Dear Club Leaders:

My first year as President is coming to a close and I wanted to address a few concerns going into the summer and for the future. Our Board of Directors has made a transition from an operating board to a governing board during this first year. Our organizational bylaws still have assigned duties for each board position although most of those duties are carried out by our dedicated staff.

Those duties include but are not limited to Cups and Games, Olympic Development and Recreational growth. Our district commissioners no longer have any administrative duties as all these have been forwarded to our office in Irmo. We are moving further toward a completely professional and paid staff environment.

Many of our member Clubs are still volunteer based. I know how difficult it is to get quality volunteers that are focused on the game and not their own children. I am reaching out to you specifically to let you know that our Board does face a dilema going forward.

Last August, you witnessed an election for Secretary and President. The Secretary position was filled by a nomination from the floor. This individual never agreed to seek this office. The other Secretary nominee was defeated (also not present). In the wake of that election - it was determined that the winner of that election never discussed the role she could play with SCYS. After I spoke to her, she informed me that she did not wish to be the Secretary. Needless to say, we have gone a year without a member of the Executive Committee in place.

In May of 2012, Don Mikel resigned as Cups and Games Director. I have been acting Director for that position since August 2012. No one has stepped forward despite many attempts to fill this position.

Elliot Fayssoux will not seek another term as Vice- President. He does not wish to be President therefore he will not occupy the natural position to assume the leadership of SCYS. No one else has expressed a desire to run for Vice- President over the last few months.

Our Recreation Director has resigned effective this past May. We will have four open positions on the Board by August 3rd.

Over this last year I have tried very hard to complete my platform delivered in August 2012. I am not there yet but we have made significant progress. This progress is because of your help. I am asking for your help again.

We don't need soccer people. We need business people. Individuals that can look at a balance sheet or budget. Little or no travel is involved. Our last Board meeting was done through conference call and video conferencing. No reports are required. The Board is not involved in any decisions accept those included in the agenda which you receive prior to every meeting. Those decisions are generally accompanied by recommendations from the DOC or Coaching Committee.

My term is up in August 2014. At this time I will seek another term if the membership believes in what we are doing. However, we need a succession plan in place. You all know what happens when there is a leadership vacuum. Over the next year, I will be looking at modifying our Bylaws to fit our business model. As members, it will be your votes that determine any changes to these bylaws. I hope to have recommendations to you by March 2014. Amendments would not be considered until August 2014.

Thank you for your continued support for this game and our children-

Hans Pauling

SCYS President