Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#165220 11/25/13 01:07 PM
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
got an email from our local referee assignor asking about input on this, attached a l;ink to Georgia's mercy rule:

http://gsoa.net/n/p/1085.html

GHSA Mercy Rule
National Federation Mercy Rule

If a Team is 7 or More Goals Down at the Midpoint of the first half (20 or Less Minutes Played), the half will end and the Second Half will be 20 Minutes.
If a Team is 7 or More Goals down at Halftime, the second half will be 20 Minutes in Length.
If a team is 10 or More Goals Down in the Second Half, the game will be Terminated.

Here are the decision points considering it is a HS Varsity match:

If you have achieved the 7-goal differential at the 20-minute mark of the first half, the half will end. The second half will be 20 minutes in length unless a 10-goal differential is attained and then the games ends.
If you have achieved the 7-goal differential at the end of the first half, the second half will be 20 minutes in length unless a 10-goal differential is attained and then the games ends.
If the goal differential goes below 7 during the second half, that half is still 20 minutes
If you attain a 10-goal differential in the 2nd half, the game ends immediately

coachsloan #165221 11/25/13 02:27 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I'd be in favor of that rule.

Kevin Heise #165222 11/25/13 04:11 PM
Goal
Goal
I see no difference in this rule than the mercy rules in baseball or softball. I have been on the receiving end of my lopsided matches, and I am in favor of it.

What would we, as an organization, need to do with adopting something like this? It seems that it is a NFHS rule, would we just have to take it to the SCHSL and say we want to adopt it?

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
Sean Vick #165223 11/25/13 04:13 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Yes, I believe that is correct Sean. We will bring this up at the Winter Clinic and vote on it and if it passes, present to the SCHSL for 2014-2015 school year. Please discuss freely in this thread.

Kevin Heise #165224 11/25/13 06:07 PM
Goal
Online Content
Goal
I have been on both sides of these types of scores and I think this would be good for our state.

I just wonder how many coaches would get to 9-0 (or whatever the threshold would be) and would stop scoring and just pass the ball around. Sometimes that can be more embarrassing than a team scoring 17 goals.

Goal
Goal
But if that is the case, the 2nd half would still only be 20 minutes…according to the rule.

Also, I was thinking. Lets say that the match is 10-0 at half time. According to the rule, the 2nd half is 20 minutes. But at the same time, if there is a 10 goal differential in the 2nd half, the match is terminated. Don't you have start the 2nd half for a match to be consider legal? Does that mean you start the 2nd half and then terminate it basically at the same time?

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
Sean Vick #165226 11/25/13 07:31 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
My understanding is that one half of play (40 minutes) is considered a full match per the NFHS.

Kevin Heise #165227 11/25/13 10:02 PM
C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Not that I am in favor or against this rule, just want to put this into the discussion.
Todd Ellis said during the Carolina football blowout this past Sat. When the fifth string QB got in.
"This guy runs the same sprints, spend the same time in practice and the weight room. This is his time, during a game like this." (Paraphrased)

Same is true with some of our players. Whether you are on the losing or winning side of a blow out, those games may be the only time certain player get on the field. Do you really want to cut their time to play? Just because we as coaches can't stand there for an hour and a half?

Having said that, if you keep your all state forward in, trying to score the 12 goal, her four of the match, in the last 30 seconds of the game, well you are jerk and it will come back to you.

Again, not sure if I am for or against this rule.

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
Cav #165228 11/26/13 03:18 PM
R
Throw In
Throw In
R
Aiken High beat someone last year 10-0 in Georgia. The Georgia team tried to keep the score down in the first half. The Georgia team held us to 5 goals in the first half. Five minutes the second half the game was over. The rule helps keep scores down, but it also makes it easy for teams to quit.

The rule makes teams try to win the game in the first half and never play bench players to get the game over as soon as possible.

I do not want to drive over an hour for a 40 minute game.

coachsloan #165229 12/04/13 07:37 PM
C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Blowout games can be a problem for both sides. I see positive & negatives the mercy rule. Having been on both sides of excessive scores, I have a few points:
* I like giving less used players playing time or for teaching players new positions - they need game experience against different opponents.
* Coaches should be reasonable & cooperate with each other - coaches & refs can agree at halftime to cut the 2nd half time to 30 minutes or less if the score gets out of hand.
* Both coaches monitor your players closer to be sure sportsmanship doesn't get out of hand. No one want to have a player hurt or red carded when frustration builds for the losing team.
* Getting beat by a far superior team was a good lesson for my team (reviewing the tape afterwards allowed my team to be educated how to play a particular system or formation). It's also helpful to show my team how another team more intense, plays less selfish, communicates better, etc...
* Have you ever taken off players and played short-handed? Makes your team work that much harder and makes for a better game.
* On Short-handed games were the opposition has less then 10 players, I am very unhappy with coaches that will still play with a full squad and look for the blowout. I have always played games with an even number of players as the opposition (except when players were sent off). Sportsmanship starts with the coach & the players see that.
* I believe playing one blowout against good competition (esp. in a scrimmage) can be a good thing for learning. But repeated beatings throughout the season - the mercy rule would be very good to have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard