Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

I am glad that home school kids can play in Public schools, but then the HSL should be more concerned about possible recruiting. At least with a Home School team, you had a BETTER chance of the players all being from the same area.

The way I understand it, you have to play where you would play if you went to the public school. No recruiting possible, if it was possible I would have gone for the young lady that will bless the Chapman fields, just 10 miles away...

Since I am just a dad, I can do that...

Goal
Goal
The system is flawed, but this is true for most. It does have its shortcomings. By allowing home schooled kids to participate in H.S. sports, they kids can experience more. But also by having this option, the HSL seems to see Home School sports teams more as a head-ache when in fact they should see it as an opportunity to help the growth and development of students. I hope that all Home School athletic programs try to fight this and get a change made.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Perhaps someone else is seeing a "big picture" that I am not, but I can't see any harm to the League caused by allowing its members the OPTION to schedule games with home school teams that would outweigh the benefits provided to young people by their participation in competitive sports.

I would invite someone from the other side of the decision-making process to weigh in with the reasoning behind the ruling.

Is there anyone out there connected to the League who (A) pays attention to the soccer community through this message board and (B) is willing to share the justification behind the decision?

I've got good news and bad news...
J
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
J
That is correct, you can only tryout for the high school team that you are zoned for. You can't go across town and tryout for Irmo when you are zoned for Eau Claire. I'm sure at some point someone is going to try to get around this, but not to my knowledge yet.

Goal
Goal
When you have multiple instances where ineligible players participate in other sports and the only way they are caught is someone tells on them, then I have no doubt, that someone will try to get around it.

Brace
Brace
I know this sounds terrible and I don’t mean it to… But, I sometimes think the home-school community wants their cake and to eat it too. There are ramifications for our decisions. If you decide that our public schools do not meet your needs, then they don’t meet your needs. One should not be allowed, in my opinion, to cherry-pick what they like or don’t like about our public schools. When a family makes a choice, and it is a choice, to home-school, these are the ramifications. There are sacrifices we all make when we make important decisions. If this course were to continue, where would it end? Should a parent be allowed to send their child to the math teacher at the local high school but still home-school in other subjects? Do not misunderstand me. I am not against home-schooling. My niece home-schools. Her kids are awesome. I have a lot of respect for her and I love her kids, all 6 of them. I know home-school families pay taxes. And I also know that they benefit indirectly when the public at-large is educated, when the girl at the check-out can make correct change, for example. I also know that we all pay taxes for our police and fire protection. But, I don’t see us being allowed to drive the fire truck.
I apologize if that sounds raw. It is just one person's opinion and not intended to persuade or influence the decisions of others.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
C
Coach
Coach
C
From an athletic competition standpoint, it makes more sense from where I'm standing to allow home schools to have teams that compete under their own banner than to have schools athletically represented by players who are not a part of the schools they represent.

J
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
J
Quote:

I know this sounds terrible and I don’t mean it to… But, I sometimes think the home-school community wants their cake and to eat it too. There are ramifications for our decisions. If you decide that our public schools do not meet your needs, then they don’t meet your needs. One should not be allowed, in my opinion, to cherry-pick what they like or don’t like about our public schools. When a family makes a choice, and it is a choice, to home-school, these are the ramifications. There are sacrifices we all make when we make important decisions. If this course were to continue, where would it end? Should a parent be allowed to send their child to the math teacher at the local high school but still home-school in other subjects? Do not misunderstand me. I am not against home-schooling. My niece home-schools. Her kids are awesome. I have a lot of respect for her and I love her kids, all 6 of them. I know home-school families pay taxes. And I also know that they benefit indirectly when the public at-large is educated, when the girl at the check-out can make correct change, for example. I also know that we all pay taxes for our police and fire protection. But, I don’t see us being allowed to drive the fire truck.
I apologize if that sounds raw. It is just one person's opinion and not intended to persuade or influence the decisions of others.

I don't disagree with you, we all want the best of both worlds. You are right it is all about the choices we have made. Because I chose to home school I also chose to create the opportunity necessary for my kids to play high school sports along with the other home school parents who have given countless hours and money to make this happen for their kids. Don't get me wrong, I know so many public school parents who are as equally devoted to their kids and are involved in their education. We all chose the route that is best for our families and situations. As far as sending our kids to public school for certain subjects, you have to remember we have choosen to home school for certain reasons, most of which is to keep our kids out of the public school. Sorry if that is offensive, it is not the education that most concerns us but the environment (this is strictly my opinion). I know many public school teachers and respect their efforts and know we as a society could not do without them. But right now I have the ability to make the choice to keep my kids home. If my child needs extra help in a subject or I feel inadequate teaching something, I will find a tutor or local resource center that will meet the need and pay for it. This could open up a whole other discussion, however the point is we all make the choices that seem the most beneficial to our families and thank God we still live in a society where we are free to try to create better situations for ourselves if we are willing to work hard and devote our talents to obtain a desired goal.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Another possible positive benefit to allowing competition between home school teams and public school teams--perhaps it's good to give the home-schooled players an opportunity to interact with their public-school counterparts in an atmosphere of friendly competition and sportsmanship. It's healthy, I think, for young people to get to see the more positive sides of both environments.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

I agree. In my opinion, the Home Schoolers should not be allowed to play for the public schools.

That privilege should be reserved for the students and families who attend and support the schools.

If the school is not good enough for you, the athletics are not either.

And just wait till a Home Schooler takes a position on a roster that a regular student had or could have.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard