Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup

Brace
Brace
Surely someone is smart enough to compare what we do in SC to what other states (with reputable leaues) are doing... I don't know of many problems that were solved by simply turning things over to a government agency. I am not sure what I want. But I am pretty sure I know what I don't want; the legilature taking over, the association of school administrators taking over.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
What needs to happen is to allow each sport's coaching association make decisions on things, then have the association approve it; i.e. changing location for the state final for what is in the best interest of the players, getting a waiver from the all white home jersey rule, allowing ties in regular season games, restructuring the playoffs and regions, etc. The football people in Columbia are talking about going to 5 divisions for football ONLY. They are not looking out for soccer's best interest, but the soccer coaches would.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

What needs to happen is to allow each sport's coaching association make decisions on things, then have the association approve it; i.e. changing location for the state final for what is in the best interest of the players, getting a waiver from the all white home jersey rule, allowing ties in regular season games, restructuring the playoffs and regions, etc. The football people in Columbia are talking about going to 5 divisions for football ONLY. They are not looking out for soccer's best interest, but the soccer coaches would.

Totally agree!

B
brace
brace
B
The fact is, the SCHSL shouldn't be looking out for any individual sport's "best interests," but rather, what's best for student-athletes.
THAT'S the mandate.
Whatever actions you take should assure and enhance:

1) Player (and spectator) safety.
2) Player participation (opportunity).
3) A REASONABLY level playing field.
4) Emphasis on the concept of student-athlete.
5) The quality and credentials of teacher/coaches.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Quote:

Totally agree!

The way the league works today, it is mostly football coaches or ex football coaches making decisions. They really do not understand nor care to understand soccer. It would be great for them to have the foresight to allow the coaches associations some say in their own sports.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
The problem is, the SCHSL is looking out for only 1 sport, football. Going to 5 division in only football, having 8 team regions (that doesn't affect football), have 3 games a week in a tournament, no ties, etc. Let each sport group vote on rules changes for that sport and then have it approved by the SCHSL. Each sport is different and needs the people involved making decisions.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Brace
Brace
Quote:

I disagree. I know SCHSSCA has enough on its plate.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Still, even if the SCHSSCA has enough on their plate, do you enjoy having the state finals on a sub-par field at a sub-par facility instead of at USC??? Do you like OT and shootouts in regular season games? Do you think it is fair that only 4 teams will get into the playoffs from an 8 team region while 3 get in from a 5 team region (50% to 60%)??? Do you think that the home team should wear ALL white with no color stripes or piping? This is what the SCHLS gives soccer, is that good enough???

Brace
Brace
Quote:

Still, even if the SCHSSCA has enough on their plate, do you enjoy having the state finals on a sub-par field at a sub-par facility instead of at USC??? Do you like OT and shootouts in regular season games? Do you think it is fair that only 4 teams will get into the playoffs from an 8 team region while 3 get in from a 5 team region (50% to 60%)??? Do you think that the home team should wear ALL white with no color stripes or piping? This is what the SCHLS gives soccer, is that good enough???

Spot on. So much of the SCHSL's position on issues is absurd. The state finals is one that has irked me for years. The "all white" jersey just typifies their pettiness.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard