Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Coach
Coach
C
Follow-up point to the previous:

By the same logic, private school teams, textile teams, alumni teams, college teams, and home school club teams are all non-member, non-public-school teams that do not have the same practice, recruiting, and seasonal rules as SCHSL teams. What is the difference between home school teams and the others listed that distinguishes why SCHSL teams are allowed to voluntarily compete against private school teams, textile teams, alumni teams, and college teams, but not home school teams?

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal
Goal
Well, from the standpoint of the law, no, there is no "right" for home schoolers to participate in public school anything unless the constitution for that state is amended. There are 10 states that are Equal Access states...we ain't one of them. In those states, home school students have to meet certain requirements in order to participate on the teams. The requirements are something along the lines of meeting the requirements of any other student, passing their core subjects, and be in compliance with the state home school laws.

BTW, I have never used the word "right" in any of my arguments, not that anyone has accused me of it, but just to make sure I get that on the table.

I really don't see the big deal with allowing them to compete as a separate team as long as they meet all the other requirements that any other team meet.

Again, what's the big deal?

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Hey Wayne, I want half my taxes back! These 'fine' schools you refer to cant even graduate 50% of those that enter 9th grade. I wave every time I drive past a fast food franchise!

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Hey Wayne, I want half my taxes back! These 'fine' schools you refer to cant even graduate 50% of those that enter 9th grade. I wave every time I drive past a fast food franchise!

cant??? Really??? You need to go school.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
RECCOS, RECCOS, RECCOS!! At least be factual!
Our state averages graduating 75% of students in 4 years. Students who take more than 4 years (which would include many Special Needs students, anyone who gets a GED, and any child who transfers to another school and graduates in 4 years)count against the report even if they graduate. I have nothing against private/home school, but look at the report card that give our great Charter schools a grade of a 70. Let the Home school kids play and then play in the SC private school tournaments. Everyone gets to play!!!

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Oh, you mean you wave because they have gone out and found a job to help pay their bills. Right? Because I am sure you are not implying that someone working at a fast food franchise should be looked down upon for any reason, right? Because I see people working at fast food franchises as someone who is going out to work hard to make money to pay their own bills. I am sure YOU would never want to discourage a contributing member of society who works at a job, to earn a paycheck. Regardless of whether or not they graduated high school, I am sure you are supportive of anyone who gets up, goes to work, and earns a paycheck. Because only a low-life, scumbag, sleaseball, would ever, ever, EVER make fun of people working hard at a fast food franchise, where they earn a paycheck to help pay their bills. Right?

You wouldn't know anyone who would do that, right?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Careful now, Reccos may go the way Harry, JAK, upstatesoccermon and 1fortheteam have, and stop posting on this board.

Goal
Goal
No matter how you look at it the there is going to be confusion somewhere. IMHO you have to look at it as this: yes a law was passed for Home School kids to participate in Public High School Athletics, but should they be forced to take advantage of it? For those who have benefited from Home School athletics and want to stay, should they be punished by taking what has helped them grow and develop away from them?

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Thanks for your concern bomber, but you don't have to worry about me .. I can take my punches!

Regardless, our education system is in trouble and has been for some time! Not sure anyone on this board could convince me otherwise.

HSS: You missed my point completely or perhaps I simply did a lousy job of illustrating it. What comes first? The education or the job?

CID: Fair enough. But I have a hang up regarding a certain school that pretends to be one of the best in the state and part of that is actually a result of finding a way of getting rid of the 'poor performing student'. Hence their roughly 50% grad rate.

Punch away.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Thanks for your concern bomber, but you don't have to worry about me .. I can take my punches!

Regardless, our education system is in trouble and has been for some time! Not sure anyone on this board could convince me otherwise.

HSS: You missed my point completely or perhaps I simply did a lousy job of illustrating it. What comes first? The education or the job?

CID: Fair enough. But I have a hang up regarding a certain school that pretends to be one of the best in the state and part of that is actually a result of finding a way of getting rid of the 'poor performing student'. Hence their roughly 50% grad rate.

Punch away.

I'll agree that our education system is in need of repair, but at the same time it is also a social issue. The last thing this board needs is a political discussion on how to better serve those students who fall through the cracks.

I will say this, I felt your original post was very derogatory toward employees in the fast food industry. And there are a lot of them. It is sad when some kids drop out of school. Heck, my children have seen kids who were in their classes show up on the evening news. I don't believe in making fun of them, I just feel a sense of sadness.

I got your point, we all did. Your illustration was lousy, but only because it showed your true colors. You may not have liked it that I called you out on your callous and condescending tone, or you may have been embarrassed. (I would hope the latter, it would show that somewhere inside of you is empathy.) But it was pretty rude to put down a whole group of people for where they work. Especially coming off an election where class warfare was front and center in the national debates. I agree that education is more important - for us. But for some families, who don't have the income you or I or others on this board have, that fast food job that some 16 year old drop-out is working at may be the ONLY thing keeping a roof over his family's head. That is sad when you think about it, and should not be made fun of.

BTW, how many of you have had a player on your team that had to quit HS soccer because he had to go out and get a job at a fast food place to help support his family? His parents were still married, still at home, but his father got laid off during the recession, and the family needed every penny they could get, so the teens went out and got jobs and gave up their sports.

Do you REALLY want to keep waving at those kids with that smug grin on your face?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard