Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Teams CESA U17 have played:

CSA 1st team. Ranked 1st in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by gotsoccer. Haven't played in 2 years. CESA has a 3-2 loss and 1-1 draw.
CASL 1st team. Ranked 2nd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Not ranked in USYSA by got soccer. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE champions, NC State Cup champions, regional semifinalists. CESA has 3-0 loss
VSI 1st team. Ranked 3rd in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA as West FL Premier, regional quarterfinalists, FL state champion. CESA has two 1-1 draws.
Atlanta Fire 1st team. Ranked 4th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, R3PLE 2nd place, GA state champions, regional quarterfinalists. CESA has 2-0 loss and 1-0 win.
BUSA 1st team. Ranked 7th in ECNL Southeast Conference. Last time they played USYSA, AL state champion, regional quarterfinalist. CESA has 3-1 win and 0-0 draw.

Is that what you were looking for?

All this according to the ECNL website.

As pointed out by the ECNL-only teams like Slammers (#4 Gotsoccer, ECNL Group A National Champ), Gotsoccer isn't a USYSA-only ranking. ECNL events are ranked events by Gotsoccer, but those teams you've listed have no ECNL results of note yet posted at Gotsoccer (sort of). And any of those teams' results from USYSA or tournaments over 12 months old, well those points have fallen out the back end.

Way up there somewhere you kind of dissed Gotsoccer with "That gotsoccer sure is on the ball." Well, for Match Fit it seems to be. Three seperate teams, probably always been that way, not a lot of confusion. Not like the dual roster, same name, different name, slight of hand straddling the USYSA/ECNL fence that CSA, CASL, CESA, etc. went through. Which brings us to your second misunderstanding of ranking services... your part, or your team managers' parts, or someone from the club's part in ensuring the information reported/provided to the ranking services is accurate. That includes sorting out the name changes with them. You've apparently never read the section on the team's page about "Reporting Mistakes or Missing Data". And the reason CESA u17 ECNL doesn't show up in the Gotsoccer rankings is probably because all its ECNL points are still posted with the Premier team (the team that just finished R3PLE) leaving the ECNL team with nothing to record and unknown. Contacting Gotsoccer to clarify isn't difficult.

"Gotsoccer" isn't the only ranking service out there. Another one is "SoccerInCollege", and there, too, CESA does have a bit of a mess in U-17, because it has dual registrations for its Premier team. The u-17 "CESA 95 Premier" (#1 in SC) is coached by Flemming and just lost all its games in R3PLE. The u-17 "CESA 95 Premier Girls" (#4 in SC) is coached by Hartmann with scores from two tournaments only listed. SoccerInCollege has no "CESA 95 ECNL" team listed. CESA is represented at SoccerInCollege just as at Gotsoccer, but the club doesn't seem to be, how should I put it... managing its brand very effectively?

If all you're doing is arguing who's got the best team based on a ranking, who cares. But in one regard, I believe the rankings do have some influence on recruiting. They affect tournament seedings, and it's been suggested on this site that college coaches are attracted by major events and may spend more time checking out teams in higher brackets than say maybe the tenth bracket down. Now, that might not matter to CESA if results aren't accurately reported/recorded if the only events its teams enter are ECNL events.

So much for rankings.

I agree with you that CESA has players (along with others in SC) that could/should be capable of getting offers earlier in the process. I think requiring early decisions is really tough on the kids, they have to make big decisions before they probably have any idea what they really want to study in college. However, the significance I place on whether or not the players have offers at this point doesn't mean I think there are no offers left to be had. There are definately colleges out there that haven't made any offers at this point. But, if a player is on a u-17 team at this time of year without an offer from a school that has players in the class already committed, then the player is either waiting on another player to make a decision to decline an offer before an offer can be made to her, or waiting on a returning college player to leave the team and free up more money. My opinion. I wouldn't drive the kids to ulcers with stress at 17 years old, but if I was sitting waiting and not already actively contacting colleges I'd start.

You jokingly responded to HH's first post... "They [CSA] should panic!" Maybe not, but 3 weeks after they and two other u-17 ECNL teams return from Texas those teams (including CSA) will be back in front of the coaches at Jefferson Cup (#9 ranked tournament at Gotsoccer... #11 is Disney).

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
"Came back to cesa because the coach called and offered a spot even thought she hadnt tried out. Even before try outs."

Quote from Hardheaded on 1/20/2013

And CESA wonders why some people get irritated with them.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Apparently the u-17 CSA ECNL team is not only playing ECNL event in Feb and Jefferson Cup in March it is also listed as applied for Southern Soccer Showcase in April along with... the team HH's daughter plays on. Maybe CESA can attend that April event? Y'all could get together and work it out...

(CSA is taking ECNL and USYSA teams to SSS in the u16 group. SSS is #112 ranked tournament at Gotsoccer.)

H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
Im good. No need for me to get together with him/her. How would i find reebok anyways. Seems to of vanished as fast as Harry does

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Funny how when the Harrys, the Reeboks and the upstatesoccermoms of the world get backed into a corner, they disappear.

H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
Reebok, maybe you will show back up to answer this question since you are cesa's defender. If ecnl is the place to be for college coach exsposure, what is being done to get players from the premier and challenge teams college coach exsposure?

B
brace
brace
B
Geez guys, the whole "college coach exposure" stuff is WAY overblown. Everybody KNOWS who the players are. They show up at events just to confirm their interest and what they already believe.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Not trying to argue against that, but if the coaches attend events only to confirm existing interest in already known players... how did the players become known in the first place? I think that may be the core question at the heart of the debate.

B
brace
brace
B
Many college coaches cultivate and enjoy club, country or high school connections/pipelines. For instance, ambitious (smart) club and high school coaches actively promote and make calls on behalf of their top kids. There is also an exceedingly active grapevine; i.e., what do you think college assistant coaches talk about?
This is NOT to say that coaches don't randomly stumble over kids. But that generally happens because they're at a match specifically to watch another kid.
In soccer, because most recruiting budgets are limited, kids do most of the heavy lifting, in terms of initial contacts and selling themselves. If you're worried about where your kid should play, select the best training environment that also offers reasonably elite competition (i.e., not high school).
The college coaches know which clubs do the best job in those areas.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Agreed on the networking, I've even known coaches while at ODP region camp to get calls from other coaches looking for recommendations. And I agree most, if not all, coaches at tournaments start with an itinerary based on specific players, although I can also say my own kids got letters from coaches at tournaments that neither my kids nor the club contacted.

So, would you say you believe the recruiting process is less influenced (the exposure question) by the league or tournament venues that the players play and more influenced by the college contacts initiated by the players as well as by the club on the players' behalf? There is also that part of your response "on behalf of their top kids." Going back to HH's last question to CESA, should members of CESA premier teams expect same level of support and promotion by the club as those players the club might consider "top level", or should those players not only expect to do the heavy lifting but actually all the lifting? Understood that colleges contacted by the club may differ based on expectations of players' abilities to compete at the various collegiate levels.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard