Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
brace
brace
B
Not a big fan of the current SCHSL state championship venue. But as long as we're riffing on venues, how about insisting that member schools play on fields of certain MINIMAL dimensions, with certain minimal turf quality?
Don't see any 87-yard football fields, or 72-foot basketball courts.
To me, the SCHSL is not a "soccer" issue, perse, but rather an "all-sports governance" issue, with appropriate representation of all interests -- INCLUDING PARENTS AND STUDENT-ATHLETES.

Brace
Brace
Quote:

Still, even if the SCHSSCA has enough on their plate, do you enjoy having the state finals on a sub-par field at a sub-par facility instead of at USC??? Do you like OT and shootouts in regular season games? Do you think it is fair that only 4 teams will get into the playoffs from an 8 team region while 3 get in from a 5 team region (50% to 60%)??? Do you think that the home team should wear ALL white with no color stripes or piping? This is what the SCHLS gives soccer, is that good enough???

I would play for a state championship in a parking lot and be happy to be there. I think too many teams get in the playoffs. The uniform rule is from NF, not SC. I hear a lot of whining and few solutions that make any sense. Great people talk about great ideas. Small people offer little but complaints.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

I would play for a state championship in a parking lot and be happy to be there. I think too many teams get in the playoffs. The uniform rule is from NF, not SC. I hear a lot of whining and few solutions that make any sense. Great people talk about great ideas. Small people offer little but complaints.

I think the problem is that sometimes proposals have been made but get nowhere once presented to the League. I agree that there are too many teams in the playoffs - I'd like to see region champs and runners-up along with two at-large (8 total in upper and 8 in lower). In fact, I believe this is being discussed by football coaches at present.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Easy to say that too many teams make the playoffs, but I'm not so sure I agree. Sure, there are some teams who make it in by virtue of an easy region who don't stand a chance of competing, but then there are also those fourth-seed teams that step up and beat a neighboring first-seed team in the first round. There are the late-bloomers who suffer from early-season losses but pull it together to form competitive sides late in the season--too late to take the 1 or 2 spot in the region, but not too late to be competitive in the playoffs. I've always been a strong believer in "It's not how you start, it's how you finish." I say give 'em a chance to play--at the worst, it's a chance at revenue. If a team gets blown out in the first round because they weren't prepared, that's part of the game, but if the fourth-seed team you would otherwise have excluded can step up and compete at season's end, why take away that chance?

I've got good news and bad news...
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Not complaining stating facts. Seems to me that other championships are played at colleges (Clemson, USC,) why not soccer when USC wants to host. Thought I read that a petition was taken to the SCHSL to ask out of the white jersey and the SCHSL rejected the waiver not the NFHS. Let everyone in the tournament. Especially since the regions are clearly unbalanced. I would find it hard to argue that a lower seed (4 even 5) from the Greenville area is not as strong as a team from almost any other area (3 maybe even 2 seeds). Why limit teams from entering the playoff? You would never have had Hoosiers (aka Milan HS). I agree with Chass, even if you just do it for extra $.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
I
goal
goal
I
Hey a fifth seed beat a one seed last year.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
And there ya go. Many a team has dug themselves a hole in the beginning of the season before things started to click, only to pull it together and become highly competitive by the time playoffs roll around. Teams should have a chance to be rewarded for progress they make throughout the season, not just for who shows up ready to play right out of the box in week one.

I've got good news and bad news...
Kickoff
Kickoff
SCHSL proposal gets mixed reaction from area coaches
Anderson Independent-Mail

"If we're going to have five team regions that means we're going to have four games that are going to be important," Coach Jeff Tate of Wren said. "The other seven, in all honesty, will be meaningless except for preparing for games in your region. If you can win three or four games you're going to be in the playoffs. Some will say it gives you a chance and some will say that doesn't show your body of work for a whole season."

B-HP coach and athletic director Russell Blackston agrees in principle with the proposal and said it should encompass all sports. "The part that has to be done for our high school sports team is it needs to be all sports, just not football," Blackston said. "If it's football only, I'll be against it if that's the case. If it's all sports, I'll support it because that's the way high school is supposed to be."

Brace
Brace
I would suggest that the executive committee should expand to include one head coach from each sport. That rep should be elected by that sports auxilliary membership. Every member of the committee would have an equal vote. Currently there is too much power in the hands of too few people. This would water down the apparent near-sighted effects of major sports and administrators.

Last edited by Wayne; 12/18/12 02:30 PM.
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

I would suggest that the executive committee should expand to include one head coach from each sport. That rep should be elected by that sports auxilliary membership. Every member of the committee would have an equal vote. Currently there is too much power in the hands of too few people. This would water down the apparent near-sighted effects of major sports and administrators.

I agree completely!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard