Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
brace
brace
B
Import: Hey, I'm not disagreeing. Just saying that, if you look at the numbers, you can see why some coaches recruit elsewhere. I'd also say that many of our SC products are going out-of-state or not playing at all. After various forms of attrition, the 30X4 you cite may well be more like 15X4, in which case you arrive at where we are now.
To bottom-line it: I ASSUME that all college coaches are "in it to win it." They're doing what they think they should to win.
From the current and recent Academy crops, I see multiples at USC, CofC, Wofford, etc. That doesn't leave a ton for the rest.

Brace
Brace
Coach DeLong, valid comments. My counterpoint is that SC college coaches can use the LIFE/HOPE money a player might qualify for if instate player which would minimize their use of scholarships and still give the player a very good incentive to stay instate.

Backscreen: Question to ask is why are the players going out-of-state? And I not going to address the Academy comment as that might be a good discussion on its own, once again.

Goal
Goal
I would love to see the best players from this state, stay in state, except in football because I'm a Georgia fan.

I don't know how much of the problem is coaches just not recruiting in-state kids or in-state kids wanting to leave and go elsewhere.

Going out of state might be considered more "prestigious" (that might be the right word). It's been a while since a school from SC has made any noise on the college level.

B
brace
brace
B
Better offers?
You're Cole Seiler. You have a shot at a great school like Georgetown. Where are you going? We have "state" kids at UNC, UCF, Marshall, etc. ... a bunch of places.
The fact is, there are many great programs out there, and not all in SC. If a kid chooses Memphis, or Pitt, or Charlotte, or wherever, who am I too tell him not to go?
This is not to say that several schools in our state seemingly "ignore" state kids, or over-recruit foreign kids. Several have foreign-born coaches, or may not be that appealing to "our" kids.

B
brace
brace
B
Prestigious. Nice euphemism, Coach Al.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
I have been a part of college soccer as a player and coach. Here is the question you need to think about. College soccer is the highest level of play in American terms for an American player. This will be the highest a player will go, for the majority at least, few will see the likes of getting drafted by an MLS team or USL team, so college soccer is the pinnacle. We now have a 10 month academy which is good for the country as far as improving our level of play and getting kids more opportunities to be seen by college coaches.

So if college soccer is the pinnacle of most american soccer players why are these college coaches looking overseas??? They are killing the game in America! Why is the woman's national team so good? Why do they always win? The woman's game in college is dominated by American players! They breed their own success, the woman's college teams are successful with American woman, and the national team is successful with picking these American woman college players.

I think it's great to give people opportunities to come to our country and get an education and play college sports, but if the game is going to grow college soccer needs to be dominated by American players. You don't see our Academy team looking overseas and recruiting foreign players, no, they look within the state and get American players; just like all other academies. They take these American players and develop them to compete against other American players = good for American soccer!

Yes the majority of Academy players think D1 or bust, and a lot do get picked up by the major in-state universities, which is great for them. There is also some good talent left in the academy and at the Elite levels in SC. This is where it also comes down to the club coaches to think about "development" vs. "trophies" approach. If the ultimate goal for our players is to play in college, no matter what level, we need to develop them and give them the best opportunity possible to do so! On top of that the college coaches need to focus on playing good soccer and developing their players in every aspect possible as well. This way you remove gaps in talent in recruiting class ability levels and build a well rounded program.

The answer is simple, if we want to grow the sport and create better soccer players, college teams, pro-teams, and national team pools, we need to focus on our American players!

Clark McCarthy
University of South Carolina
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach
corner kick
corner kick
Many of these Coaches are from England, a lot of long ball played.

College soccer is a waste of time for somebody that is serious about going pro, a 3 months season...

SC just doesnt have much going on for soccer, other than Enzo and Velasquez, very few kids get to play at a really high level on this state. Pay-to-play system.

The reason why we suck its bc the second and third division in America have about 4 months season.

In nations that dominate in soccer, kids are going pro at 16 straight out of their academies, the less developed players; older than 18 go to play second division, their second divisions are greats and they can make a living out of it, Mexico for example, a second division player makes great money.

Until the second and third division in America are strong and play all year round like it happens in every country, we will suck.

Club of the century.
J
Brace
Brace
J
The reason that the US isn't as good in soccer as the rest of the world, is because we have so many sports to choose from. Since there are so many choices, the best athletes are going to play for a different sport. If all of our best athletes were going to play soccer, we would dominate. But that just isn't the case here. Soccer takes a backseat to so many sports that I just don't see us getting much better in soccer in my lifetime.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

Many of these Coaches are from England, a lot of long ball played.

SC just doesnt have much going on for soccer, other than Enzo and Velasquez.

Oh the irony...

B
brace
brace
B
You having a moment, coach?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard