Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

By the way, as a club/rec coach, when a kid complains to you about how hard it is to make a highly competitive H.S. team, the correct, positive response is: "Yes. And what are you going to do about it?"
(GET BETTER!)
Not: "You're right. There are just too many kids there. Why waste your time trying?"

how does this have anything to do with the simple math problem of mt pleasant? this pretty much confirms that you are just using this topic as another opportunity to be a blowhard. & save your little off topic life lessons for an 8yr old, they might be impressed.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

The simple point, that you have been patently unable to grasp, is that it's not JUST a Math problem. I've worked for/with big schools, small schools, public schools, private schools, with boys and girls. The one thing they ALL have in common is a small, vocal cadre of parents who complain that their kids didn't make the team OR don't play enough. Heck, that's part and parcel of H.S. athletics.
The irony here is that the very parents who complain are the same ones who chose Mt. P precisely because they wanted to send their kids to a great public school like Wando, fully KNOWING the numbers.
When you pick your poison, you shouldn't gripe about the flavor.
The cool thing is, if you're an East Cooper parent and are dissatisfied with the numbers game, you can send your child to such soccer schools as: Academic Magnet (if you're willing to compete in THAT numbers game without whining at the outcome); Bishop England, Porter-Gaud, First Baptist, Pinewood Prep, etc. MANY PARENTS DO, though generally NOT just for better odds of making the team.
Or, as a typical "privileged" Mt. P parent, you can move to Summerville (oops, big enrollment) or any place you choose.
As I've said, though, don't assume that being cut (or not even trying out) at Wando is a guarantee you'll play for, or even make, other teams.
I might add, if your kid chooses TO NOT EVEN TRY OUT because of perceived long odds, the credibility of your complaint suffers enormously.
Reality: If you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the lottery.

ok, thanks, more off topic blowhardiness, can't get enough.

B
brace
brace
B
I'll consider the source.
One last try.
The purpose of fielding interscholastic athletic teams is NOT to give EVERY kid a uniform. (They call that intramurals.)
No, it's to give every kid the chance to compete for a uniform and all the life lessons that go with it. One of those life lessons is coming up short in a competitive tryout environment. Arguably the GREATEST lesson is coming up short, working hard to improve, and making it the following year.
If mine had come to me and said, "Dad, I'm not trying out because there are so many good players and I don't think I can make it" ...
I'd like to think I'd have something more instructive to say and do than kvetch about the size of the school.
But then, I'm a blowhard.

S
goal
goal
S
I like how you keep trying to turn this into one of your whiney parents/kids diatribes, (pot meet kettle btw). whatever dude..simple math is the issue of mt p residents getting short changed in the hs sports dept, its one of the minus' of one large school vs two. but you keep up the good deflection duck & cover fight you've got going on for whatever reason. might wanna take some of your own pearls of obvious wisdom is my suggestion

S
goal
goal
S
anyway to wrap up my inane part of this dumb argument, my point was that all the wando championships come with a price to mt pleasant residents over the past 15 yrs when this towns population started exploding. and for agenda boy, i'll say again nothing to do with the many fine wando programs, teachers, coaches, admin blah blah blah

C
Goal
Goal
C
If we admit the Wando wins because of size and Mt. Pleasant needs two schools, can we put an end to this thread?

S
goal
goal
S
oh lordy, way to stir the pot, here we go...

B
brace
brace
B
Here's the answer.
East Cooper Opportunity School. Enrollment: 22. 11 boys. 11 girls. Nobody EVER gets cut. No "suffering" allowed.
Count me in, guys!
Then again, who's going to decide which 22 kids have the privilege of attending this educational utopia?
You mean, someone might not make the cut?

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Backscreen... seriously... give it a break.

Average 4a school is perhaps 2000 students. Say 20 people on a soccer team. Means one out of 100 students gets to play soccer.

Wando 3300 students, 20 on the soccer team or one out of 165 get to play.

Ft Mill 1500 students, 20 on the team or one out of 75
JL Mann 1600 students, 20 on the team or one out of 80.

It goes way beyond "try harder next year" to the point that people who would be making the team at other schools not making the team at Wando.

And keep in mind Ft Mill and JL Mann are two outstanding soccer schools. Mann was upper state this year and Ft Mill was 3a upper state 2 years ago.

So we aren't talking about schools that take everyone who shows up and losses 12-0. We are talking about high quality programs that compete and win year after year.

And it goes WAY beyond winning state championships. It is playing on a team. It is building leadership skills. It is building long lasting relationships. It is part of the high school experience.

Do you think it is just a coincidence that every president since Eisenhower played a competitive sport?

But since Wando is so big people that maybe aren't great player, but who might get a LOT out of being on a team are denied that chance. But hey... at least you can brag about 7 straight lower state championships...

B
brace
brace
B
Pjay: Not bragging about anything. If anything, the Wando boys have underachieved in recent seasons. One state championship since the early 2000s? And with this giant enrollment. Wow.
The fact remains:
Competitive interscholastic sports is an EARNED privilege; not an enrollment-based entitlement.
(And tons of extraordinary people have somehow muddled through life without making a single high school team.)

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard