Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I always have 'a moment' when Alma posts!

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

We always have exceptions just like thinking all latino players are dribbling machines.

For the most part, the English mentality is "we dont do tiki taka" and that involves the American soccer mentality too. It is changing now because they are seeing the dominance of teams like Barcelona and its "tiki taka."

Last edited by Alma Merengue; 04/15/13 05:01 PM.

Club of the century.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

The reason that the US isn't as good in soccer as the rest of the world, is because we have so many sports to choose from. Since there are so many choices, the best athletes are going to play for a different sport. If all of our best athletes were going to play soccer, we would dominate. But that just isn't the case here. Soccer takes a backseat to so many sports that I just don't see us getting much better in soccer in my lifetime.

completely false, Spain is 2nd in the world in basketball and always produce great tennis players.

Its the second and third division in America that need to be stronger, till then we will get embarrassed every 4 years.

The college game just isnt enough, like I said, our best talent are going to waste 4 years of their soccer careers on a 3 months seasons, while players like Fabregas and Messi are already dominating the pros at 18.

My good friend Luis Silva had offers to go to the Mexican first division since he was a junior in High School, yes, decided to go waste 4 years of his life at Santa Barbara, now he is doing ok at Toronto, he would have been much more dominant if he went pro right after high school.

Club of the century.
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

Quote:

We always have exceptions just like thinking all latino players are dribbling machines.

For the most part, the English mentality is "we dont do tiki taka" and that involves the American soccer mentality too. It is changing now because they are seeing the dominance of teams like Barcelona and its "tiki taka."

Alma,

First of all my post was in response to your post that (and i am paraphrasing here) Seba and Enzo were the only good players produced from SC, and the Irony in your comment that English coaches in America are long ball merchants. The irony being that Seba was coached by Andrew, Pearse and myself, and Enzo by myself, Phil Hindson and John Stewart. All from the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

Secondly, the talent in SC has always been underestimated, I have for years coached against the top players and teams from all over the south east and have found no reason to categorize our players here in SC as nothing other than on a par with the elite teams and players from other states/areas. I think we give our kids here a bad rap, they are superb players and can, have and are showing great success at the next level.

Thirdly, i cannot comment on coaching in England as I have been here my whole coaching carrer, but I know numerous college and club coaches from the UK and Ireland and have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that these coaches here are 'long ball' coaches. I find that quite insulting that you are taking a 'lazy' sterotype and using it as fact.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alma,

First of all my post was in response to your post that (and i am paraphrasing here) Seba and Enzo were the only good players produced from SC, and the Irony in your comment that English coaches in America are long ball merchants. The irony being that Seba was coached by Andrew, Pearse and myself, and Enzo by myself, Phil Hindson and John Stewart. All from the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

Secondly, the talent in SC has always been underestimated, I have for years coached against the top players and teams from all over the south east and have found no reason to categorize our players here in SC as nothing other than on a par with the elite teams and players from other states/areas. I think we give our kids here a bad rap, they are superb players and can, have and are showing great success at the next level.

Thirdly, i cannot comment on coaching in England as I have been here my whole coaching carrer, but I know numerous college and club coaches from the UK and Ireland and have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that these coaches here are 'long ball' coaches. I find that quite insulting that you are taking a 'lazy' sterotype and using it as fact.

That is great that you coached Enzo, and I am sure he learned a lot from you tactically, most Latin Americans learn most of their skills playing with friends and family in front of the house or in the backyard and I said that because of my own experiences, one of my uncles played pro, he lives in Los Angeles now.

You have some great talent in SC and then what? They have to compete with foreigners from Europe or elite players from Texas, California or Maryland, that's no an easy thing to do. To me, it will be great if they have other options other than just having to play in state colleges for 3 months. Maybe if the the season of the Charleston Battery, Charlotte or Atlanta were longer, they had real options... I know many talented kids from SC that dont have the grades or mess up in school and then what? Another wasted talent... that has nowhere to go, an MLS team is not gone pick them up at that level.

As a Latin American, I still dont find English Premier League "attractive," to watch, it is getting better lately, a few years ago, it was all long ball side to side. the Bundesliga can be "attractive" sometime producing players such as Ozzil... but for the most part, is just bunch of dudes out-muscling and wrestling each other for the long ball, painful to watch for most of us.

No disrespect to you coach, just giving my insight on the game I love, in fact, I have seen your teams playing and they are always fun to watch.

Club of the century.
B
brace
brace
B
I'm thinking about all these long-balling BPL sides ...
Liverpool with Rogers?
Swansea with Laudrup?
Sure, West Ham (Allardyce) and Stoke (Pulis) seem to prefer a physical, "unattractive" style. But those are (at best) mid-table sides, with limited resources and a pragmatic desire to "stay up."
As opposed to West Ham under Zola/Grant, or Blackpool during its brief stay up. Pretty football. Relegated.
From the top ...
Man U can do either.
Man City's attacking force is loaded with Spaniards and South Americans.
Arsenal? Some would say TOO pretty.
Tottenham (Villas Boas) can do either.
I guess Everton (Moyes) is more "pragmatic."
My point is, winning sides play the style that suits them. South Carolina isn't Barcelona.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
No disrespect taken at all, glad to engage in banter.Just had some issue with you stereotyping of all English coaches as 'long ball merchants'.

Football at the level your talking about (pro european leagues) is all about results, sure youd like to play attractive football but i really doubt wether Bayern and Dortmund fans care how they play (and they play some bloody good stuff by the way, not the way you described it at all!!), just like i bet Milan, Inter, Juve, PSG wish they were in the semi finals.

Barca (and what a team they are) are the only team that can play like Barca, and even they have shown weak areas that can be exploited, if they win it, they deserve it, if they dont, they didnt.

The latin discussion is probably a different thread, i have so much respect for the latin community and the soccer philosophy of latin countries, at the NSCAA convention, the mexican youth national team director did a fantastic presentation and showed certinaly that the success they have in international football at all ages is no fluke, and look at honduras u-17 as the most recent highlight of superb latin players/teams. I just know and recognize there is more than one way to 'skin a cat' as the the old saying goes, none better than the other, just whichever one works best for teams

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

No disrespect taken at all, glad to engage in banter.Just had some issue with you stereotyping of all English coaches as 'long ball merchants'.

Football at the level your talking about (pro european leagues) is all about results, sure youd like to play attractive football but i really doubt wether Bayern and Dortmund fans care how they play (and they play some bloody good stuff by the way, not the way you described it at all!!), just like i bet Milan, Inter, Juve, PSG wish they were in the semi finals.

Barca (and what a team they are) are the only team that can play like Barca, and even they have shown weak areas that can be exploited, if they win it, they deserve it, if they dont, they didnt.

The latin discussion is probably a different thread, i have so much respect for the latin community and the soccer philosophy of latin countries, at the NSCAA convention, the mexican youth national team director did a fantastic presentation and showed certinaly that the success they have in international football at all ages is no fluke, and look at honduras u-17 as the most recent highlight of superb latin players/teams. I just know and recognize there is more than one way to 'skin a cat' as the the old saying goes, none better than the other, just whichever one works best for teams

Johan Cruyff whos prob the best European player ever went to Spain and became prob the cockiest soccer player ever, he talked more trash than Maradona did. Could you imagine if he went o play to Brazil?

He went back to Holland and made sure indoor soccer facilities were constructed in different pupblic-parks all over his country. The result... Ban Vasten, Gullit, Robben, Seedorf, Berkam...

The U20 Did at great job againts Mexico at Mexico in front of 100,000 fans, yeah most of the U20 players were Mexican-Americans. Im not saying "latinos" are better, but latinos in the usa breath soccer, something you hardly see in other communties like the asian community for example.

Honduras u20 beat Spain and had Brazil on a knock out stage in the Olympics, if you actually saw the game, Honduras were winning, they got a pk againts them, then a red card.

Mexico is the Olympic Champ, u17 world champ.

The Germans of Klissmann were amazing, I watched that world cup, Germany was my favorite team back then, I dont remember then depending on set pieces.

I played for a coach who used to coach in EPL, he hated me. Our training consisted on working on set pieces, "second phase" balls (rebounds) and "direct" passes, prob the worse thing that can happen to a Latino player but I must say, I did learn a lot from him, he was very professional, just not an enthusiastic of "tiki taka" as I am.

At the end of the day, the best teams in the history of the game.

1. Madrid of Di Stefano
2. Holland and "Football total"
3. Brazil of Pele
4. Brazil of Romario, Brazil of Fat Ronaldo
5. Milan of Baressi
6. Juventus and Madrid of Zidane
7. Barca of Xavi and Ronaldiho

Most of them played some sort of "possesion" game.

I will say the Germany of klissman prob played a little more "direct"

The ManU of Beckam depended of crosses, who knows how they won the champions league...

Im not sure about the Germany of Beckenbauer.

The AC Milan of Baressi didnt play the "tiki taka" of Barcelona, but nowhere near "direct" style, they were very dominant too.

To finish up, elite talent in SC need better options than going to play 3 months in college or 4 months in usl.

Again, I apoligize if I offended anybody, it was no my intention. Just giving my insight as an outsider.

Club of the century.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I'm thinking about all these long-balling BPL sides ...
Liverpool with Rogers?
Swansea with Laudrup?
Sure, West Ham (Allardyce) and Stoke (Pulis) seem to prefer a physical, "unattractive" style. But those are (at best) mid-table sides, with limited resources and a pragmatic desire to "stay up."
As opposed to West Ham under Zola/Grant, or Blackpool during its brief stay up. Pretty football. Relegated.
From the top ...
Man U can do either.
Man City's attacking force is loaded with Spaniards and South Americans.
Arsenal? Some would say TOO pretty.
Tottenham (Villas Boas) can do either.
I guess Everton (Moyes) is more "pragmatic."
My point is, winning sides play the style that suits them. South Carolina isn't Barcelona.

Arsenal is ok
Chelsea is getting better
ManU depends on set pieces, always have.
City is is trying to implement a great style, no there yet.

Maybe one day I will get into epl.

Club of the century.
B
brace
brace
B
I'm into all of it, because just like virtually every other sport, soccer offers multiple ways to skin the cat. No one way is uniformly "right" or "wrong."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard