Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#165915 03/02/14 05:09 PM
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Question-- GKer has the ball in his hands... opposition player is within arms reach of GKer... GKer moves to the side and player "mirrors" GKer.

What is the opposition player allowed to do when the GKer has the ball in his hands and how close is he allowed to be?

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
Goal
Online Content
Goal
I've always heard refs tell field players that they must back away or stand still to allow the gker to move to the side and punt the ball. The field player isn't allowed to "mirror" the gker and try to block a punt or throw.
At least that's what I've always heard.

Brace
Brace
Agree with Coach Delong. If player persists, should be cautioned for misconduct.

"any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player(s) attempts to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game"

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
I had a kid get a yellow for standing in front of the keeper multiple times.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Rule 12-4.3

The GK in possession of the ball shall not be interfered with or impeded in any manner by the opponent. This includes the act of bouncing the ball or dropping the ball for a kick or attempting to throw the ball or tossing the ball in the air to recatch.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

Agree with Coach Delong. If player persists, should be cautioned for misconduct.

"any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player(s) attempts to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game"

Actually the misconduct is for persistent infringement of the rules of the game.

But that's being picky.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Rule 12-4.3

The GK in possession of the ball shall not be interfered with or impeded in any manner by the opponent. This includes the act of bouncing the ball or dropping the ball for a kick or attempting to throw the ball [ or tossing the ball in the air to recatch.

I only ask this for clearer understanding. If the GK drops the ball to the ground for a kick, do my players sit back or apply pressure? If a GK drops the ball to his feet for a kick, does the team have clearance to pressure him or wait?

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

Quote:

Rule 12-4.3

The GK in possession of the ball shall not be interfered with or impeded in any manner by the opponent. This includes the act of bouncing the ball or dropping the ball for a kick or attempting to throw the ball [ or tossing the ball in the air to recatch.

I only ask this for clearer understanding. If the GK drops the ball to the ground for a kick, do my players sit back or apply pressure? If a GK drops the ball to his feet for a kick, does the team have clearance to pressure him or wait?

.... When goalkeepers put the ball on the ground, they relinquish their privileges as goalkeepers.

Goal
Goal
Some referees do not understand that. I asked because that was a situation we went through once before.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Generally speaking, referees expect attacking players to do one of two things when the GK takes possession. One, stand there and don't move...have the GK go around the attacker to distribute the ball. Or two, the attacker moves back a sufficient distance (to me it is at least a couple of yards) and make no moves towards the GK or in front of the GK when they distribute the ball with a throw or a kick.

Anything else goes against the spirit of the game. If the GK drops the ball to play it with their feet when the attacker is right there is just stupid and there should not be a call.

I did a game once where that happened and the GK realizing was in trouble picked the ball up with his hands, he got a card (this was college) and an IDK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard