire row of the team picture; when many of them are locking down teaching slots that arguably should go to better qualified, more committed TEACHERS, as opposed to aspiring coaches ...
That isn't my idea of "done right."

Goal
Goal
While we're at it ... why do Lexington & Richland Counties need multiple school districts? ... Greenville seems to do fine with one big one as does Horry and Charleston Counties ... I guess it's because we need more Superintendents, Asst. Superintendents, and clerical workers at the district office to justify $100,000+ salaries -- despite many failing schools in those districts ... pretty sad!

Victory Starts Here!
B
brace
brace
B
It's worth looking at. Which has been my point, all along.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
To backscreen's point of schools losing money. The following stats are from the AP. Notice they are taking into account only schools WITH football and there are only 22 FBS schools in the entire country making money.

The median net surplus of the 22 moneymaking athletic departments was roughly $7.4 million, while the median net deficit for the other 98 FBS schools was $11.3 million.

The net operating results show FBS schools are losing nearly $9.5 million on average, compared with FCS schools that are losing slightly more than $9.1 million.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
brace
brace
B
College football makes money for TV, coaches and a handful of schools.
High school football makes money for coaches and uniform/equipment companies.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
The same discussion with many of the same posters from 2009

http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=111740&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I happen to agree with Backscreen17

J
Brace
Brace
J
Quote:

James you live out of state so your experience does not translate well to SC. Question in IL do Football coaches get fired and lose there job if they have a few losing seasons? How many people come to watch a HS football game in IL? How many Football coaches does you school have on staff? Football will not end but I think you will see club football in the near future. But we were talking about salary's. I was just shedding some light on how we are paid as teachers and coaches. When the amount of money and the difference in pay was brought up I simply again shared my experience.

I'll answer these one at a time:

1) Question in IL do Football coaches get fired and lose there job if they have a few losing seasons?

A: Yes, they will get fired if they do not produce a winning season/ or make the playoffs. This is dependant on schools though...some are strong, some are not in football. Just like in SC.

2) How many people come to watch a HS football game in IL?

A: Again, depends on the school....a 1A school might only have 200-300 people there watching, where a 7A school might have thousands. In the area where I live, Boylan might have 1500 to 2000 people watching a game (6A School), Winnebago might have 750 to 1000 (3A school). Again, depends on the school, just like in SC.

3) How many Football coaches does you school have on staff?

A: Here are some specific examples
1) Boylan = 5 paid coaches (6A school)
2) Naperville North = 8 paid coaches (7A school)
3) Winneka New Trier = 9 paid coaches (8A school)
4) Winnebago = 6 paid coaches (3A school)

Football is a huge thing up here in IL too....don't think SC is any different than any other state. I will do some research and see how much the head coaches make...and get back to you.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
C
Brace
Brace
C
James, interesting facts, what is the enrollment of 6a,7a,8a schools?

J
Brace
Brace
J
Sorry, was in Chicago all weekend....or I would have gotten this to you sooner.

From the schools mentioned above....

1) Boylan = 1899 students (6A school)
2) Naperville North = 3141 students (7A school)
3) Winnetka New Trier = 4225 students (8A school)
4) Winnebago = 555 students (3A school)

Pay for head coaches:

1) Naperville North = $102,654 (7A school)
2) Winnetka New Trier = $141,724 (8A school)
3) Winnebago = couldn't find it....(3A school)

Hope that sheds some light on the subject.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Wow Naperville is about the size of Wando and at one time Summerville,Dorman in the upstare I think is also that size. All 4a schools here.
Winnetka is a huge school! Any idea what the base salary scale is for teachers? Seems like it may be a little more.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard