Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
J
I don't think you understood what was said, it is not about one being better than the other at all. It is about choice and doing what you feel is best for your kids. By the way, last time I checked my tax dollars do go to support your public schools so why shouldn't these kids be able to benefit from the extra curricular activities offered?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Sorry, but I disagree with you.

Wayne has the right idea. If you make the decision to Home School, good for you, but there are ramifications.

We do not need athletes who show up for practice and games and are not a part of the student body and it's environment.

It's all part of being a team. And the team represents the school.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I don't think you understood what was said, it is not about one being better than the other at all. It is about choice and doing what you feel is best for your kids. By the way, last time I checked my tax dollars do go to support your public schools so why shouldn't these kids be able to benefit from the extra curricular activities offered?

To be fair--that's a somewhat deceptive argument. While it's true that a percentage of everyone's tax dollars go to support public schools, schools receive ALLOCATIONS of those tax dollars based on actual ENROLLMENT. So a student who is not enrolled in the school would be using the school resources without bringing in the proportionate allocation that would accompany his/her enrollment.

I've got good news and bad news...
Brace
Brace
Quote:

You do pay taxes. And, you do benefit from public education, whether your kids attend public schools or not. To repeat, you also pay for the fire truck that you don't get to drive.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
C
Throw In
Throw In
C
My Grandmother paid taxes for years and did not drive.

Thank goodness we have roads so I could drive her to the store.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
PAC should be in a club league. Their name itself has club in it. They have no practice rules, no recruiting rules, no behavior rules and no way to punish a kid other than not letting them play for them. It is a liability risk for any school public or private to play such a club.

J
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
J
I don't want go this route... but I think if you gave money towards education, that money is taken and given to another district for other kids, and then you are asked to pay more money for your child's books and supplies you wouldn't be real happy about it? That is eccentially what home schoolers do. Again I have choosen this route and am not complaining, just stating a fact. I realize our taxes go towards many things that benefit everyone, but education is a big part of it and if you insist we benefit from the public education system then you will have to concur that you also benefit from those that home school and go to private schools.

I think with this we need to agree to disagree. Life is not fair, the law was passed, it is now up to you to work to over turn it if you don't like it, you have that freedom.
The fact of the matter is, only a fraction of home schoolers will actually attempt to try out and I'm sure the coaches will only select ones for teams that they are absolutely sure will benefit them. I don't believe spots will be taken from public school students and given to a homeschooler if they are at the same level.

If we get back to the original point of this thread, home school teams have been created and we want to be allowed to play in tournaments. We are not trying to infiltrate your public school teams, which from the sound of it some of you don't want home school kids on the team anyways. PAC parents and most of the players are happy with what we have to offer. But there are some who would be very proud to play for their local high school, they would represent what ever team well and be proud to do so. Believe it or not, this law doesn't benefit PAC or the other home school programs. We are feeling the affects by losing some players and having the privilege of being a part of tournaments taken away.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

It is a liability risk for any school public or private to play such a club.

How so?

Goal
Goal
If people decide to homeschool their children for whatever their reason, there are rules that they have to follow. It's not like they have no accountability.

Sure, they pay taxes, and the homeschoolers know this, and it is a decision they have made.

I pay taxes and my child attends a public school. That is my choice.

Some of the arguments are ridiculous saying that since the child doesn't attend the school, they shouldn't be allowed to compete in SCHSL sanctioned events and the reason is that we don't get to drive a police car? That is illogical. A child from 6 to 16 is required, by state law, to attend some sort of school. Not everyone is required by law, in all circumstances, to use the services of the police or fire department.

If you want all those sports and coaching supplements to go down the drain, please vote for the tax voucher where people can do whatever they want to with their money. You can kiss many sports programs bye-bye, because that is what will go first, not the educators' salaries.

Tim Tebow...his name ring a bell? yeah...home schooled kid. I am sure am glad that he wasn't able to compete in any HS sports sanctioned events.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Again, to be clear--I want young people to be able to play sports. I think it's great that PAC and others like them are organizing home school athletes into teams, and I think they should have opportunities to compete just like any other organized non-public school team.

I still have questions about the fairness of having students who are otherwise no part of a school representing that school in athletic competition. And as most of you know, I am a dealer in rhetorical arguments, so I can't resist digging into the argument itself, regardless of my opinion of the overall issue.

Let's accept, for the sake of analysis, the argument that has been made several times that home schooling is an academic placement choice, made by the parents for the educational and environmental benefit of the students, so it should not be used to deny the students the opportunities for athletic competition at their local public schools.

Therefore (as passed by law), parents who choose the alternative academic placement of home school should still, as taxpaying citizens, be able to send their children to play on athletic teams with the public school for which they are zoned since they would not have the opportunity to play their sport of choice otherwise.

Likewise, the decision to send a child to a private rather than a public school is an academic placement choice, made by the parents for the educational and environmental benefit of the students, so it should not be used to deny the students the opportunities for athletic competition at their local public schools if the private school of choice does not offer the athletic programs desired.

Therefore, parents who choose the alternative academic placement of private school should still, as taxpaying citizens, be able to send their children to play on athletic teams with the public school for which they are zoned since they would not have the opportunity to play their sport of choice otherwise.

No, wait...that's not allowed. Those parents made a decision to place their child in a private institution and therefore the students are limited by the offerings of the chosen institution.

Can someone explain the difference?

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard