Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16795 04/13/04 07:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahh, the rankings. Every year I tend to chuckle at the teams who schedule the easiest teams and win all of them, of course. These teams (Wando, Aiken) and possibly Socastee, although they played two very good teams from GA, soar in the rankings and create a huge buzz but the fact is other teams in the state are as good or better for playing better competition. I think teams even in the lower half of the top 15 could knock off Wando and Aiken on a given day, just because they aren't prepared. Come time for playoffs, it will be interesting how these teams fare for the lack of strong competition throughout the season. Until then, the rankings will continue to misrepresent the top teams in the state.

#16796 04/13/04 08:10 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
I agree with you that there are untested teams in the upper part of the rankings. This stems from a lack of soccer schools in certain areas of the state. This then leads to a weak schedule, and possible problems in the playoffs. I also believe that the teams that play in tournaments toward the end of the season tend to do worse. I would think that you would want to rest your players and get them ready for the final push into the playoffs. Oh well, good luck to all the teams coming into the final stretch of the season. It should be an interesting year when the playoffs get here.

#16797 04/13/04 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you retarted?

Aiken lost 3 players from a team who lost in PKs in the state semifinals last year. We beat Irmo by two goals in our second game, and we beat Greenwood by two in our first game. We also beat South Aiken last night, and beat both NA and Lexington. We play the #6 3A team tomorrow, and a decent team from Georgia next week. Our out-of-region schedule looks like this:

Greenwood(home and home), Dreher, Irmo, and Evans.

I'd hardly call that "scheduling the easiest teams". Add in the fact that we play in one of the top regions in the state, and you'd have to be an idiot to downplay our schedule. And for what it's worth, being ranked high has NO effect on how well-prepared a team is.

By the way, T.L. Hannah sucks, Mauldin sucks, Hillcrest can't participate in the playoffs from what I heard, we already stomped Greenwood, Spring Valley sucks, Fort Mill sucks, we sent Ridge View home last year(but they don't suck), South Aiken already stomped Hilton Head, and Dutch Fork is about the same as Irmo, whom we, again, beat by two. All we even have to worry about is South Aiken and Northwestern up until state championship. Summerville seems pretty good, but I'm thinking they're lower state.

In any case, that was the most jealous, thoughtless post I've read in months. Congrats on being inferior.

#16798 04/13/04 08:30 PM
World Cup
World Cup
soccerboy, I thought your comment below was interesting, so I pulled a "fact sheet" from the 2004 Palmetto Cup program that states:

quote:
I also believe that the teams that play in tournaments toward the end of the season tend to do worse. I would think that you would want to rest your players and get them ready for the final push into the playoffs.
Number of Times That a Team Played in the Palmetto Cup and Won Their Classification's State Championship in the Same Year -- 9

Bishop England (2001-2A, 1998-2A/1A)
Cardinal Newman (2000-SCISA)
Christ Church (2003-1A, 2002-1A, 2001-1A)
Porter-Gaud (2003-SCISA, 2001-SCISA)
Summerville (1999-4A)

Number of Teams That Played in the Palmetto Cup and Played for Their Classification's State Championship -- 8

Bishop England (2002-2A)
Brookland-Cayce (2002-3A, 2001-3A)
Dutch Fork (1998-4A)
Porter-Gaud (1999-SCISA)
Ridge View (2001-4A, 2000-4A)
Summerville (1997-4A)

#16799 04/14/04 02:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not a big fan of Aiken, but they def deserve their ranking. Wando on the other hand is another story.

#16800 04/14/04 03:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Headstrong, Aiken is definitely good but I hope I get to see you in the playoffs and prove that TL Hanna definitely doesn't suck.

#16801 04/14/04 12:03 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Just for a little clarification, I was not including Aiken in the list of teams with easy schedules. But thanks for putting words into my mouth. They have a farly tough schedule. headstrong, you seem a bit agitated, anything bothering you? And Kyle, I understand that there have been some teams that have participated in the tourny at the end of the year and have gone on, but my post was directly linked to AAAA. AAAA has not had too many teams go on and win after playing in a tournament towards the end of the season. Summerville would have been a good example of a winner that played in the Palmetto Cup. Other than that, I believe that that is it. It is just my opinion that the teams should be a little rested and healty befoe going into the playoffs.

#16802 04/14/04 02:20 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
By the way headstrong, you spell retarted, retarded. Hmmm.....

#16803 04/14/04 05:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it has come to my attention through unnamed sources that headstrong is not on the Aiken soccer team, in fact he is the team's waterboy. wow! those are some harsh words coming from a guy who fills the water bottles. it is quite funny to me that a water boy would even attempt to talk junk about other soccer teams. so with all that said lets all just disregard what he said b/c quite frankly his opinion doesn't count i mean he's a waterboy for godsake. But i would like to say that i am a big fan of Calder Reardon. he defines the phrase "true balla" his little brother sky is pretty good too but he's nothing compared to Calder. Calder is just amazing in goal and on the field so i do give Aiken their props on being number 2 in the state i mean after all they do have Calder

#16804 04/14/04 07:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
marking back, i guess if your schools meet in the playoffs you can just point and laugh at him instead [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard