Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

B
brace
brace
B
Pretty nasty piece on dissension in the ranks on AOL today. I'm hopeful we'll get results. But some of the stuff sounded bad.

B
brace
brace
B
Check Sporting News Soccer.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup

Brace
Brace
I have a bad feeling about this...Since when is bad press good for a team? This is an example of a foriegn coach who does not understand the American sporting scene. Has he not read about the NY Jets? Our guys don't thrive on turmoil and constant changes with the apparent aim only to stir the pot.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
B
brace
brace
B
I somewhat agree. That said, our guys need to shut up and play (the multiple malcontents). Or grow up and play (Donovan). Or just stop saying anything (Lalas).
As I say to mine: In or out?

A
Goal
Goal
A
Without a doubt, a great international player, as well as with Spurs, but is there a red flag flying when your own country does not pursue you with a serious contract after an impressive World Cup showing on home soil? Booking.Yeah!

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Saturday, March 23, 2013

Paul Gardner's Soccer Talk is a benefit for Soccer America members.

And elsewhere, some real soccer, on green grass ...

For those of you who stumbled into the mess that was the USA-Costa Rica World Cup qualifier, let me assure you that the sport of soccer still lives, in something like its intended form. Elsewhere, on other TV channels on Friday, there were real games to be watched.

In particular, there were several South American World Cup qualifiers featuring green grass, with recognizable lines on it, a ball that could be distinguished from its background, and plenty of players who knew what to do with it.

Nice stuff from Argentina in its 3-0 win over Venezuela. Lionel Messi in action, not quite the spectacular Messi of Barcelona, but very much involved in Argentina’s goals. Also the recipient of plenty of rough tackling and body-blocking from Venezuelan defenders. But there were two delicious assists to savor -- Gonzalo Higuain turned both of them into goals (though he was offside on the second) with perfect finishing touches. Messi scored himself from the penalty spot, it all looked pretty straightforward for Argentina. But it will have to face tougher opponents than Venezuela.

Colombia slammed five goals past Bolivia for which it was the same old story -- neat soccer, but no goals and a heavy loss. No problem scoring for Colombia -- five splendid goals from five different players. And another offside goal here -- the crucial first goal, from Macnelly Torres, on which Juan Cuadrado was so clearly offside. But this was Colombia playing at home in Baranquilla, so maybe -- just like Argentina in Buenos Aires -- a few calls like that are to be expected.

Later, Colombia’s coach Jose Pekerman (an Argentine) remarked that it was sometimes hard for his team “to keep up the rhythm,” an interesting comment, for one always suspects a fatal fragility to surface in this dynamic Colombian team whenever its high speed play seems to outstrip the players’ ability.

Uruguay and Paraguay, traditionally the two most defensively conscious South American teams gave us what was to be expected -- a 0-0 tie for 80 minutes -- though it was 80 minutes with plenty of activity and chances. Then Luis Suarez struck a sweet volley for Uruguay for a lead that lasted all of four minutes before Paraguay’s Edgar Benitez pounced on a loose ball in the Uruguayan defense (a rarity, that) and tied it up. A game with a twist in its tail then, though for me it ended with a shock when the standings flashed on the TV screen -- and there was Paraguay, dead last. Just a couple of years back, Paraguay, playing excellent soccer, was a quarterfinalist at the South Africa World Cup.

Late dramatics, too, in Lima, with an 88th-minute goal for Peru from Jefferson Farfan, who did it all himself. His first, unconvincing, shot was stopped by Chilean goalkeeper Claudio Bravo -- stopped but not held. The ball bobbled loose and Farfan reacted quickest, spinning around to get off a shot -- and this one was totally convincing, hard and straight into the net from six yards.

Closer to home, and later at night, you could have watched Jamaica taking on Panama. An early (23rd minute) lead for Jamaica came from an absolutely text-book classic corner kick play: over came the ball from Demar Phillips, and there was the big defender Marvin Elliott, sent forward to do just this -- to jump higher than everyone else and to neatly nod the ball home from the edge of the six-yard box. Panamanian goalkeeper Luis Mejia barely moved as the ball sailed into the net. Truth be told, Mejia had little to do in this game anyway, and it was fitting that Panama tied the score some 40 minutes later with a low, long-range, left-footed shot from Luis Henriquez.

I’ll admit to missing the Honduras-Mexico game -- this was one I especially wanted to watch, but something went wrong with my meticulous taping arrangements.

Finally, then to Denver and the blizzard and a game that should never have been started, never mind played for a full treacherous 90 minutes. So, just a few words on that encounter. Here they are:

Embarrassing. Shameful. Fraudulent. Ridiculous. Scandalous. Pathetic. Dangerous. Absurd. Outrageous. Forgettable. Brutal. Insulting. Degrading. Ludicrous. Disgraceful. Pitiful. Unwatchable. Laughable. Dishonorable. Preposterous. Senseless. Farcical. Abject. Unbelievable. Horrendous. Regrettable. Dumb. Dreadful. Spurious. Grotesque. Catastrophic. Reprehensible. Woeful. Distasteful. Ugly. Demeaning. Monstrous. Derisory. Painful. Comical. Puerile. Shocking. Unbearable.

And no, I did not think much of this prank, this snow fight. Everyone involved in allowing this travesty to go ahead should be thoroughly ashamed. Starting with referee Joel Aguilar who, in theory at any rate, had the final say.

B
brace
brace
B
Earth to Paul: There has been a power shift going on in CONMEBOL for several years now.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Quote:

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Paul Gardner's Soccer Talk is a benefit for Soccer America members.

.......Finally, then to Denver and the blizzard and a game that should never have been started, never mind played for a full treacherous 90 minutes. So, just a few words on that encounter. Here they are:

Embarrassing. Shameful. Fraudulent. Ridiculous. Scandalous. Pathetic. Dangerous. Absurd. Outrageous. Forgettable. Brutal. Insulting. Degrading. Ludicrous. Disgraceful. Pitiful. Unwatchable. Laughable. Dishonorable. Preposterous. Senseless. Farcical. Abject. Unbelievable. Horrendous. Regrettable. Dumb. Dreadful. Spurious. Grotesque. Catastrophic. Reprehensible. Woeful. Distasteful. Ugly. Demeaning. Monstrous. Derisory. Painful. Comical. Puerile. Shocking. Unbearable.

Hey Paul, you left out 2 words: "three" & "points"

S
Goal
Goal
S
And in case you were wondering how the Costa Rican protest turned out.....FIFA denied it.

Here's the link to the FIFA response:

FIFA Denies Protest

This is the crucial piece here:

"...FIFA has examined the content of the letter and, taking into consideration article 14, paragraph 4 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup regulations, has confirmed that the conditions established in the regulations for an official protest have not been met by the Costa Rica FA."

And if you're wondering what those conditions are in article 14, paragraph 4, (see page 21) they state you have to file your protest within 2 hours of the match. Costa Rica turned in their protest 2 days after the match. Sorry.....

FIFA WORLD CUP REGULATIONS

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Palmetto State Ties
Clint Dempsey (Furman)
Brad Guzan (South Carolina)

The U.S. Men's National Team earned a gritty 0-0 draw from Estadio Azteca to take a point on Mexican soil for just the second time in World Cup Qualifying. Brad Guzan was resolute in goal with the back four facing 15 corner kicks during the course of the game to keep the clean sheet. The U.S. is now 0-13-2 in World Cup Qualifying matches in Mexico and 1-23-2 all-time internationally in Mexico. The USA is now 16-32-13 all-time in international competition against Mexico and 5-15-6 in World Cup Qualifying.

* Brad Guzan Makes Three Saves as USA Defense Posts Second Straight Shutout
* U.S. MNT Resumes 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying on June 7 in Jamaica and Hosts Panama on June 11 at CenturyLink Field in Seattle
* USA Hosts International Friendlies on May 29 against Belgium at FirstEnergy in Cleveland and June 2 against Germany at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.

The draw in the USA’s third of 10 matches in the Final Round of 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying moved the Americans to 1-1-1 (4 points) in the Hexagonal and into a three-way tie for second place with Honduras and Costa Rica behind Panama (1-0-2, 5 points) at the top of the table. Mexico (0-0-3, 3 points) is in fifth place, and Jamaica (0-1-2, 2 points) sits in sixth. The top three finishers qualify directly to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. In other results tonight Panama blanked Honduras 2-0 at Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City and Costa Rica moved up from last place with a 2-0 victory against Jamaica at Estadio Nacional in San Jose, Costa Rica.

The U.S. will resume World Cup Qualifying on June 7 when it faces Jamaica at National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica.

B
brace
brace
B
Was it my imagination, or were we shockingly short of German-Americans last night? I think there may be more going on than meets the eye.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Now imagination having to go to PKs after a gutsy performance like that...

CoachA #161803 03/27/13 01:51 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Point taken. There's a lot to be said for a hard-fought draw.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
AGREED!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Former South Carolina goalkeeper Brad Guzan (Aston Villa FC) makes a great save at Azteca Stadium Tuesday night vs. Mexico to secure the United States a very important draw.

Commentary: World Cup soccer qualifying
Jim Litke, The Associated Press

Goal
Goal
Brad Guzan was impressive last night. Looked to be organizing that back-line really well. Hopefully he can keep Villa afloat!

Furthermore - you can't tell me the United States of America with all 400 gazillion people in it cannot find a left back better than "emergency" Beasely. He was just awful. WHY IS HE STILL SO SMALL? HE NEEDS A CHEESEBURGER AND A MILKSHAKE. When you're getting ran over by Giovanni Dos Santos and the like...seriously pick your weight up.

I have my own personal frustration when a country of its regional dominance economically and politically gets waxed by say Honduras or Jamaica, but I have to believe that someone in the United States can play left back.

Don't give me the "hard fought classic US performance" crap either Alexi. Maybe when you played and not many others did. There is super-stupid money wrapped up in soccer in the United States, and if we can barely qualify in a region where there is not super-stupid money wrapped up in ANYTHING (that's legal) shame on us.

However, I did find the piece about Mexican and American roster interchanges fascinating and I would totally pay more attention if Jorge Ramos was the U.S. commentator rather than Alexi if not only for the fact that I never have to hear him talk about the early 1990's again. They were bad years anyways with terrible hair, uniforms, and he even got a swift kick in the nuts. Although, there's a reason it was him (he's a douche).

Last edited by shut^&play; 03/28/13 03:05 AM.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Don't keep up w the EPL all that much, but what about Eric Lichaj? Saw him play some friendlies w US and thought he looked capable. Better than Beasley. I like Fabian Johnson, but would like to see him in midfield role in a friendly ( Gomez and Johnson work hard, but are not left wings). Johnson likes to attack and is obviously good on defensive end. Not a Beasley fan at all, but at least it's not Bornstein!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard