Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Goal
Goal
S
And in case you were wondering how the Costa Rican protest turned out.....FIFA denied it.

Here's the link to the FIFA response:

FIFA Denies Protest

This is the crucial piece here:

"...FIFA has examined the content of the letter and, taking into consideration article 14, paragraph 4 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup regulations, has confirmed that the conditions established in the regulations for an official protest have not been met by the Costa Rica FA."

And if you're wondering what those conditions are in article 14, paragraph 4, (see page 21) they state you have to file your protest within 2 hours of the match. Costa Rica turned in their protest 2 days after the match. Sorry.....

FIFA WORLD CUP REGULATIONS

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Palmetto State Ties
Clint Dempsey (Furman)
Brad Guzan (South Carolina)

The U.S. Men's National Team earned a gritty 0-0 draw from Estadio Azteca to take a point on Mexican soil for just the second time in World Cup Qualifying. Brad Guzan was resolute in goal with the back four facing 15 corner kicks during the course of the game to keep the clean sheet. The U.S. is now 0-13-2 in World Cup Qualifying matches in Mexico and 1-23-2 all-time internationally in Mexico. The USA is now 16-32-13 all-time in international competition against Mexico and 5-15-6 in World Cup Qualifying.

* Brad Guzan Makes Three Saves as USA Defense Posts Second Straight Shutout
* U.S. MNT Resumes 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying on June 7 in Jamaica and Hosts Panama on June 11 at CenturyLink Field in Seattle
* USA Hosts International Friendlies on May 29 against Belgium at FirstEnergy in Cleveland and June 2 against Germany at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.

The draw in the USA’s third of 10 matches in the Final Round of 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying moved the Americans to 1-1-1 (4 points) in the Hexagonal and into a three-way tie for second place with Honduras and Costa Rica behind Panama (1-0-2, 5 points) at the top of the table. Mexico (0-0-3, 3 points) is in fifth place, and Jamaica (0-1-2, 2 points) sits in sixth. The top three finishers qualify directly to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. In other results tonight Panama blanked Honduras 2-0 at Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City and Costa Rica moved up from last place with a 2-0 victory against Jamaica at Estadio Nacional in San Jose, Costa Rica.

The U.S. will resume World Cup Qualifying on June 7 when it faces Jamaica at National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica.

B
brace
brace
B
Was it my imagination, or were we shockingly short of German-Americans last night? I think there may be more going on than meets the eye.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Now imagination having to go to PKs after a gutsy performance like that...

CoachA #161803 03/27/13 01:51 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Point taken. There's a lot to be said for a hard-fought draw.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
AGREED!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Former South Carolina goalkeeper Brad Guzan (Aston Villa FC) makes a great save at Azteca Stadium Tuesday night vs. Mexico to secure the United States a very important draw.

Commentary: World Cup soccer qualifying
Jim Litke, The Associated Press

Goal
Goal
Brad Guzan was impressive last night. Looked to be organizing that back-line really well. Hopefully he can keep Villa afloat!

Furthermore - you can't tell me the United States of America with all 400 gazillion people in it cannot find a left back better than "emergency" Beasely. He was just awful. WHY IS HE STILL SO SMALL? HE NEEDS A CHEESEBURGER AND A MILKSHAKE. When you're getting ran over by Giovanni Dos Santos and the like...seriously pick your weight up.

I have my own personal frustration when a country of its regional dominance economically and politically gets waxed by say Honduras or Jamaica, but I have to believe that someone in the United States can play left back.

Don't give me the "hard fought classic US performance" crap either Alexi. Maybe when you played and not many others did. There is super-stupid money wrapped up in soccer in the United States, and if we can barely qualify in a region where there is not super-stupid money wrapped up in ANYTHING (that's legal) shame on us.

However, I did find the piece about Mexican and American roster interchanges fascinating and I would totally pay more attention if Jorge Ramos was the U.S. commentator rather than Alexi if not only for the fact that I never have to hear him talk about the early 1990's again. They were bad years anyways with terrible hair, uniforms, and he even got a swift kick in the nuts. Although, there's a reason it was him (he's a douche).

Last edited by shut^&play; 03/28/13 03:05 AM.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Don't keep up w the EPL all that much, but what about Eric Lichaj? Saw him play some friendlies w US and thought he looked capable. Better than Beasley. I like Fabian Johnson, but would like to see him in midfield role in a friendly ( Gomez and Johnson work hard, but are not left wings). Johnson likes to attack and is obviously good on defensive end. Not a Beasley fan at all, but at least it's not Bornstein!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard