Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16595 04/06/04 06:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find it interesting as a non native of South Carolina to listen to the rabid debate on this board as to what teams are stronger. The strand on goal scorers and GFC's comment within about players not being able to score against the likes of the upstate 3A teams lead me to do a little research on the subject. (I'm a teacher who has a couple of days off before heading down to the Palmetto Cup). What I looked at was the ranked teams from 4A down to 1A (sorry SCISA including you would have made life more complicated) and checked out the win loss record of ranked teams vs. ranked teams of other sized schools. What I found seems fairly interesting so I thought I'd share.

First let's look at 3A which seems to command the most debate on this board. I'll list the team played, the ranking, the classification and the result in parenthesis.

#1 Daniel - has 0 games against ranked teams from other classifications

#2 Greenville - Summerville, #6, 4A (W), Wando, #2 4A (L), Walhalla, #9, 2A (W),Christ Church, #1, 1A (L)

#3 Riverside - Dorman, #15, 4A (W)

#4 Myrtle Beach - Spring Valley, #14 4A (L)

#5 Dreher - Dutch Fork, #4, 4A (L), Bishop England, #2, 2A (L), Chapin, #3, 2A (W)

#6 JL Mann - Academic Magnet, #5, 2A (W)

#7 Eastside - Christ Church, #1, 1A (W)

#8 Seneca - Ridge View, #10 4A (L), Pendleton, #4, 2A (L), Walhalla, #9, 2A (L)

#9 Brookland-Cayce - Socastee, #1, 4A(L), Wando, #2, 4A (L), Chapin, #3, 2A (L)

#10 North Myrtle Beach - Pendleton, #4, 2A (W), Andrew Jackson, #8, 2A (W)

When totalling wins vs. the different classifications we see the following:

3A Vs. 4A - 2 wins and 6 losses

3A vs. 2A - 5 wins and 4 losses

3A vs. 1A - 1 win and 1 loss

I find this particularly interesting because it seems that for all the talk that we hear on the board about the upstate 3A squads and from GFC's players there doesn't seem to be alot to back it up. Yes, their teams beat each other up regularly but they do not win much vs. the bigger schools and even against smaller schools they just hold their own. That being said when I looked at the 4A schools there was a tremendous difference in won/loss record against smaller schools. 4A was 6-2 vs. 3A and 7-1 vs. 2A (didn't carry it out to 1A).

I'm interested in hearing why others on this board might explain the disparity between the 4A dominance over smaller schools vs. the lack of ability of the 3A squads to do the same. Thoughts? Comments? (and yes I realize I have too much time on my hands)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In all fairness you have to eliminate the private schools. Some of them are known 'soccer schools' and I believe get a certain number of good players on that account.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Greenville(AAA) beat Christ Church(1A) 2-1 on March 10th.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
moon - which SCISA schools are the known soccer schools?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe moon is talking about Christ Church and Bishop England. But if you start eliminating "soccer schools" then we should toss out Wando and Irmo and South Aiken and that ends up defeating the purpose. GFC had implied that the upstate 3A teams were better defensively and I was just trying to show that they were not as far ahead as he claims. Also Buster you are correct, that was my mistake.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
some of those losses were in the preseason, which greeville knows they should have beat Wando and MB knows they should have killed Springvally

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
way to go Blaze7
--wax what he said up and griiiind it!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
uhh...actually they were all games that counted on their record. I didn't even look at scrimmages. Besides knowing that you should have and actually doing are two very different things.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks player....i didnt know that

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe that with Wando, Irmo and South Aiken that you have to live in the area for that school. Christ Church and Bishop England don't have that restriction. I know that if you change from one public school to the next that there are forms of some sort that players to have filled out. My only point is that it's apples and oranges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard