Women’s Soccer Begins Preseason Camp
Gamecocks open the 2014 campaign with an exhibition at Duke on Aug. 14

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The South Carolina women’s soccer team began preseason camp on Wednesday with the first official practice of the 2014 season. The team began the day with a morning training session at Stone Stadium and is set to return to the pitch for afternoon skills work later today.

Head coach Shelley Smith enters her 14th season at the helm of the Garnet & Black this fall and was pleased with her team’s effort this morning.

“The first practice went very well. The players are fit, they’re working hard, they’re focused and they’re determined, all things that you want to see from them in the first session,” Smith said. “We’ll get sharper as we get more practices under our belt, but you see the decisions starting to come. The attitude was great on the first day.”

“As a senior, it’s a surreal feeling that today was my last first practice of preseason,” Taylor Leach said of the day. “I made sure that all of the girls knew that we come out and give it our all each day. This all started in June with training and conditioning, but now is when we start to play together. It was a pretty good first practice. Everybody is getting used to playing together, but after a few practices, I feel that we’ll get back into a rhythm.”

The Gamecocks bring back the majority of their roster from a 17-4-2 effort in 2013. One of those returning players is senior goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo, a two-time SEC Defensive Player of the Year honoree. In addition to security in net, the Gamecocks return four of their top five scorers from the 2013 season. Junior Raina Johnson netted 10 goals and added an assist to lead the team with 21 points. Top distributor Chelsea Drennan is back after setting a freshman school record with 12 assists in 2013, the second most overall in program history.

An exhibition match at Duke on Thurs., Aug. 14, is the first match of the 2014 campaign. After opening the regular season on the road at East Carolina on Fri., Aug. 22, South Carolina kicks off its home slate against Samford on Sun., Aug. 24, in Stone Stadium. Stay tuned to GamecocksOnline.com for updates throughout the preseason.

Season tickets are on sale now, with soccer fans getting the best deal ever offered for tickets. For $25 for adults and $10 for youth 17 and under, purchasers receive a season ticket to every men’s and women’s soccer match this season, 22 in all, for an average price of under $1.50 per contest. In addition, season-ticket buyers will get an exclusive Gamecock Soccer scarf. To take advantage of the offer, call 1-800-4SC-FANS (1-800-472-3267) or go to GamecocksOnline.com/tickets to purchase yours today.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"