Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
J
Brace
Brace
J
RESPONSE: You are kidding, right?
Really guys, all this does is pass the buck and punish kids, who deserve better. It rationalizes a poor choice.

In response to that...I am not punishing anybody. How am I passing the buck? This is not on me, no matter how you put it. The punishment to the kids would be hiring a coach that is abusive, or allowing fans/players/parents to get out of hand at an event.

The other thing that you have got to understand is that I referee because it is fun, it can be challenging at times, but it is still fun. If it ever becomes not fun, I'm done. I enjoy getting outside for some fresh air, getting some exercise, providing what I think is above average refereeing skills, and in the end some givng back to the game. If I had to put up with abuse all of the time, I would stop refereeing games. I have better things to do with my life than put up with that. I could run more races with my family, I could spend more time up at the cabin on the water with my family, etc....

It isn't a job for me, I don't need the money...and when it comes down to why referees ref.....it is because they like it, and it is fun. Take that away, and then you would only have the referees that are in it for the money, and I can gurantee they aren't the best ones out there!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
James Gray #162009 04/15/13 04:35 PM
B
brace
brace
B
So, status quo and the usual "we'll quit"?
Now, I understand.

Backscreen17 #162010 04/15/13 06:10 PM
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I posted this is the Boys Varsity Soccer section, and never heard a word. I wonder if someone in this thread would have an opinion?

"I have a question re: this game for coaches and especially referees. Foul was committed in the box in this game, resulting in a yellow card. (Player with the ball fouled by the last defender). Fouling player subsequently kicked the player he fouled intentionally after the whistle. This did result in an appropriate red card. Here's my question: ultimate result of the play was a goal kick for the team which had committed the foul(s). I'm not a ref, not a coach, but don't understand how that's possible. Referees explanation was that the ball was out of the box when the foul was called. (Can't confirm that). Foul was definitely way inside the 18."

Go Blue!! Go Canes!!
MGoBlue100 #162011 04/15/13 06:51 PM
I
bench
bench
I
If the ball was out of touch before the contact it is not a foul. From your description it sounds like ref properly cautioned defending player but he couldn't award a foul since a foul can only be committed by a player while the ball is in play. So the fact the offense took place in the penalty box is not material and the correct restart is a goal kick. Now if the ball wasn't yet out of touch it would be a pk.

imjustsayin #162012 04/15/13 06:56 PM
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

If the ball was out of touch before the contact it is not a foul. From your description it sounds like ref properly cautioned defending player but he couldn't award a foul since a foul can only be committed by a player while the ball is in play. So the fact the offense took place in the penalty box is not material and the correct restart is a goal kick. Now if the ball wasn't yet out of touch it would be a pk.

Thanks for clarifying.

Go Blue!! Go Canes!!
MGoBlue100 #162013 04/15/13 07:38 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Backscreen, do you not agree with the statement that it is the schools fault for having a coach that would treat referees/players with such disdain? Just trying to get a clarifying answer from you.

I love how you always bring it back to the referee as being in the wrong. Maybe you should spread some blame on the coaches/administrators/parents a bit too.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
James Gray #162014 04/15/13 07:39 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
By the way...is the air a little thin up there on your soap box? Because you seem to be rather high at the moment....

James Gray #162015 04/16/13 01:37 PM
B
brace
brace
B
James, of course, you're right. Some coaches cross the line. Can schools do better? Sure. But then, at some schools in South Carolina, that same awful coach might just respond to YOUR suggestions as follows:

1) Have you ever coached?
2) What do you expect for the pitiful stipend you're giving me?
3) But you're making me work with awful parents, players and officials.
4) I do this "for fun." Eliminate the fun, and ...
5) I quit. Find somebody better.

Sound familiar?

My point throughout has been simple. Let's take certain minimally invasive steps to improve officiating. All I've heard is why we CAN'T. You're right, the soapbox is a bit lofty and the air may be thin. Then again, ground-floor mediocrity and excuse-making ain't getting it done. The smog of everyday officiating must be clouding your judgment.

Backscreen17 #162016 04/17/13 08:53 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Had to laugh last night. Center ref awarded a PK for a foul in the box. We did it, they should have gotten a PK.

What followed was mind blowing. The ref allowed two of their players in the box. One pushed a pass forward to other one who blasted the ball from an angle. Our keeper stopped it... But what the heck was that?

J
Brace
Brace
J
Bad refereeing!

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard