Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
arrgy #162038 04/19/13 07:28 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

I am going to assume this is High School.

1. There are too many games on the same night. Why everyone in the world in certain areas have to play on Friday night, for example, is beyond me. This, of all things, greatly limits the number of officials that can be assigned. Either you need to separate the girls season and boys season or schools need to start playing on other nights.

Part of the allure of Friday night is probably an attempt to build a fan base in areas that are conditioned to the ways of pigskin football--Friday night is game night, and also not a work night for many, so that's when you get your crowds and therefore your revenue. Another reason is to alleviate some of the concern of student athletes being out late on school nights and suffering academically the next morning--Friday night games don't have classroom consequences on Saturday mornings. I agree, though, that it needs to be broken up for the sake of the availability of officials; region coordinators and schedulers could look at scheduling games that involve significant travel time for one team on Fridays, while games with nearby opponents could be scheduled on weeknights, as the students would still be able to get home at a reasonable hour after the match.
Quote:

2. Your assessment system for referees is as only as good as the assessors. Coaches can not be assessors they have a bias, they have a stake in the game. You need people from the referee associations to go out and assess referees. People who are already certified to assess referees by taking the USSF assessors course is a good start.

I agree that coaches have a natural bias, as they have a stake in the game. That does not rule out the possibility that other assessors would also have other kinds of bias--for example, protecting the professional image of the officials as a group. At school, while students are certainly biased about their ratings of teachers on disciplinary matters, the administrators who handle the referrals would also prefer to err on the side of the teacher if possible--it helps to maintain the authority of the system. I would like to think, though, that the majority of adults are capable of giving useful feedback even under the influence of bias. As a coach, I believe you should respect a match well-called even when the decisions don't go your way.

Quote:

3. The verbal referee abuse needs to stop, from coaches and spectators. Referees need to stop it with cards or game terminations, and AD's need to stop it by actually going to some of these games to see it first hand. Finally the league needs to start punishing these schools, but you will never get younger referees if it continues.

Agreed. Abuse solves nothing, helps no one, and creates further problems. I would personally appreciate feedback if there is inappropriate crowd interaction, as coaches often completely "tune out" what is coming from the stands behind our backs and are totally focused on the field.
Quote:

4. Assistant Referee pay needs to go up to at least 2/3 the pay of the Center Official. In a lot of places it is only half. Some people dont want to go out and run two lines, however, a good AR is worth his weight in Gold.

Agreed...a good AR makes a huge difference in a well-called match. I was just looking at the figures...we could accomplish the 2/3 standard by adding about $10 to each AR's pay per game. That's $20 per game. For an 18-game schedule with half of those at home, this adds up to about $180 per season...the cost of three good-quality game balls, and not enough to make or break any program. If it makes a difference in getting quality people their due, I wouldn't argue.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #162039 04/19/13 08:35 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
I can't believe the pay is that different....holy cow. Here, if I go do a JV/V match, 2 man followed by a 3 man, I make $104. If I just walk in and do the center for the varsity match (because that is the way we do it around here..the 2 from the JV game are the ARs), I get $59 for the 1 game center. It works well around here.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
James Gray #162040 04/19/13 08:37 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
If we are talking USSF, you do get quite a bit less in a game if you are the AR. Here it is about the same 2/3 or so if you are the AR...not really that fair, but if you rotate through the officials, then it comes out even.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
Coach Chass #162041 04/20/13 02:34 PM
A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever seen two take a PK?

No, but you have!

Seriously, the commonsense thing in that situation would seem to be to tell the second player to move behind the line before the attempt was allowed. By the letter of the law, though, the rules were followed. Now, if the goal had been scored and had been allowed, THAT would have been a true head-scratcher!

I am going to assume you mean something like this:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/43377/new_way_of_penalty_kick/

Remember its called a Penalty KICK, not a Penalty Shot on Goal. There is nothing in the law that states you must take a shot on goal, the only requirements are that the ball is kicked and it goes forward.

Last edited by arrgy; 04/20/13 02:44 PM.
arrgy #162042 04/20/13 08:43 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I've seen that one...yep, it's legal, the ball just has to be played in a forward direction and the original kicker can't touch it again until it has been touched by another player. The issue in this case was apparently that both players were already inside the penalty area when the kick was taken, not one running in from the top of the box after the ball was played as in the video.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #162043 04/22/13 02:21 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Correct Coach, we know during a match the shot can be finished, we have put rebounds in ourselves. This was not a run on, it was a standing there ready waiting.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Maybe the ref ruled for an indirect PK ;-}

Mad River #162045 04/22/13 05:39 PM
I
goal
goal
I
No... wish it was that easy
We have seen a few of those before.

Goal
Goal
Had a JV and Varsity game last night. This is the first time I had last night's officials. I will say, so far the Best 2 referees I have had this season. Took 16 games but finally got some good refs. They missed a call here & there on both teams and had to handle a long injury delay, but overall the officiating was great. We've been talking about the bad officiating, but I want to recognize the 2 refs who actually controlled the game from start to finish: Ernie Levinson and Jason Haggard.

eMnAvA #162047 04/23/13 03:51 PM
A
Goal
Goal
A
I applaud you Coach Navarro for recognizing these officials. We also enjoyed good officiating last night and have for most of the year. There are many strong officials out there.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard