Too much?

Do we spend too much of our tax money on high school sports?

Are high school coaches overpaid and what’s the proper role of athletics, football particularly, in high school?

That depends, of course, on your point of view.

Chronicle reader Lake Shealy of Lexington voiced his suspicions in this letter.

“I want to congratulate Hillcrest High School and football Coach Greg Porter on their Class 4A Division 1 State Championship vs. Dutch Fork at Williams-Brice Stadium,” he wrote.

“The Rams proved that money cannot buy everything, including state titles. No doubt that the Rams played with a chip on their shoulder and dominated the final three quarters.

“Kudos to Greenville County for not joining the arms race of prep football in the Midlands.”

Reader Shealy raises an even more critical question.

“The purpose of prep sports, just like other extra curricular activities, is to provide a balance for the students in the educational system and another venue of a classroom,” he wrote.

“According to your website’s (LexingtonChronicle.com) 2012 coaching salaries, Coach Porter earned $65,190 compared to $106,214 for Coach Tom Knotts of Dutch Fork.

“That seems to be lost not only in Lexington-Richland 5, but neighboring districts Lexington 1 and 2.

“I would say Coach Porter has earned his keep this year,” he concluded.

Are these legitimate questions to raise? In a free society where the taxpayers pick up the tab, they certainly are.

I invite you to support or take issue with me or reader Shealy.

Got an outrageous opinion of your own? Write me at SportsGrouch@aol.com