Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
U
Throw In
Throw In
U
Mann will be very good for at least 3 more years. They will have at least 5 girls that are on the current roster that will be playing Div. 1 soccer.

U
Throw In
Throw In
U
I know that these teams are going to fight it out. Out of Mann's 4 goals given up, none were against their starting goalie. It is going to be a great playoff. I would like to know why Dorman is expected to be good in the next few years. They have all CFC club girls and they could not even come close to competing with CESA's top teams. I'm not putting them down but I have heard some pretty bold statements from Dorman parents about they could compete in the ECNL.

M
MT4ME Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Mann will be very good for at least 3 more years. They will have at least 5 girls that are on the current roster that will be playing Div. 1 soccer.

I do believe Upperstate and the state championship is Mann's to lose. Obviously, the girls have to show up to play the game, and they will need to play well so some of the stronger teams don't surprise them. Coaching will play a role and giving the top players the opportunity to make it happen will be the key.

U
Throw In
Throw In
U
I agree. I think that Wando's coach could take Mann's players and hand it to Wando. What if Mann had Andrew Hyslop as a Coach? That is basically what Wando has had for how many years. That and 5000 students. It is like being an NBA coach. You don't do a whole lot. The girls have enough experience that coaching can hurt more than help in high school. 4 players on Mann will be playing u20 all summer. They really learn a lot playing with college girls from all divisions. My daughter played with Stephanie Devita and friends last year as a u15 and went to the nationals in Florida.

brace
brace
Quote:

I know that these teams are going to fight it out. Out of Mann's 4 goals given up, none were against their starting goalie. It is going to be a great playoff. I would like to know why Dorman is expected to be good in the next few years. They have all CFC club girls and they could not even come close to competing with CESA's top teams. I'm not putting them down but I have heard some pretty bold statements from Dorman parents about they could compete in the ECNL.

Think some ones numbers are off or not up to date. Based on the current score board
#1 JLMann gave up 7 goals, 2 twice, and 1 in region play
#2 Wando gave up 4 goals, none in region
#3 FM gave up 3 goals, 1 in region play
#4 DF gave up 21 goals, not worth going into detail
#5 Wade H gave up 9 goals, " "
#6 Dorman gave up 19 goals, " "

Clearly there is a drop off after the 1st three. How many anyone's starting/backup goalie gave seems to be not worth discussing just like how many goals the top teams scored likely they could run it up to 20 in many games if they desired. Will be interesting when the high scoring teams run into the no give away D's! Should be some good games ahead!

As for the Dorman thing well, region 2 was tough enough with Dorman, Wade Hampton, Riverside, Mauldin and now ya wanna throw Mann in the mix! Wow! I am guessing no one in region 2 is looking forward to seeing Mann twice a season!

From what I have seen comparing club to school teams is not really a good idea. To many factors, time, money, school zone affect the club/school mix. It works when you talk about groups of school in one area vs. another but school to school..... Just like the we got X number of future Div. 1 players on our team, ask yourself how many girls want to go to college to play soccer vs. get a specific education. I have seen many Div. 1 possible players decide school(college) was more important than soccer in the long run. Not knocking those who want to play on after high school, just pointing out that many players who could choose that route go another way and judging the strength of a program by how many play Div. 1 IMHO not a valid measure. Good Luck in your first round game.

Last edited by The Chief; 05/08/14 12:06 AM.
P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Perspective:

Wando is bigger than Mann and Fort Mill combined!

We could take a Mann and FM all star team and have them play Wando and Wando would still have a numerical advantage. 3551 vs 3343.

So let's just call the Upper State Championship the 4a state championship and then the State Championship can be the 5a state championship.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
More perspective:

Mann may have the best record in the state, but they also played the weakest non-conference schedule of the top 3 teams (Mann, Fort Mill, Wando)

Mann played
Dorman #6 in state in a scrimmage
Riverside #10 in a scrimmage
Eastside probably top 10 in the state

Wando
#8 Irmo
#9 Blythewood
#12 TL Hanna
Hilton Head probably top 5 in state
Peachtree ridge #7 in George
Academic Magnet probably top 10 in state

Fort Mill
#9 Blythewood
Academic Magnet
Lake Norman #6 in North Carolina

Think of it this way: is there a team that Mann beat that Wando or Fort Mill wouldn't also beat? Or if Wando/Fort Mill played Mann's schedule they would probably both be undefeated as well.

21-0 is impressive, but keep in mind Wichita State was 34-0 going into this years NCAA and look how that turned out. I am not saying that Mann isn't a good team cause clearly they are, but I am pointing out that I don't think you can look at these teams on paper and declare any of them to be better than the other two.

I think any of the three of them could win the State Championship without it being much of a surprise.

Last edited by Pjay; 05/08/14 02:45 AM.
M
MT4ME Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
M
Pjay
You forgot yo mention that Mann also played Bishop England, Christ Church, and TL Hanna (twice). No doubt they play in a weak region, but when you add those teams, their schedule doesn't seem nearly as weak. Bishop England beat Peachtree Ridge while Wando lost to them (also lost to Hilton Head). The bottom line is these are three strong teams that all play in pretty weak regions with just a few games that aren't blowouts. I would say that Mann played as tough a schedule as Fort Mill and Wando. In the end, it's hard to say how it will turn out. Fort Mill and Mann will face some of their toughest competition of the year on their way to the Upperstate Championship. While I am not as familiar with the Columbia teams, I have seen Wade Hampton and Dorman play and both are teams that give any of these teams some trouble.

Coaching is a factor as these high school coaches attempt to get players from various teams to come together. Wando has many very good players as well as a coach who has demonstrated her ability to do that. Can the other coaches accomplish that? We will see.

Last edited by MT4ME; 05/08/14 12:06 PM.
U
Throw In
Throw In
U
It is tough on Mann being in the weaker region but they have no control. As a team, they don't see as much competition. They do however work their rear ends off outside of High School. Everybody knows that a lot of the girls play club ball. The Canadian team they played the other night was very good. As for Dorman, Mann scrimmaged them and won 4 - 2. It was early in the year and mostly 2nd and 3rd strings played. Dorman seems to be physical not so much tactical. It is going to be a good playoff this year. May the best team win and everybody come through with no injuries.
Last thing, I heard the finals were going to be played on turf, is that true or just a rumor?

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
TL Hanna is 12-7, decent team but not one of the top schools.
Christ Church also looks like a decent team, but other than tying Eastside what is their best victory? TL Hanna?
Bishop England also looks like a decent team, didn't know they beat Peachtree Ridge, but they also lost to Academic Magnet twice and Wando, Mann and Dutch Fork.

CC and BE are both good 2a schools, but both seem to struggle against better 4a teams and on last years Massey rating they were ranked 14 and 25 with similar records to this year.

As for who played a tougher schedule, Wando probably has the toughest schedule in the state. Academic Magnet and Hilton Head are better than any team Mann played (with the possible exception of Eastside). On top of that they have Irmo, Blythewood and Peachtree ridge all of whom are probably better than the three teams you just mentioned.

As Fort Mill, their schedule is probably weaker overall due to a very weak region this year, but they did play and beat a couple of top teams.

And my goal isn't to demean what Mann did, 21-0 is awesome and no one went undefeated last year so good for them. I am just pointing out that if Wando or FM played the same schedule there is a good chance they would be undefeated too. Name a team that Mann beat that would beat FM or Wando.

Last edited by Pjay; 05/08/14 02:15 PM.
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard