Wilson is National Coach Educator of Year

Quote:
Three Spartanburg High School coaches have been named recipients of National Federation of State High School Association awards.

Myles Wilson was honored as National Coach Educator of the Year. The former Vikings athletic director is the Spartanburg School District 7 athletic administrator for athletic facilities and operations.

Wilson helped lead a three-year endeavor to encourage those throughout the district to require coaches to earn Accredited Interscholastic Coach certification through the NFHS. District Superintendent Russell Booker announced in August of last year that all middle and high school coaches would have to finish the certification by the end of the year. The district covered the costs.

District 7 is the first in the state to require the AIC program. Online courses offered in the program include coaching fundamentals, first aid, health and safety for coaches, concussions and sport-specific course chosen by the coach.

Wilson said the award wasn't expected.

“That surprised me,” he said. “I didn't know that award existed. I'm really humbled. It's the people that I worked with that really did this. Russell Booker, (athletic director) Todd Staley and the three middle school principals really helped a lot in this.”