bench
L
Uwishurpantieswerentinawad

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

The sheer "numbers" game isn't nearly the predictor you might think. Give me the more relevant number -- legitimate "next-level" players -- mixed with strong, consistent coaching.
Also, can't say I'm sure about kids getting "screwed" by the numbers. Wando's boys' coach has gone out of his way to carry as many as 30 kids on varsity, and I'm here to tell you, they're not ALL high-level high school kids. indeed, some might argue that carrying that many creates more problems (playing-time hassles, lack of reps in practice, etc.) than it solves.
Also, a number of Wando's current kids wouldn't have even made varsity if all the East Cooper kids on BE and Magnet "stayed home."

seems like you just argued for my point of mt pleasant residents getting screwed out of wando hs sports participation

S
bench
bench
S
No one was talking bad about JL Mann?

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Nervous parent.

S
bench
bench
S
Ha... How is it not smart to name players...? What difference does it make?

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
IIIIts game day. Population of Gilbert will double.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Quote:

Uwishurpantieswerentinawad

Chuckle

B
brace
brace
B
Sandman: In the end, how can someone be legitimately upset about their kid NOT making a H.S. team when:
a) The coach keeps 30-or-so kids on varsity. And
b) That 30 has already been watered down by movement to BE, AMHS, Academy, etc.
The reality is, if you're really upset about your kid NOT making the team -- if THAT'S your priority -- transfer your kid to BE or AMHS. Just don't be surprised when he's cut there, too.
In the end, it's NOT about too many kids for too few positions. It's about each kid's ability to play and make an already bloated roster. Once you get 30 deep at ANY school in SC, regardless of enrollment, NOBODY can complain.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sandman: In the end, how can someone be legitimately upset about their kid NOT making a H.S. team when:
a) The coach keeps 30-or-so kids on varsity. And
b) That 30 has already been watered down by movement to BE, AMHS, Academy, etc.
The reality is, if you're really upset about your kid NOT making the team -- if THAT'S your priority -- transfer your kid to BE or AMHS. Just don't be surprised when he's cut there, too.
In the end, it's NOT about too many kids for too few positions. It's about each kid's ability to play and make an already bloated roster. Once you get 30 deep at ANY school in SC, regardless of enrollment, NOBODY can complain.

why are you trying to personalize it & turn simple math into the ramblings of a disgruntled parent? we don't know each other & why are you dragging the coaching staff into it? my point was a general one that was brought up by the super of schools a few years ago btw as to the inequities of sports participation at wando because of the simple math.
if nobody can complain then why do they. there is a strong undercurrent of wando parents who just roll their eyes at the futility of their kids even bothering to try out anymore because of the simple math problem. I stand by the statement that the student athletes of mt pleasant are not well served because of the simple math.

&btw since you brought up the boys soccer team of 30 & then detailed the problems associated with that team of 30, I totally agree & still wonder what are you arguing about???

B
brace
brace
B
Your post: ya, its too bad that the kids of mt pleasant & the taxpaying parents are really getting screwed with only one team for each sport with all those numbers. a lot of quality mt pleasant kids & parents have become very cynical towards the inequities of those numbers in all wando sports.
wish the school board or anyone with common sense would address those issues. if only it was about the kids & the importance of hs sports

My response, again, as plain as I can make it: Yes, Wando is a large enrollment high school. Yes, there may be kids there who DON'T make the varsity who could play elsewhere. That said, when you are adjudged the 31st-best male soccer player at ANY high school in SC, regardless of enrollment, your parents may be better served to encourage you to try other sports or do other things.
Many parents locate in Mount Pleasant for the specific purpose of sending their kids to "good" schools. At ANY school, you BALANCE the good with the bad. If the "bad" is too many kids and not enough roster spots, and SOCCER is your priority, then send your son to any one of several perfectly good alternatives (BE or AMHS). Just understand that, being the 31st best player at Wando doesn't necessarily guarantee you a spot elsewhere.
One of the best things about sport is the presumed objectivity of the selection process. Unless you're telling me that a kid is CLEARLY in the top 30 and DOESN'T make the team, then, sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for parents who want it all.
As to the problems of a team of 32, my solution is simple: keep 24-26 instead. Problem is, you'd then have 4-6 MORE sets of parents kvetching about the size of the school.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard