Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
So the SCHL does not pass a resolution to make the Private Schools play one classification up.

These schools have no business playing among the SCHL schools.

Their demographics, their ability to offer scholarships are not what the SCHL schools are all about.

If they are "too good" to go to the school they are zoned for, then they can just go play among themselves.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
The private schools should not have the option to play in the SCHSL. They should be in SCISA with the other private schools. We have about a dozen boys (all varsity caliber players) zoned for Greenville High that attend local private schools. This would make a huge difference in the quality of the team that we could field.

2004-07 #1 in Nation
O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
I have heard and read all of the rhetoric about the private schools playing in the SCHSL. Should they play with SCISA which actually provides that caveat for those member "private schools"? Perhaps.

I know Christ Church, St. Joseph's, Southside Christian, Bishop England, etc., would make that Association much stronger and competitive. It would also provide those parochial schools a chance to compete against their "like" brethren: Hilton Head Christian; Porter-Gaud; First Baptist; Cardinal Newman; Heathwood Hall; Florence Christian; etc. However, that is likely never going to happen.

A friend of mine who is Catholic had a son who played baseball in Mount Pleasant. His daughter went to Wando. His son chose to attend Bishop England primarily based on the fact that he could play 2-3 years of varsity baseball for the Bishops instead of JV baseball for the Warriors until his senior year. Worked out well for that family who had to come up with $6,000 annually for BEHS tuition and provide transportation to Daniel Island (20-25 minute drive instead of five minutes).

So, what is fair? My question is why there is no scrutiny of these "Magnet", "Charter", "IB", "Collegiate", "Academy", or "Early/Middle College" schools that allows students from anywhere in those counties to go to other schools they are not originally zoned for based on where they live. When I think of Academic Magnet, James Island Charter, Charleston Charter, J.L. Mann, etc., you can't tell me it's a level playing field when these schools attract students from all over their region.

Five classifications seems fair to me and I don't care if they "adjust" the ruling on the private school SCHSL members or not. JUST WIN BABY!

Brace
Brace
So, what is fair? My question is why there is no scrutiny of these "Magnet", "Charter", "IB", "Collegiate", "Academy", or "Early/Middle College" schools that allows students from anywhere in those counties to go to other schools they are not originally zoned for based on where they live. When I think of Academic Magnet, James Island Charter, Charleston Charter, J.L. Mann, etc., you can't tell me it's a level playing field when these schools attract students from all over their region

To answer this: SCHSL does not control district level decision-making, nor should they. Many districts allow students to cross attendance lines within in order to take advantage of the various legitimate and outstanding academic programs they offer, such as the ones you listed, and that appeal to individual needs. I am not sure what you mean by scrutiny. But, athletes, who establish eligibility in 9th grade, are highly scrutinized when they transfer to another member school.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
I wonder how many students attend Christ Church that actually live in the District where Christ Church is located, which is the Southside High School District.

Also, Christ Church, St. Joseph's and the like, it's fair when they line up to compete with the Lockharts of the world???? Please?

And, these Private Schools with their "fat pocketbooks" are able to offer better facilities, better coaches, many of whom they hire away from the public sector. Again I will use Christ Church as an example, let's see, the football coach, basketball coach, lacrosse coach, soccer coach all hired away from Greenville County High Schools, all very successful at their previous schools.

Goal
Goal
When a school is winning 10 state championships in a row and 8 of the last 9, something doesn't seems right about that.

Back when I coached in Aiken/North Augusta, I knew of kids that lived in Chapin that were playing at Irmo.
Summerville football used to find a way to get all of the superstar athletes to come there to play.

The solution isn't an easy one. Make private schools play up, make them play other private schools... who knows.

Maybe 5 classifications will help. Maybe not.

Kickoff
Kickoff
I know Christ Church has had players from Anderson which is a good 30 minutes away. Of course some students live that far from their actual attendance zone high school. School zones, attendance policies, etc., all seem to be a moot point these days. Doesn't really matter if you are connected to the right people.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
James Island Charter isn't a real "Charter" school. It's still the zoned public
school, and though kids can apply to come here, we don't (and can't) recruit for athletics. We have an IB program, and I've had a couple of players who were in the IB program, but anyone who has ever tried to have a conversation with my players knows we aren't
Academic Magnet (a running joke on the team). In the end, the added number of students has only increased our school population without aiding athletics and kept us in a higher classification.

As has been mentioned many times, a more accurate means of classification would be a ratio of student population to number of student-athletes.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
All Private Schools semi's and final.

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Bomber
All Private Schools semi's and final.

Shocker there!

Victory Starts Here!
Page 1 of 2 1 2